“A peaceful place in a big, big city”
Review of Hotel Locarno Rome

Hotel Locarno Rome
Ranked #577 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I will freely admit that I was intimidated by Rome. I had heard of all the crazy crowds and driving, and I'm kind of a country mouse. Visiting and touring Rome was certainly worth the stress and frenzy, but we also found a wonderful oasis in the Hotel Locarno.
My wife and I and our three children (10,8,6) arrived at the hotel, and immediately the very pleasant people and the wonderful throwback (art deco-ish) decor made us feel very relaxed. They very kindly moved us into the "suite," which was really like a large flat -- three bedrooms, two baths, and a nicely sized gathering area. The kids loved the "birdcage" elevator, and walking up the five flights of stairs was a pretty good exercise for me. The rooms were clean, the bathrooms more than serviceable, and the location was amazing. Locarno isn't cheap (is anything in Rome?), but I felt we were at least getting what we paid for, without the feel like we were staying in some odd spa/safe house.
The hotel's bar should have its own review, as it has some of the most amazing cocktails. Do not leave before ordering at least one negroni. And it turned out to be what looked like a fairly hip place for the slightly younger crowd as the evening got late (I went to bed).
The breakfast (in the lovely garden area, shaded in what I think was wistaria ) was a highlight for the kids, as well, with a great selection of fruit, meat, and cereal. It wasn't a crazy, kids-running-around-everywhere hotel, but for little ones that do well in restaurants, it was a terrific spot.
Again, the location was great, within a 3 minute walk of Popola and several great shopping and dining streets. But it is wonderfully tucked away, quiet, and - well...civilized.
A short cab ride gets you to the Vatican, the Forum, or pretty much anywhere else. I think we took about 20 minutes or so to walk from the hotel to the Borghese.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Can't say enough about the "family suite"!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tballgame

Reviewed November 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here recently and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The location near Piazza del Popolo was great. An easy walk to the Borghese gardens and museum which were highlights of our trip. The breakfast buffet was nicely done with Prosecco and a comfortable, relaxing outdoor garden and indoor space in which to enjoy it. Our room on the 3rd floor was quiet and comfortable, though hot. The hotel staff accommodated us with fans that made it better. The rooftop terrace was a lovely place to bring a picnic (hotel food and drink extremely over priced, but many nearby markets that are economical). Staff was pleasant and helpful. There were some wonderful, reasonably priced restaurants on the street. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Third floor or higher for the quiet.
2  Thank KarenD1175
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We recently spent 5 nights at this highly recommended smaller hotel. Having visited Rome many times before we were delighted with the location and, in particular, the side street with little traffic.

Staff were nice and certainly friendly but the overall hotel is very dark. Starting from the entrance lobby and the bar area all the way to our room everything is very poorly lit. Reading in bed was next to impossible due to low illumination. We got the last room available and it was small, even by Italian hotel standards. Beds were comfortable and the House boy , foreign of course, did a nice job of converting the twin beds into a single larger bed.

On the plus side the courtyard linking the two buildings is lovely for morning coffee and for late afternoon drinks. The hotel includes wifi but it is not user friendly. Ours only worked in the ground floor area and required re-signing in every single time you went on line- most annoying.

The location is excellent with good restaurants nearby along with several major tourist sites within easy walking distance

Room Tip: Check earlier than you think necessary and ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Steve S
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This was my first trip to Rome, but I knew what area I wanted to be in by advice of friends that have been to Rome several times.

I booked Locarno by way of hotwire. I had an area I knew I wanted to be in and choose a 4-star hotel and held my breathe that the hotel would be a good one. When it came through and I looked up Locarno online, I have to say I was a bit disappointed by their website (a bit outdated website) and the trip advisor reviews.

Then when we arrived - we were first blown away by the sitting area that we walked through to get to the front desk. It was an outside sitting/bar area with a fountain, flowers, and greenery. We realized during our stay that this bar area was quite a hot-spot despite the higher drink prices. It was esp. busy in the evening. There is also a roof-top terrace.

The hotel has interesting 20's style decor. I know it gets a bad wrap on trip advisor, but we really liked it. It's very unique, and went well with a Rome vacation. We didn't want the same-old Hilton looking hotel. We loved the elevator. Small, but interesting.

The very best thing about this hotel, is the location. You are literally down the street from a fun piazza (piazza of the people), it always seemed to have something going on.

And you are around the corner from the street del corzo, with tons of shopping that leads to the Spanish steps. You can walk it or take the 117 bus for 1,50 euros down the street and I think even to the the coliseum. I would recommend the bus over a cab. You can walk to the vatican, and several other areas of interest.

The good about our room: we loved the big window, and interesting decor.

Things that could be improved: the shower was small and there was no area to put our shampoo etc. Could use a shower self. I would recommend requesting a room with a bath tub.

There was only 3 electric outlets and only 2 worked. Not a good situation with 2 women on vacation. We had to take turns blow drying our hair, and curling our hair.

The beds are hard, but some how we slept well. The hotel is pretty quiet.

The safe was broken and small, so we didn't use it. That was a inconvenient as we were warned about pick pockets. So we had to carry everything with us during the day.

The full breakfast is terrific, and you can also have continental breakfast delivered to the room for an additional minor fee.

The staff were friendly and had helpful tips. They also spoke English.

I think if Locarno would invest in some upgrades like working safes, additional outlets, and better bedding their reviews and reservations would greatly improve. But at the end of the day I would stay again for the location and charm alone.

Room Tip: Get a room with a bathtub.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Carrie4747
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I planned 15 days vacation in Rome, Capri and Malta a treat after several surgeries. I love to plan the trips myself and had planned to stay at the hotel we stayed at in Rome 7 years ago ( Hotel Modigliani- which is wonderful. On finding they were fully booked I started doing the homework. Everything I read about the Locarno sounded great.
We arrived early on Sept 21st, but found we were able to check into our room early. Room is definitely a little quirky, but that's what we like. The facilities were well maintained daily.
The garden/bar was beautiful to have breakfast or drinks, and the breakfast buffet was outstanding. The rooftop terrace was great to sit in the afternoon as well.
Here's the best part- the staff. Stefano at reception was incredibly helpful in suggesting restaurants when we told him the type we wanted- particularly when we asked about one we had walked by in the Borghese Gardens. He knew we would prefer not too "touristy", which, even thought the food was good, it was.
We would definitely return and refer friends to it.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We thouroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Locarno in october 2013.

We booked a Junior Suite which was nicely decorated in art-déco style. The room was very large - unfortunately the bed was terribly squeeky which made it almost impossible to find sleep. Breakfast was great - we could even take it in the lovely courtyard and we had no problem getting coffee or tea - staff was quite attentive.

The whole positively old-fashioned atmosphere of the hotel was very pleasing to us and we liked coming back for a nice drink at the bar after a busy day of sight-seeing. Reception staff was extremely friendly and eager to organize private transport to airport (which was even a Little cheaper than the official fare). The location is just great - we discovered Rome by feet, starting every day from the Hotel and we never walked more than 45 minutes to get to the important sights (and we walked very slowly).

Prices are high - yes indeed, but then that is what we expected in a city like rome, and accordingly we planned our budget. In general, we loved the Hotel.

The only thing which we do not like are the small double beds in European hotels - we don't understand why we cannot have rooms with two queen size beds - we are not used to sleeping in small beds and this always is a big hassle when travelling.

Besindes that, we would certainly choose the Hotel Locarno again to stay at in Rome whenever we return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I cannot speak for the annex bldg., but the main bldg. is old and worn out.
Initially we were given Room 105 ( a Double ) - Terrible: Room was cramped,
dimly lit ( as is the dining room and other areas ), Dresser could not be opened ( no knobs ! ),
Ancient TV did not work; Room safe was blow-torched open ( an eyesore & inconvenience ),
Walls were worn and dirty. Shower had moldy tile. We complained & were given Room 205
which was a bit cleaner, but the bed springs made it uncomfortable. To be fair,
the strong point is good location and the price ( we paid $333 a night in mid -Sept) would be reasonable IF the furnishings were upgraded, better maintained and cleaned. Rich B

Room Tip: Avoid Room 105