“best dinner in Rome”

La Dispensa dei Mellini
Reserve with
La Dispensa dei Mellini is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #150 of 13,322 Restaurants in Rome
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was our final dinner in Rome, and after our extremely disappointing evening at Ragno d'Oro the night before, we were hoping this evening would make us forget this very negative experience. La Dispensa did more than that, it was fantastic.
Everything we ordered - two pasta's, one of which with truffels, and two meat dishes, one of which with iberico porc - we're cooked to perfection. I understand the prevous poster's remark about the menu, but when we came in nobody else needed the menu, so we had lots of time to make our choice, helped by the lovely waitress. I can't say a bad word about the food, the service, the surroundings, the wine, ... I was dying to taste their deserts, but to afraid to explode if I had another bite, so I passed and enjoyed an espresso with an excellent grappa. Being used to Belgian restaurant prices, La Dispensa is formidable value. Very warmly recommended!!!

1  Thank slaceb

Reviewed March 30, 2013

We ate here after reading good reviews on TA and realised that it was in staggering distance from our hotel. It's a small place, facing the river and is easy to miss.

The atmosphere inside is pleasant and the young woman doing most of the service was immediately welcoming. The young guy whom I took to be the owner spent rather too much of his time watching football on his computer to assist her for the greater part of the evening.

The food we had was well cooked and generally nicely presented and at the upper end of what we paid in the three or four restaurants we visited. I had a fillet of pork from a breed of black pig that was especially pleasant although the Roman crisp shape chips that came with it were rather on the cool side when I got them and not half so eatable as the freshly fried ones I had at Piccolo Irpinia the following night. Vegetable tempura and a cheese and potato starter were, however excellent.

What irked me about the place, apart from our being deprived of the attention of the male part of the serving team due to sporting commitments, was the absence of a usable menu. What served as a bill of fare was a small two sided blackboard being toted about the tables. The result was that one was faced with the menu and the server much at the same time and the business of deciding what to have from a reasonably long list became a rather truncated affair. Admittedly, the board was left for perusal while others were being served but not for the amount of time that allowed civilised thought.

I realise that some may find this arrangement to their liking but I can't see the point to it other than as a means to organise when customers may start their deliberations as to what they are going to eat. I don't mind a blackboard on the wall, I don't mind a bit of paper with the dishes scribbled or typed on it but I need something to look at for a few minutes before I make my choice, not a quick shufti with a server standing over me, helpful or not.

1  Thank retiredstudent
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Owner/manager of the restaurant was very helpful, and keen to explain the menu, which was extensive. His command of English wasn't bad, but he kept apologising for not being that good. That all added to the charm. The food was lovely, the best we had, but the downside was that it wasn't very hot. Shame. The plates were stone cold. The owner was keen to help us choose a nice bottle of wine, and the overall experience was good. Wish we'd gone a second time.

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I ate here on our first night in Rome as TA advised it was one of the best near to our hotel and we were not dissappointed. The food was excellent and freshly prepared. The staff took time to explain the menu to is in English and we enjoyed the wine he recommended too. My wife had pasta and it was superb and my need steak tower with potatoes and sauce was excellent. Many locals came in to eat as the evening proceeded which made the atmosphere great too. The tiramisu, coffee and grappa to finish the meal did not let it down either. A must if nearby.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

A great place, tiny and warm, I've felt to be at home.
Overall the atmosphere is just what you need after a day spent walking in Rome.
Eleonora and Lorenzo are excellent host.
The bill wasn't expensive though, especially considering the superlative quality of the food.
I can't wait to go back in Rome to taste other specialities.
Next time I'll go earlier than 9:30pm as most of the tasteful dishes were not available.

3  Thank Orazio D