“Run away from here!”

Cuisines: Italian
Neighborhood: Vatican / Borgo
Neighborhood: Vatican / Borgo
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

We went looking for some authentic Italian after our tour of the Vatican and decided this place looked nice. We say down and ordered the house white wine. While we waited we saw the people at the table next to us getting all roiled up and asked for the food as it had been a long time. By the time our wine came the table next to us had actually sent a few dishes back to the kitchen as they were in edible! We should have guess that it wasn't a good restaurant but we thought the table next to us may have been over finicky. We ordered a salami pizza and penne arrabiata. The penne was ok, but could very easily have passed for frozen-re heated food. The pizza was so flavourless it was like eating a crust of old bread. Had we been the type we too would have sent the food back. However we laboured through the meal and ran through the door as quickly as we could! Avoid this place at all costs!

1  Thank Sanamedwards
There are newer reviews for Trattoria Ciao

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Ciao is situated in the typical Rome's Borgo neighborhood embracing the Vatican. In Borgo Pio street ( Via) exist several restaurants but this typical, rustic and simple trattoria offers delicious food at affordable prices. Don't expect first class service or elegant tables, but if you need a place to dine while sightseeing in a comfortable atmosphere and tasty dishes try this one. They have free Wi-Fi.

1  Thank Chispi23
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We were at St.Peter on the evening of 1st January and I decided to stop for dinner at this place.The other (high rated in Tripadvisor) were closed. We order : 1- rigatoni Amatriciana 2-Pizza Napoli and 3- Arrosto (roasted beef). I sent back the rigatoni, as Italian I refuse to eat pasta over cook and they clearly told me that I could not get an aldente one (so I did not eat)! My mum didn't get the roasted beef but scaloppine (it was decent at least). My wife order the pizza despite I told her that only in Napoli (where I'm from) it is very good. As imagine she got a nice frisbee (hard and tiny base) with a decent topping. The pizza was burnt in some part. The waiters forgot to bring the bread. My feeling is what Italian define a "tourist restaurant" , fast service that make the food not good, there is not concept of fast food in Italian cousin. I suggest that for those tourist look for delicious Italian meal bring with you also patient because making nice dishes required time. Thanks to you those restaurant are still "alive" when they should be close!

2  Thank pepprom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We had dinner here and the food was delicious. It arrived warm and just the right portion size. It was moderately priced. Service was excellent. Would definitely eat there again!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Service is good. Food's are also good...in generale . Excellent. .... I think in rome zone San Pietro one of best restaurant ever seen before.....

Been to Trattoria Ciao? Share your experiences!