“They let a rose street vendor in”
Review of Trattoria Ciao

Trattoria Ciao
Ranked #9,700 of 12,590 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Neighborhood: Vatican / Borgo
Neighborhood: Vatican / Borgo
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

I am so upset I am leaving my first review: without even having to describe the food quality (average to slightly below average), or the service (non-existent; the one employee we consistently saw was on his phone 80% of the time) all I would have needed to know is that they let one of the rose vendor scam artists (try to get you to take a rose and then make you pay for it) inside. He strolled in with nary a word or glance from any of the employees and tried to hawk his wares at our table. I counted - we had to firmly say "no" six times before he left us to prey on the next table. I was appalled that this even happened, and wonder if he was buddies with the employees. My recommendation: avoid.

2  Thank europefam
There are newer reviews for Trattoria Ciao

Reviewed November 13, 2012

They had a person outside trying to draw business. When we passed by we told him we were heading for another place on the Borgo Pio. He said Trattoria Ciao was better! The place we wanted to try was closed (it was a Sunday) so we decided to go back to Ciao. A big disappointment. It was a rainy night and the place was near empty (should have been a sign). We got put way in the back (out of the way). It took quite a bit of time to get waited on, and the meal was so so. Really low quality from what we had been having. We shared two pasta dishes. The porcini mushroom sauce was so bad we avoided for a couple of weeks anything that had them. The meatballs were very bland and had what tasted like too much nutmeg, or cinnamon! (Note: Fortunately later in the trip we had the same porcini mushroom dish it was delicious - so we learned what it was suppose to taste like!) It was not an expensive place, but quality & taste left something to be desired.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is a nice little place, unpretentious, with a nice menu. Family-run, the wait staff is efficient and friendly. I recommend the
spaghetti with tuna and olives - nice! Check it out for a fairly priced option in an area that is mostly a tourist trap for eating out.

Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

We ate there by chance as we were on our way to the museum and I forgot to read the reviews.. Otherwise, maybe I would have choosen differently. We decided to eat there because the place was almost full. We had the soup of the day (which was minestrone) at 6,5euro and fetucinne boscaiola (I think...they were the ones with cream, sausages, peas and mushrooms) at 10 eur. They were both really interesting and great tasting.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

Food is too oily, taste is ok, but just ok, don't expect something delicious. Portions are huge, a lot of cheese, prepared well.
It is a lot of good restaurants on this street, so don't wast your time.

Been to Trattoria Ciao? Share your experiences!