“Nothing to much trouble”
Review of Occidental Aurelia

Occidental Aurelia
Ranked #209 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I and my partner stayed on a three night break. The staff were fantastic, from the moment we arrived to the moment we checked out - nothing was a problem. We stayed in a standard room and to be honest, for a city break with so much to see, a standard room was more than enough. The room was clean with everything one could need. We walked every day to the Metro which is about 10 minutes away - not a problem for us at all. The road outside is busy and the path is narrow but heh it is a city after all!! We dined in the restaurant twice due to busying ourselves out during the day. Service was flawless and the food was reasonably priced considering it was a hotel. All in all I cannot fault this hotel at all; wonderful staff, clean and good location. Staff encouraged us to buy a Roma pass at the reception - was worth every penny. Thank you for a lovely stay

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Aby C

Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Much like other reviews I wasn't expecting the world with this hotel. Considering what I paid for my whole holiday with flights etc.. I was expecting a standard hotel, somewhere to lay my head. I have to say.. This hotel really does deliver in many areas!! The rooms are really nice clean and modern, the general staff are pleasant and helpful but there are a few meanies so beware! The night receptionist (to whom we arrived at 00:30am) was very abrupt and none conversational, he was very 'matter of fact', which some may like, myself included on occasion, but when you have had a long journey a warm welcome is not too much to ask! Also the gentleman who works reception during the day is not much better, during checkout he stayed on the phone the whole time paying me no attention, he didn't say bye or thank you and has a continuous aggressive look on his face. The female staff here seem much friendlier than the men. There is a young Asian/Italian girl on reception... She does nothing so it's hard to be offended by her! The bar man is SO friendly and lovely make sure you give him the time of day because he will you! There were police at the hotel one morning and I had to have a porter re-set my room safe as it wouldn't open!! I think it had been tampered with but I'm not sure the two events were related, but I remember thinking maybe a thief has been on the prowl and successfully robbed someone else! I lost nothing though. The breakfast is basic and DO NOT eat at there 4th floor restaurant it's not worth it! Extremely basic and not cheap! The bar isn't cheap either €7 for a shot of vodka with NO mixer...... €7!!!! But like I said it is a gem (hahaha it really is sorry!) good stuff - warm, clean, modern, fantastic location, reliable taxi/bus services available to the city approx €8-12 to St Peters Sq in taxi and buses every 10mins but I'm too posh for that :p! So... Don't eat there, don't drink there, don't speak to the male staff and DO NOT try to access BBC on channel 881... There is only CNN haha!

It's actually fine and I loved it! But it's just the annoying stuff like friendly staff and being stingy with my hard earned (student finance) cash!

Would stay again!

• Stayed: February 2013
6  Thank Jaycub2013
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed at ESH 31 Jan. for 4 nights. Very helpful reception staff (helped us plan our site seeing everyday), lovely hotel, very clean rooms, bathroom and good variety of breakfast. 10 minutes walk to the station, bus stop right outside the hotel. Really enjoyed our stay there. Would definitely recommend it. Very central - easy to get everywhere.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank fruity12
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a 3 day break. We found the the staff exceptional from the moment we arrived, to our departure. The hotel is very clean and tidy, and the included breakfast is a fine way to start the day.
Mauricio and his staff even tried to secure us tickets to a Lazio football match, making personal phone calls and offering to pick up the tickets personally. This gesture was very much appreciated by us both.
Though the hotel is outside the city centre, the buses that stop outside the hotel run frequently to and from the city centre. The Vatican is about 10 minutes, and the city centre about another 5 minutes further on.
We would definitely stay here again in the future.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank CockneyHammer
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed here for three nights and found the hotel to be excellent. Very clean rooms with room service everyday. The breakfast was good plenty to eat. The bar man was very friendly and all the staff were helpful giving us information to catch buses and the metro. I would definitely return here and couldn't fault anything.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SarahDidim_Turkey
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

On arrival we were greeted by friendly evening staff.

Hotel room (303) was pretty small, stylish enough but just lacking something. Namely tea and coffee making facilities!

Bathroom sink would not drain away water very well, bin was broken.

Blanket on bed had one or two dirty marks and smelt a little like someone had been caught short whilst sitting on it.... However it was replaced without question. Not the best though, still.

The room was nice, small but nice.

We had dinner in the restaurant, which was only accessible by the lift for some reason, the food was very nice, and very cheap by hotel standards!

The staff in the restaurant were absolutely magnificent, nothing was to much trouble, we (2) had 2 mains, 1 starter, 2 appetizers, one beer, one OJ and some lemon based shots (gratis!) and a basket of bread, all for 36€!

The lift broke on the first morning. Was soon fixed though!

There was virtually no signs in the hotel, really badly layed out and difficult to get around, the stairs were misleading (from the third floor they lead to nowhere going up, when we tried to find the restaurant). But no signs / plans to tell us where anything was.

This hotel could have had a swimming pool, sauna and gym but no one has ever found it!

The lobby was nice, aswell as the bar area.

The hotel was a funny sort of place, it almost felt a bit segregated, like we weren't supposed to know about other areas in the building, or more expensive areas, if you will.

Location wise, bus 881 and 98 stop right outside the gate, and it's a 5 minute walk to Cornelia Metro station, which is very handy. Stupidly narrow footpath on the hotel side of the road so take care!

Overall, we've stayed in better (Travelodges have better in room facilities and layout!), but if we were marking the whole score based on the restaurant staff alone then it would be 10/10. In reality, all things considered - 6/10.

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank kaboloja
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed three nights in this hotel as part of a group. While the Hotel was clean, the rooms lacked character. Room was serviced daily and the common areas were always clean. Furnishings were a bit cheap and not very solid. Breakfast was quite good other than the Coffee and Cappuccinos were available only via a machine. I paid 10 euros for WiFi access during my stay. The staff were all pleasant. One of our group tried to walk to the nearest pharmacy but turned back, afraid for her safety on the road outside of the hotel. Fortunately, we had our own transportation so we didn't have the issues regarding location that some of the other reviewers discussed. Bar was a nice touch. Good wine and pleasant bartender. The hotel overall was pretty decent.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends