“Great food, good service. ”

Osteria del Sostegno
Ranked #741 of 14,714 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Colonna
Description: phone +39 06 679 38 42
Reviewed June 9, 2019 via mobile

We’ve gotten used to mediocre diffident service here in Rome. Since they really don’t expect tips they don’t even feel obliged to ACT willing to serve. This place was different. Good food, good service and no wait even though we didn’t have reservations. The zucchini, and artichoke appetizers were great! The carbonara and the artichoke pastas were wonderful. Hard to find as there’s no sign but worth the search. Recommended by our (small) hotel.

Date of visit: June 2019
Write a ReviewReviews (1,239)

Reviewed June 1, 2019 via mobile

We only waited for 5 minutes to get a table and were very happy with the service. Excellent advice from the waiter for the wine. And the pasta with funghi porcini were excellent. A bit less impressed with the melanzane alla parmiggiana. But the place was very pleasant and would definitely go back

Reviewed May 24, 2019

Every meal we had in Rome was excellent, but our dinner at Osteria del Sostegno was the best. The finest and freshest ingredients were perfectly prepared with, I think, confidence and love of regional traditions. I thought I knew a little bit about good food until I traveled to Italy...silly me. Now I believe that the Italians understand food on a whole different level from the rest of the world. These people are serious about food. Our friend, Keith, recommended Osteria del Sostegno. Thank you, Keith!

Reviewed May 19, 2019

This is a popular restaurant because we were lucky to get in while a stream of others that came later were knocked back. Funny really - My pork looked like a few slices of thin breakfast ham put on a plate with a few potatoes sprinkled in a sauce over the top. I took photos to show the people back home how bad food can be. My wife had asparagus lasagna which she would go back for every time. As it is a very busy restaurant the waitresses were run off their feet so service was minimal. However the overriding problem was that the door at the front of the restaurant banged like a slamming door every time the waiters went to procure goods from the storeroom. Even the people at the table next to us complained & the answer was that it was a problem of wind. Let me say that there was not one gust before, during or after. They simply didn't care. Just imagine sitting next to a door that really slams shut - the staff don't even try to mitigate the noise by putting a hand out to reduce the bang. The people who got turned away were the lucky ones.

1  Thank Janis K
Reviewed May 19, 2019 via mobile

Excellent food. The carbonera and bruschetta were can't miss and make sure to get a bottle of the house red. We were lucky to walk-in on Sunday afternoon but you should make a reservation.

Date of visit: May 2019

Been to Osteria del Sostegno? Share your experiences!