“Good value - recommended”
Review of Machiavelli's Club

Machiavelli's Club
Ranked #121 of 12,764 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Esquilino
Reviewed July 20, 2014

This is a late review as have been waiting for Mauro to send me the Tonnarelli recipe he promised me but despite requesting it in both Italian & English I am still waiting - please Mauro !!!
The restaurant is quite difficult to find being not in the CBD & down an alley . Our dinner was a birthday treat from our son in London as he had tried it the previous year & had really enjoyed it .
Mauro explains all the menu items & the wines to you personally & is very passionate & enthusiastic re the ingredients & their origins. He takes time to ask you about wines you enjoy & to pair them with the food you choose - there is no wine list . If you do not like his choice he will give you others to try . Wines are very reasonably priced as in fact the entire menu . As previously mentioned the Tonnarelli with bacon was delicious -I am not a pasta fan ( a crime in Italy ! ) & it was by far the most fresh & delicious I have ever had .
The restaurant is not large but provides very good value & is recommended . Our charming waitress Katya was friendly & efficient ( & run off her feet whilst Mauro was busy charming the customers & explaining the food !) - they provided a good balance to each other & it worked well . The menu changes weekly . A complimentary Limoncello at the end of the meal is a nice touch too .

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Long story made short we spent 3 weeks in Italy for our Honeymoon and we traveled to all the major cities in Italy. This was our first meal and one of THE BEST. It's a hard place to find and we walked past it 2 times. Me and my wife and 4 other people were the only ones in the restaurant and we thought it might be a flop but it was FANTASTIC! We originally thought that maybe we liked it so much because it was one of our first meals in Italy but at the end of the trip we still agreed that it was in our top 3 favorites in all of Italy. We are not the type to just go to any restaurant on the tourist train and stop in. We ask around to locals and do our research because we appreciate passionate restaurant owners that provide good quality food and service. This had good quality food and the girl that waited on us was very friendly and punctual. We really enjoyed this restaurant and recommend it to anyone that wants a good meal.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

We had seen reviews of Machiavelli's on Trip Advisor and decided to book a table for our trip to Rome - and we weren't disappointed!!

The owner, Mauro, knew who we were as we walked in and made us feel so welcome. We received a complimentary glass of prosecco which we had whilst he talked us through the menu and going into great detail about where the ingredients came from and how they were put together for the dishes.

The menu is changed weekly, and because of this there are maybe 3 or 4 choices per course - but all choices sounded delicious. We shared a pasta starter, and it was literally the best pasta I'd ever tasted!! We then had lamb cutlets and braised veal cheek - both were unbelievably good!!! But back to the pasta.....I mentioned it was the best I'd ever tasted, so I decided to have a second portion for my dessert!!!

Mauro talked to us about wine, and he doesn't believe the wine should cost more than your meal, so every bottle was €20. He recommended us a bottle of red, but said if we didn't like it he'd open another until we found one we liked, but they first bottle was really great - and this is coming from a non wine drinker!!!

Overall, if you're in Rome, this is simply a must!!!

2  Thank SteveHibby
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Booked in advance to dine at this coveted restaurant per tripadvisor. The hostess was wonderful and the servings of alcohol copious; however, the meals sounded many times better than they tasted. As my Italian friend once said - if you want to eat well in Rome then dine at a Jewish restaurant.

5  Thank Majk13
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Food and ambience was simply excellent in this "hard-to-find" but very special little hidden place. Mauro knows best about his food, origin of ingredients and wines! You can ask him anything and he will make some time for you! Would definitely come back any time!

1  Thank rubmid