“Fantastic place to stay and central!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Albergo del Sole Al Pantheon

Albergo del Sole Al Pantheon
Ranked #262 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Birmingham
“Fantastic place to stay and central!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here for 5 days during April 2013 and have to say it was fantastic! The location was out of this world. We were right in the square where the Pantheon is, couldn't have asked for better. Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain and all the usual 'must do' sightseeing were within a 10 minuite walk. The Colusseum and the Vatican were the furthest away and even they were only a 15-20 minute pleasant walk away. The hotel itself was very clean and the staff were lovely and welcoming our room was not amazing (although very large and immaculately clean)and the view was of the courtyard but lets be honest how much time do you spend in your hotel? :) The bed was very comfortable and that's what counts. Breakfast was amazing with plenty of food for all tastes and appetites. I would stay here again anytime with pleasure and would highly recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
Easton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

The hotel has two buildings. One with the reception and breakfast, and one that is located just across the square. The room was clean and had decent space for our family of four. We could not get the TV to really work, but that was okay, because we weren't in Rome to watch TV (it's just a little annoyance when things don't work). The bathroom and shower in our particular room were incredibly small, almost ridiculously small. It was difficult to take a shower in a space that was probably 2.5 ft x 2.5 ft. We were travelling with friends, and we saw that the rooms are all pretty unique, and that there were spacious bathrooms in some of the other rooms, so just make sure you get a room with a larger bathroom. The air conditioning was not very strong, and Rome was very hot when we arrived. The room was bearable, but the temperature in the room didn't get much cooler than about 76/77 degrees. The staff we encountered were extremely helpful and friendly. The doorman in particular was incredibly nice. The breakfast buffet had great choices, was fresh, and well stocked/maintained. The location is tremendous. You are right in the Pantheon square, and there was so much to do and see right there. I would say it was a very good hotel, and I would tell family and friends that it is fine to go there, but the bathroom was a bit of an issue.

Room Tip: The rooms are all different, so if you find yourself in a room you don't like, ask to see anothe...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is billed as the oldest hotel in Rome. It sits on the plaza at the Pantheon and is a small boutique hotel--very unique and pretty. Our room was clean, large (by European standards), air conditioned, updated and overlooked the plaza and Pantheon. Breakfast was included and was very generously stocked with a nice selection of fresh juices, cheeses, pastries, fruit, eggs, etc... I was pleasantly surprised at how many choices there were. It was a great start to the day.

To say the view of the Pantheon is amazing is an understatement. The window in our room opened out onto the Plaza and I can't fully describe the beautiful view of the Pantheon at night. It is so beautiful it almost looks like a prop. Simply stunning. The only drawback to our room was that you could hear the music and crowds all night. The crowds really weren't an issue but that accordion music was a bit much at times. That said, I would definitely stay here again because of the location and hotel but principally because of the staff.

I was traveling with my 80 year old Mother and she became quite ill on the second day of our stay and it continued into the night and the night manager was simply amazing! I speak very little Italian but thankfully he was fluent in english. Initially, it seemed that she could manage the illness without any medical intervention and during that time, he brought us warm tea, crackers, ice chips and basically anything I even thought might help her. He was so very kind, calm and helpful. Eventually, we needed an ambulance and he totally took charge of that and helped me understand what would happen; where we would likely go; how far away, etc....I can't fully describe how anxious I was about the fact I had to take my mother to the hospital in another country in the middle of the night, but he helped me stay calm and his kindness was so needed and appreciated.

The next morning I briefly returned to the hotel and the staff couldn't have been more supportive. It was obvious that he had told them what happened and they were standing at the ready to help and even got me an early breakfast so that I could return to the hospital as quick as possible. They kept the mini-fridge stocked with what we had asked for and even the housekeeping staff offered their assistance.

Fortunately, after being treated my mother was well enough to leave and again the staff was warm and welcoming on our return and ready to help. While we didn't get to see much of Rome, I felt like we saw the real Rome through the kindness of the staff at the hotel--especially the night manager. I am so thankful we stayed here and am grateful for all of his kindness and assistance.

Would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper you may want a higher floor and maybe room in back without the view.
1 Thank EAHTenn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

I initially chose this hotel for its central location, and I am pleased I did - the location was perfect. All of the main sights of Rome are within walking distance (Vatican, Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Forum, Palantino Hill, Spanish Steps etc). The piazza next to the Pantheon is full of charm and character (although not cheap!). The hotel itself is old and characterful, but if you stay in one of the family apartments you are not staying in the main hotel, you stay in the apartments opposite. The view is only of the side of the Pantheon, but this didn't bother us as we preferred to be outside anyway, passing our time between sightseeing by sitting in the piazza with a perfect view! The room is not the largest, but fitted a family of 4 (two teenage girls) without any problem. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The only slight negative was the air conditioning - there are two units - one in each of the rooms - but during our visit the temperature was mid 30's all of the time and even keeping the a/c units on 24hrs per day the rooms were on the warm side of comfortable! The staff were excellent - very friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble. For example, I brought the wrong lead with me to charge my camera. The desk clerk rummaged through multiple cables without any luck, but when I walked past the desk 2-3 hours later they called me over to say they had sourced the correct cable for me! The breakfast was typical hotel fare, but decent quality. Highly recommended!

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stayed 2 nights, the staff could not be more accommodating. A great location right in the center of Rome, overlooking the Pantheon. A delicious buffet breakfast is included to get your day started. I would stay there again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We have stayed three times over the past 12 years at the Sole del Pantheon. The rooms are wonderful, and I recommend asking for one with a jacuzzi, excellent for reviving tired legs after a full day of walking the streets of Rome. We love the comfortable outdoor breakfast area, and have been there also in winter when the indoor area is available too. Our room was not ready when we arrived from the US at 10 am so they just invited us to make ourselves comfortable in the courtyard and help ourselves to coffee. Oh, did I mention the frescoed ceilings in the rooms? Very comfortable quiet rooms, airconditioned.

Room Tip: Our rooms overlooked the Piazza della Rotunda but were quiet enough.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Heanor, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

We have just enjoyed a five night stay here it was our third visit to this hotel and it was just as good as before, friendly clean the breakfast choice is excellent and the location could not be better we will be back on our next trip to rome . Give it a try you will not be dissappinted.