“Lovely boutique hotel”

Ranked #41 of 1,259 Hotels in Rome
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Lovely boutique hotel”
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Hotel Hassler was a lovely boutique hotel. The service was wonderful. It was lovely to feel at home and safe in a city that is not always so!

The business center with two computers with free internet was wonderful! (It is not as easy to find free wi fi spots with the restrictions requiring ID for internet access).

The small fitness center is adequate and convenient and more than I would expect for a boutique hotel.

The only down side was the shower glass did not prevent a lot of water splatter. This seemed to be a problem in other European hotels I have stayed in as well, so I am not sure if it is a unique issue.

The restaurant on the sixth floor is expensive - the less known secret is that you can bring your own wine and sit on the sixth floor terrace and even order room service! I did that my last evening - a beautiful experience!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Geetika

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
miami
Reviewed June 21, 2010

My husband and I ended our 2 week Italy vacation here, and were very, very disappointed in this hotel, so disappointed that we re-named it the HOTEL HASSLE, because everything was a hassle.
We stayed in 5 star hotels throughout Italy, and 4 out of the 5 hotels that we stayed in were all LHW hotels, and they did not disappoint, until this one!!!
The reception when we checked in showed us around the hotel, showed us where breakfast was served, and explained that it was included in our rate, then we were taken to our room, which she told us was also upgraded (if this room was considered an upgrade, then I'd hate to see what our original room would have been like). Our room was filthy- garbage still in the trash can, dusty and overall very dark and small.
I'm not sure why they have turn down service, because I am not sure exactly what they do, because the only thing that was done when we had it was that the pillows from on top of the bed were "thrown" into a corner of the room, not even put away nicely in the closet. For what this hotel charges, they didn't even provide water at turn down, which EVERY other hotel that we stayed in did.
Next problem that we had was the next morning when we went to breakfast. There was a breakfast buffet, (no big deal), which included pastries, salami's, cheeses, and 2 chafing dishes of hot food, 1 eggs, and 1 with bacon (which there was never enough of because every time they filled it, by the time I got to it, it was gone). Again, all throughout our trip, we stayed in 5 star hotels, which included breakfast, with buffets just like this one, and even better. At the end of breakfast we were given a bill, in which we questioned, they said that only the pastries were included in our rate, and since we had "hot" food we would be charged an extra 10 euros. DISGUSTING is the first word that comes to mind when I think about this and what happened. Not only were we not told about this, but when we questioned them, they became so rude and argumentative, certainly not what you would expect from a 5 stay Luxury Hotel such as this one. We wound up going to the front, and again, the gentlemen became argumentative, and stated that hot food was not inlcuded, and we should have been told. A hotel of this class, should be ashamed of themselves. 500 euros a night, and to offer a what they call a buffet, and only allow some guest to have hot food is ridiculous!!! And to then argue with customers is even worse in my opinion. We didn't have time to speak to the manager as we had a tour reserved, but when we got back we spoke to the front desk manager, who was already briefed on what had happened, and did do the right thing, by removing the charge, and apologizing, but still that was not the point.
I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone. A friend of mine warned us not to stay here, and to stay at the DeRussie, but unfortunately we did not listen, as we thought the location of this hotel was great, and thought how bad could it be, as it was LHW, and has been around for a while. All I can say is I wish we had listened!!! I will say I did like the location, but not enough to overcome everything else that happened here. NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank jss25
Western Australia
Reviewed June 20, 2010

we spent one night in this hotel. It was really lovley.
We were given a room on the 5 th floor overlooking the Spanish steps. We had a small balcony and it was the perfect place to sit and watch the world go by. Getting out on to the balcony was tricky was the door had a security handle which we could not operate. we called for help and the person who dealt with out inquiry appeared cross that we were not able to open a door. He reluctantly appeared to show us how to operate the door. This was the only negative of the saty - they unhelpful demonstartor of door opening.

The room was interesting and very art deco. I loved it but I can see it is perhaps not to everyones tast. The bathroom was also fine with a good shower and a very intersting bath tub.
Mineral water was suppled which was a nice touch.

Breakfast was outside in the court yard. It was adequate but not an extensive menu. IThe quality was good and the staff attentive.
we ate in the resteraunt on the 6th floor that has panoramic viewsof Rome. The meal was expensive but what an experience. It was a truly wonderful meal - the food excelent and the service immpecable.
Weended the evening in the salon downstairs listening to the pianist. He was great and the bar staff were fun and friendly.
Yes a great place to stay. Expensive but great.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 24, 2010

We stayed here in 2003 and had a good experience. We returned in May 2010 and were very disappointed. Cleanliness was not up to par in our guest room and the bed was very uncomfortable.

The first room we were given had undergone a "recent" update and was done in Art Deco style -- not what I expected or wanted from an "old world" hotel like this. I hated the very dark, mottled brown-black tiles that covered the bathroom floor and walls, plus the cheesy yellow light fixture that covered most of the wall above the bathtub. I requested a different room.

The second room had a traditional decorating scheme, but seemed dated and had a pervasive smell --- I guess I'd call it "musty" for lack of a better word. The bed was so hard that I had backaches and spent the last two nights sleeping on the sofa. My husband discovered the reason -- both sides of the bed had a drawer built into the frame -- we were literally sleeping on boards covered by a mattress that was only 3-4 inches thick. My husband had backaches too, but was kind enough to let me have the sofa.

Our room had a small "gazebo" room attached to it -- nice in principle -- but outside, on a ledge, was an ashtray with cigarette butts that were there when we arrived and remained until we left, 5 nights later. In partial defense of housekeeping, this area was not intended for guest use. On the other hand, if you opened the curtain to look outside, you couldn't help but see it. I also saw several dust bunnies on the floor of our bedroom. One evening, the maid left her pass key in our room; that's a major no-no.

The rooftop restaurant is no longer open for breakfast and lunch; that was a big disappointment. That restaurant has a fabulous pano view and we very much enjoyed having breakfast there when we stayed at the Hassler in 2003.

I had written ahead to the concierge, asking him to make dinner reservations for all five nights that we were there. We were very disappointed in his recommendations. The food was of decent quality but not very interesting. We got the idea that he was just recycling the same recommendations the Hassler has been making for many years. So part-way through our stay, we ditched the concierge's recommendations and started selecting restaurants from our guide books (especially The Insider's Guide to Rome) and then we started having much more satisfying meals.

When I asked the concierges to change our reservations to restaurants I had picked out, I found them sometimes accomodating, but at other times, they tended to pooh-pooh restaurants which we later found to be much more satisfying than the ones they had booked us into. This led us to speculate that they might be receiving some kind of incentive from the restaurants that they were accustomed to recommending.

Service at breakfast was good. They offer two versions of their breakfast buffet -- the basic continental breakfast at 31 euros included pastries, fresh fruits, and dry cereals. This was included in our room rate (check the specific offer if you're thinking of staying here.) The higher level at approx. 40 euros included all of that plus scrambled eggs and breakfast meats and cheeses. The breakfast menu in the restaurant did not include any other options such as omelets or waffles; however, I had seen this on the room service menu for breakfast and so one morning, in the garden restaurant where breakfast is served, I ordered an omelet. It took 25 minutes for it to arrive.

Service at the small restaurant/bar in the lobby ("Salon Eva") was slow and generally disappointing.

Doorman service was mixed. When we first arrived by taxi with our suitcases, two doormen were standing off to the side having a chat with each other; no one ran to open any doors for us and so we negotiated the revolving door by ourselves with our suitcases.

This historic property needs a thorough facelift and the staff needs to be reinvigorated. Service was "adequate" overall but at the prices they're charging, it should be outstanding.

The best thing about this property is the location.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SuzanneDu
London
Reviewed May 19, 2010

The Hassler is in the most perfect position in Rome. Yes, the street outside is busy and noisy with cars and people but that's Italy. It's at the top of the Spanish Steps, with spectacular views over the Rome skyline from some rooms.

This is not the hotel for you if you want something modern. It's an old-world hotel, in an old-world (wonderful) location. Some of the rooms are very beautiful, with rich colours and lovely textiles. Cleaning was not as good as one expects from this class of hotel - floor in bedroom and hall always had very visible flecks of dirt on them; someone else's short thick hair on a shelf in the bathroom during the whole of a 3 day stay; and tired, slightly grubby paintwork, despite a relatively recent renovation....

The public areas are very disappointing. Some walls have mosaic tiles which must date from the 1930's, which are very attractive, if not everyone's taste. The rest, however, is a jumble of styles and heavy colours - shiny black and white; heavy 1980's reds. The furniture in the lobby and next to the garden restaurant, particularly some yellow sofas, are tired and dirty. Net curtains on the windows in the loos downstairs badly needed cleaning. The garden at the back is potentially gorgeous but the paintwork is faded, the awning dirty and the furniture very tired.

The staff at the reception, the concierges and the room staff were charming and incredibly helpful, with one or 2 exceptionally helpful people (the events manager is excellent, charming and unflappable). The indoor and garden restaurants staff at lunchtime were pretty sloppy - very slow in bringing menus. One can be happy to wait for food to be cooked freshly but not to wait for the waiter all the time - even getting a menu took about 10 minutes every time. Rome is not famous among Italians for food but considering how well one can eat in Italy for relatively little, the food is very mediocre. The mark-up on wines is enormous.

On a more positive note, contrary to another review, the breakfast was absolutely plentiful and delicious with a lot of choice. Pretty expensive at 31 Euros for the basis breakfast or 52 Euros for the full cooked breakfast.

The hotel has a lot of charm, is in a wonderful location but really needs someone to pull it together. The beautiful bedrooms hidden away are let down by the terrible public areas. It would be a tremendous shame if it was completely turned into a shiny new hotel but much more effort needs to be put into making the whole thing look loved and into ensuring that every aspect and every detail, including the food, are impeccable.

The overwhelming suspicion is that this is a once-wonderful hotel, that has turned into a cash cow due to its reputation and location with an endless supply of tourists.

Other hotel in other cities (like the Bristol in Paris or the Beau-Rivage in Geneva) are also family-owned but are a million miles ahead in terms of cleanliness and standards across every aspect of the hotel. Could and should do much better.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
7 Thank floramalone
cph
Reviewed April 6, 2010

I first stayed at the Hassler in the 1970's with my parents, who had honeymooned there. we visited the Hassler as a family about 6 times. This hotel has always had a special place in my heart, so i was delighted to see that it is still the wonderful landmark it was back then. It has a charm and warmth that no other hotel has, and the staff are so helpful that you are made to feel like part of one, big harmonious family. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. I just hope to get back there quickly again. if you have the opportunity to visit, count yourself lucky. I have stayed at the Hotel du Russie near Piazza del Popolo, which is also nice but nothing measures up to the Hassler. Enjoy it!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank lucrezia2010
Neptune Beach, FL
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Hassler for 8 nights and it was absolutely fabulous. The location could not be better...right by the Spanish Steps. The rooms were beautifully appointed. The reception staff and the concierge service was impeccable. The top floor restaurant (though pricey) is not to be missed. Another close by (and inexpensive) restaurant that we enjoyed several times is Al 34. Another tip....when in Rome use Romaround tours to see the Coliseum, Palatine Hill, Catacombs, and Vatican Museum. For me, having a knowledgeable and entertaining tour guide made the ruins and ancient sites so much more than just a pile of bricks.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple