“Hassler - at the top”
Review of Hotel Hassler

Hotel Hassler
Ranked #27 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights in May, having dreamt of this experience for years.

As we’ve celebrated a day special to us I asked for a room with view of the Spanish Steps and the reservation dept. made it possible even with a small balcony. Enjoyed every second of the marvelous views all over Rome.

Details of the hotel
Due to delayed checkin (we had to wait at the counter for a couple of minutes – believe it or not! - till someone showed up to receive us) there was a bottle of spumante delivered to the room. So all ok .
The staff however lived up to all expectations after this initial faux pas.

Rooms:
rather smallish, we’ve had newly refurbished ones, all black velvet and nicely appointed bathrooms, combining old appliances with modern features.
Very comfortable beds, welcoming and giving the feeling of being pampered.
Not that much room for suitcases … but you don’t go to Rome to sit in the hotel room, although the Hassler would be the right place to materialize such stupid idea.

Haven’t had breakfast in the room rate, Rome is worth taking the ‘risk’ of no reserved breakfast and simply sipping the espresso somewhere around the next corner. M-M-Mh!

Bar in the back behind the reception area is new(ish) and strains the sense of ‘one style at a time’ in matters of interior deco … a bit. I liked the ‘art deco’ elements, didn’t like the stone basin (or what would you call that?) included in the design, would have expected more plants to make up for the sterile blue color … But then – we didn’t go to look only. The drinks were fine, the service was ok. Being late they immerged a tad too much in administration of the days’ bills and other papers behind the bar. Or maybe it was just an impression?!

IMAGO Restaurant at the top – we reserved it well in advance and had a table with a view. Very nice selection of courses certainly appealing to all and every taste and hunger, veg or not.
Staff very friendly, accommodating, English speaking, professional.
High standing ‘food architecture’ on the plates – appealing to ‘eye and palate’, great wines, all priced accordingly. Yet, considering all dining options in Rome (and Dennis’ vaste knowledge of it …) I wouldn’t return soon.

Didn’t check out the spa, we went to the market instead, and to many other places … and always returned half dead at night to rejuvenate in the tiled black bath and great beds.

What mattered most was the CONCIERGE!! We wrote in advance for dinner reservations every evening and Dennis (bless him!) supplied perfect locations matching our requests. He was of great help all during our stay in different matters.

What else?
Upon departure (late evening) we were given a supersmall single room to change and refresh before going to the airport, having had to vacate our rooms at noon. This one had not been refurbished yet, but had light hardwood floors, white marble bathroom and fair furniture.
I also liked it very much and it felt lighter than the black velvet surrounding in the new rooms. So – don’t fret about the rooms; all are fine.

Elevators - take your time with them, they do with you.

Getting there: by taxi from Roma Fiumicino airport (we payed 50 Euro and advised to be dropped off at the Spanish Steps, walking them up … and being rewarded with a memorable view).

Used the METRO for getting around Rome, the next stop is down the Spanish steps and around the first corner to the right. Easy.

Unbeatable location, the old-rose-flavour of bygone times, great staff make for perfect holidays – if this is the style you’re looking for. It’s the kind of ‘once in a lifetime’ thing to experience next to the Raffles in Singapore and maybe a couple of other great houses around the ball.

If you can afford it – go there, you won’t be sorry.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank adswiss
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, to celebrate a special occasion and also for taking so much of your time to share with us the details of a variety of impressions you have about the stay.

All remarks I receive from my guests are very much appreciated and a necessary tool to monitor, and improve the service offered. Your account was very helpful in allowing me to understand exactly where there is still space for improvement but also gratifying by demonstrating where we have reached our goal.

I look forward to greeting you again, hoping that the future stores many other opportunities for you to stay with us.

President and Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (1,117)

Reviewed June 13, 2013

The hassler didn't miss any details. The hotel was so beautiful, so elegant and incredibly romantic. As we walked in the lobby our jaws just dropped. However the beauty of the hotel was second to the service that was provided. While having a cocktail in the lobby bar, the hotel bar manager Andrea introduced himself and with a true genuine concern was engaging and extremely friendly. Leaving the bar that night we walked away in awe of how incredible the staff was. The next day Andrea remember our names and asked us where we were going to dinner and wanted to make the reservations for us. Andrea Moschetti and the The Hassler made Rome and experience better than we could of dreamt of. Thank you so much Andrea and the Hassler, we can't wait to come back.
Ciao,
John and Candice

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank candicewellens
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome and also for your beautiful comments of praise.

I was pleased to learn that we met your expectations and you found the quality of service, true to the care and attention we are renown for. Your kind words of appreciation were also passed on to Andrea Moschetti.

Greetings from the Eternal City!

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Used to higher end hotels we chose to stay at Hassler hotel based on its reputation.
This proved highly disappointing and shows this hotel needs major managerial revamp as well as rooms revamp!

Airport pick up : need to call concierge three time to figure out where is pick up car that was arranged , when driver turns up after twenty minutes no apology ...
Room : room had no balcony contrary to what was requested at booking and was really small , outdated with antiquated bathroom.
This has nothing in common with what you find at George V or Bristol hotel in Paris
Front desk is uninterested in my complaint on size and type of room and cannot be bothered to pretend to be polite.
Location of the hotel on top of Spanish Stairs remains however a big plus point
Hotel provided us with an excellent guide who proved extremely knowledgeable and took us through Vatican , coliseum ...
Do not try the Spa unless you want to visit something from another century . Staff hardly speaks English . Forms are given to be filled before massage but not given to the massage staff itself : what s the point ?
This would have been a good hotel if prices were half or one third
At the price charged you really expect a staff with another attitude towards the guest and some more decent rooms (size wise and functionality wise).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rktripp
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from the Eternal City!

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions, which I find extremely important – whether they be positive, or as in this instance, negative. The information I receive becomes a fundamental tool to monitor and improve services.

I was sorry that the room allocation was not what you expecting and that you found the Reception and Concierge staff not as helpful and professional as I expect all times. Your comments have been urgently passed on to all staff involved for urgent explanation.

With specific reference to the SPA, it is my immediate intention to transfer to a more spacious area.

On a closing note, I hope that sometime ahead in the future you might decide to reconsider your final judgment and give us a second opportunity to demonstrate that we can meet your expectations.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I travelled to Italy to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary and decided to go all out and splurge to stay at the Hotel Hassler. We do not regret it one bit! The luxurious accommodations and access to the private rooftop bar made it a place to remember. The location and views cannot be beat either. The concierge was extremely helpful and really made us feel special. We will save up to stay there again for sure.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alandmichelle
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, to celebrate your 20th wedding anniversary and also for having taken the time to give us your comments, which were much appreciated.

My aim is to succeed in meeting every client’s expectation, so your note of praise, gave me great satisfaction. Your lovely words of appreciation were also passed on to the relevant departments.

I hope the future reserves you many other special moments to celebrate with us.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Hotel Hassler, situated on the top of the Spanish Steps, is truly wonderful. Set atop the city, the feeling of being away from the tourists below is splendid. Upon arriving, the ornate beautiful lobby is brimming with class and history. It is not old looking in the sense that it is outdated, it's just classic and clean.
The rooms are newer and modern, still having classic Roman touches, but updated for today. Small though. The bathrooms are clean and new.
You must enjoy the free breakfast in the garden or the main salon room, it's beautiful and fresh. The restaurant upstairs, Imago, a Michelin star rated venue, is a great place to see a full panoramic view of Rome and enjoy a drink. We did not eat here.
The service as top notch, the view was amazing of the square below from our room and the location was PERFECT. Walking distance to literally everything.
If you can fork over the dough- I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room higher up looking at Rome, not the garden. The lower floors are close to the street and c...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while visiting Rome, but also for your lovely note full of appreciation.

My goal is to always offer perfection in service and ambience so I appreciated you sharing your satisfaction concerning the rooms, the breakfast, Imàgo, the service and the view.

I look forward to welcoming you again to the Hassler in the near future.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

During our stay at Il Palazzetto we twice had dinner in the Palm Court restaurant downstairs in the Hassler hotel and both meals were quite simply superlative, the food was imaginative and beautifully presented, the waiters could not have been more attentive and the excellent pianist rounded up the perfect meals. This restaurant is quickly becoming one of the IN places to eat due to the incredible standard of its food. If the weather is good one can eat outside in the delightful courtyard which is now crowned by a most unusual water featured bar. If Rome did not have so many other excellent restaurants we would have felt tempted to eat every night in the Palm Court.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Hitchcock2
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at Il Palazzetto while in Rome but also for having taken the time to share with us your satisfaction in dinning at our Palm Court Restaurant.

I was delighted to learn that we met your expectations in every way and that you fully enjoyed our service, care and attention. I would like you to know that I have passed on your compliments to all the staff concerned.

I look forward to welcoming you again sometime in the future.

Greetings from the Eternal City and kind regards,

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Hassler is an istorical lux hotel located in Trinità dei monti, the upper part of piazza di Spagna.
No doubt the location is a dream, it is like being inside a dream.
The hotel has two souls, the old part (a little dusty) of the common spaces (hall, breakfast room, elevator not efficient, some rooms, an amazing terrace but with no service) and some rooms refurbished, but my impression is like missing a real soul.
Service is kind, amorevero amenities for me not the standard such an hotel should offer.
Before booking, be sure the room is a new one, the old are really 80's

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank mgiornet

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, but also for having taken the time to share with us your impressions.

As to your comment about a part of the hotel “a little dusty” - I am happy to inform you that we have renovation works under way presently, which I hope you will be able to enjoy during some future stay.

In the meantime, greeting for the Eternal City!

Roberto Wirth