“Only the Hassler”
Review of Hotel Hassler

Hotel Hassler
Ranked #37 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed April 14, 2013

You know you are in a hotel with high standards when the bartender states he simply could not serve me a Bellini because fresh peaches were not in season - that in a nutshell is the level of perfection one can expect at the Hassler.

Elegant, sophisticated luxury with just the right addition of modern touches, the Hassler is simply divine perfection. Our room was exquisite- the most comfortable bed and beautiful bathroom with incredibly luxurious linens & towels and their exclusive Amorvero toiletry line. Quiet temperature control, well planned spaces for storing luggage and clothing, daily water and a well stocked mini bar made the room a perfect oasis from daily sightseeing.

However, in my experience, it is the people who make a hotel experience stand out and that is where the Hassler "nails it". Each and every staff member was kind, helpful and professional. From the doormen who addressed me by name each day, the courteous hosts and wait staff in the restaurants, the ever helpful and knowledgeable reception staff and concierge to the night manager who thought to send up coffee at 4:30 am knowing we'd miss breakfast on the way to the airport - each made our family feel like "family" and not merely guests.

Hands down, the best location in Rome atop the Spanish Steps, with views that are unparalleled. We were able to walk everywhere, although there are always taxis outside and a nearby Metro station.

Sitting in the Fiumicino airport dealing with canceled flights, literally the only thing that kept me from going crazy was closing my eyes and meditating on the perfection of our stay at Hassler Roma! Hope to return again...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank SUSAN S
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen to stay at the Hassler while in Rome, but also for your lovely note full of appreciation.

I am happy that you found everything to your satisfaction. My aim, in the hotel business, is to allow my guests to experience a unique and enjoyable break and make them feel “home away from home” – and with your lovely comments, I pride myself in being able to say that sometimes I manage to accomplish the goals that I fixed for myself. Your kind words of appreciation were also passed on to the staff.

I look forward to welcoming you again to the Hassler in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Hassler

Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel and in a great location if you have the money. We were there in November around Thanksgiving time and not the busiest time for traveling in Italy. The rooms were wonderful but the service we experienced was far from wonderful. The people who worked in the bar and restaurant seemed to have ZERO personality. We sat at the bar for about 15 minutes before we even received service and even at that point the bar tender barely had a smile on his face. There seemed to be no excitement in this hotel, it could have just been this time of year short staffed perhaps, but as we looked around the restaurant while we sat there the people seemed to be a bit stuffy. The location is great due to the fact that it is located on the top of the Spanish Steps. My husband and I would look for a different hotel if we were to travel back to Rome.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Marci5
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having decided to share your comments about your stay at the Hassler last November. I was pleased to learn that the hotel, the rooms and the location was to your satisfaction.

On another note I was sorry to hear that you found our Salone Eva staff not as friendly as we expect them to be at all times. Please rest assured that your impressions have been drawn to the attention of the Department head.

While apologizing for these inconveniences, I also would like to emphasize my gratitude for drawing to my attention aspects of the service, which thanks to your information, I will be able to correct.

I hope that you do decide to give us another opportunity to demonstrate that maybe we are capable of meeting and even exceeding your expectations during some future return stay.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I recently traveled to Rome for the Conclave and Papal Installation. I usually stay in a small boutique hotel by the Vatican (Paul VI) but they were booked because all of the European media were staying there. We decided to go with a luxury hotel since we could not be as close to the Vatican as we wanted.

We found an incredible deal for the Hassler (Rooms are usually closer to $900us and we paid $550us). I booked the standard twin room (the beds were right next to each other - total Euro style!). The room was incredibly spacious (especially by European standards). We had a love seat and chair, plenty of storage space, two closets and a big bathroom! There were two sinks in the bathroom, a separate toilet room, a towel warmer, and a bathtub/shower combination. The linens were incredibly luxurious, and another feature I loved were the mechanical black out shutters. This cut out ANY light from the room and made for a wonderful night's sleep!

The people at the front desk were incredibly friendly and helpful, especially Carolina. She really made our trip wonderful! I wish I could say the same for the concierge desk - but sadly, the employees working at that desk left a lot to be desired. There were two friendly gentlemen there from time to time, but the "Main" concierge was very rude and unhelpful. He cracked jokes about our lost luggage and seemed incredibly put out anytime we would ask him to call the airport, or help us with other inquiries. At a hotel of this caliber, they really need to reconsider having him at the desk.

The housekeeping staff was wonderful and very trustworthy.

We ate at the hotel's casual lounge several times and the food was perfect every time! The drinks are by no means inexpensive... A grey goose will set you back about 26e! The ambiance of big plush couches, beautiful furniture and a live piano player makes it all seem okay though!

The Hassler's location is great, right at the top of the Spanish Steps (which are quite daunting after a day of touring the city or shopping), but if you need a cab there are always several at the hotel. We walked almost everywhere. It was a 25 minute walk to the Vatican, and 5-10 minute walk from the good shopping.

Our luggage was lost on the way to Rome, so the hotel graciously supplied us with toothbrushes and directions to the shops! I will certainly be staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank stLTravelLover
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen the Hassler, while in Rome, but also for having taken the time to give us your comments.

I was pleased to learn that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and the room, the food, the location and the front office and the housekeeping staff was to your satisfaction.

On another note I was sorry to hear that you found one of our Concierge staff not as friendly and helpful as we expect them to be at all times. I have passed your comments to all the staff involved and am closely reviewing your comments.

I look forward to greeting you again, hoping that the future stores many other opportunities for you to stay with us.

Greetings from the Eternal City!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed March 26, 2013

A true luxury experience.

The staff were wonderfully attentive and kind. From the doorman, to the concierge, to the reception desk, to the handymen, the barmen, everyone. The service was awesome. Let me give you some examples:

1. Our spa bath wasn't spa-ing. The guy came up and fixed it immediately. The when we ran out the bath there was a fault with a valve and the bathroom partly flooded. The guy came up again, fixed it immediately, and the maids came in behind him to clean the room, replace the towels, all within five minutes. Turned what might have been a negative into a massive positive - what a positive experience of hotel staff!

2. Went to the lovely bar area downstairs to read. Order a couple of teas. The tea set was truely lovely, the service discreet, the tea came with lovely hand-cooked crisps and treats. Fantastic.

3. We went to Imago, the top floor restaurant, our first night. The view was the best in Rome. Utterly romantic. The food was worth the Michelin stars. The wine was fab. The service was attentive, kind, helpful, and prompt. Indeed, all the food was excellent. The room service menu was just as varied and nice.

I could name so many more things. The decor in the room, hand-chosen, detailed, thoughtful, cleverly put together, well designed, etc. The room service that was quick and always delightful. The doorman who ran to me because I was carrying my own bags and stuff downstairs to help me out. The spa. The location. The reservations they got us in advance with Dal Bolognese, and on the day with Marios. Everything was slick, attentive, and above the call of duty.

Yes, this was luxury. Absolutely and continually on-point. Fully deserves its reputation.

Only things I'd change would be:

1. To have Nespresso in the rooms for early morning wakers (although the coffee they served on room service was simply amazing, so maybe this is deliberate) but I do still think the ability to make a quick cuppa is important of both tea and coffee; and
2. Better heating / thermostatic control in the room. This is a genuine issue, it was the one thing that didn't really work.

But that's nit-picking. It was awesome.

Room Tip: Any room here is a good room. My big tip would be to book into Imago in advance, it's well worth...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NikolaiSegura
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear Mr. Segura,
First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen the Hassler, while in Rome, but also for having taken the time to give us your comments, which were much appreciated.

Since my aim is to be able to meet every guest’s expectation, your positive note about the staff, the room, the bar and our Restaurant Imàgo gave me great satisfaction and would like you to know that I have passed on your compliments.

I do thank you also for having made your suggestions about the Nespresso in the rooms and the room thermostatic temperature control.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 10, 2013

After an aborted attempt last summer to find a decent B&B in Rome (see our other reviews on the subject), we decided to go in the complete opposite direction this time and stay in a 5-star hotel. The Hassler, by and large, lived up to its reputation and our expectations, with a few caveats.

As usual, we had a car, so that presented an issue, as it always does in Rome. Finding anything in Rome is pretty much always a hassle with a vehicle. GPS’s rarely work perfectly and roads are a crazy mess of one-way streets and alleys that just end (even when your GPS says you should be able to drive through). We spent our normal “find the hotel” quest weaving around the busy streets and finally figured out where the hotel was. The doormen were great and they helped us clear out the car and then put the car in valet parking. We entered the hotel and encountered our first bit of oddness.

We should point out here that just prior to coming up to the hotel, we had spent a good portion of the day hiking around the ruins in Pompeii. In hiking clothes. In the rain. And then made the 3 hour drive north to Rome. So, we were not exactly looking our Sunday best at this point. We stood around in the lobby for a bit (with all our belongings piled up in a corner) and tried to figure out what to do next. There were two people at the front desk who took one look at us and must have decided we were in the wrong place (also, to be fair, we drove up in a rental Fiat, which was now parked outside next to the Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Mercedes, etc.). It was fairly clear that no one was going to help us voluntarily, so I finally asked one of the desk clerks whether we could check in. She kind of looked at me with a raised eyebrow and agreed to look up our names. We should also note that we had not booked a cheap room – we enjoy our luxury accommodations and had chosen one of their higher end suites. Despite that, as she was describing the hotel amenities, she continually made it a point to tell us that “a certain dress code is expected”. Now, we understand that a higher end establishment likes to keep up good appearances, and we do bring nice clothing along for these occasions, but there are many people who can afford nice accommodations AND like to adventure, so we were disappointed in them treating us like vagabonds as they escorted us to an extremely expensive room.

The room itself was exquisite. Amazingly appointed with tasteful art, a beautiful bed, excellent amenities, a balcony overlooking the square, a large, luxurious bathroom – the reputation the Hassler has for excellence is well deserved. Our escort showed us all the amenities of the room, how to use the services, and the bellhop brought up all our bags and belongings. We enjoyed getting cleaned up after a day of adventure and struck out on foot to explore Rome from this area. It should be noted that the Hassler does have bicycles available and can arrange virtually any mode of transit inside the city, but we prefer walking and cabs in Rome, since it is always difficult to do anything with a bike or car when you reach your destination. Thankfully, the Hassler also provides umbrellas and the doorman graciously provided us with a couple as we strode into the rainy evening.

The Hassler is situated above the Spanish Steps and the Piazza Trinità dei Monti – it is truly a gorgeous setting! We walked down the steps and looked around the area and found a nice place to eat (we were kind of put off from eating in the hotel, since they told us so many times that their dining room required a certain dress code, as they looked scornfully at our hiking clothes from the day). The hotel nicely located in the center of the city and most of the major attractions are within a 15 minute walk of the hotel. There are a couple notable exceptions, such as the Colosseum, but there are so many things you can walk to from the Hassler, you won’t tire of things to do. The second day, we spent mostly at the Vatican, enjoying our favorite gelaterias, and strolling through the area around Trevi Fountain. On our last day, we visited the Colosseum before we left for the airport. We have been to Rome many times and, while there is always some curve ball that Rome will throw your way, it is a city we never get bored with and always find new things to explore. It is so rich with history and legend, you can’t help to dig into something that interests you with each visit.

The breakfast at the hotel was very good. We enjoyed it and were able to get everything we could have wanted. It was a pleasant surprise in a big hotel to see attention to detail with the courses and that everything was appropriately made on the premises.

In all, the Hassler is a superb hotel. We enjoyed it thoroughly, with our only real issue being their condescending attitude. When you are spending that kind of money on a hotel room you should be able to walk in the door wearing either a 3-piece suit and shorts and a t-shirt and expect the same, professional level of service. In this day and age, they should know that you cannot judge a person by the clothes on their back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
17  Thank Steph_Richardson
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having decided to share your comments about your stay at the Hassler last December and for the time you took to give us so much detail.

I am very concerned with the issue you had upon arrival and have urgently shared the comments with all concerned, asking for the attention and professional behaviour I expect each and every one of my guests to experience. So, please rest assured that I have given my full attention to your remarks and am doing everything possible to always offer the ambience I desire, but absolutely never offend anyone in any way.

Having said this, I would also like you to try to consider that I have a certain obligation towards guests who come to the Hassler to experience its unique legendary atmosphere, which is based on its very traditions.

On a closing note I hope that during some future opportunity you get to return to Rome you do decide to stay at the Hassler and allow my team to demonstrate our renowned care and attention capable of meeting and exceeding your expectations.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

It was our second stay so far and we are planning to come back next year as well. Rome’s most distinguished address is set atop the Spanish Steps, within walking distance of the Villa Borghese park, Via Veneto, Via Condotti, and all fashionable boutiques, dining...etc. Everything was great throughout the whole stay. First of all we got a complimentary upgrade. Our room was a lot bigger and fancier the one we booked, so it was really nice of them to do so. Room was done in soft elegant beige colors with luxury furnishings and accessories. And it had everything we needed from complimentary water to a great variety of mini bar. The bedding was lovely and our bath was a good size with all you'd need. It is a true 5 star hotel with a 5 star guest treatment. The classically-decorated Salone Eva restaurant and the Hassler Bar where we had our breakfasts and lunch a few times. Everything I had was truly delicious. We also stopped for a glass of Prosecco and some olives on the way out to dinner and enjoyed live piano music in the evening.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Helen34438
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to express my pleasure in being able to number you as one of our regular guests and to thank you also for having taken the time to give us your comments, which were much appreciated.

All remarks I receive from my clients, are very much appreciated and a necessary tool to understand if I succeed in my aim to render each and every stay as memorable and enjoyable as possible. In this specific instance, your fidelity is the proof that this goal has in some way been accomplished.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

The very essence of class, this is wonderful hotel in every respect until you get into bed. King bed seem to be two single mattresses with a ridge in the centre and pillows are so soft and old-fashioned offering zero support. This is one of the few remaining privately owned and managed luxury hotels, so the owner should take a trip to a Four Seasons, Sheraton, Sofitel, or even Hilton to discover proper mattresses and pillows. Great food, great service, wonderfully decorated bedrooms.

Room Tip: Do not book unless they give a guarantee of a bed in which you can sleep.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank JHMH1959
DirezioneHassler, Direttore generale at Hotel Hassler, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

I was sorry to learn that the bedding was not to your satisfaction. I do thank you however for having brought to my attention your personal opinion. Every individual opinion helps me to implement changes to constantly improve.