“Lovely, elegant, expensive” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #112 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Tucson, Arizona
“Lovely, elegant, expensive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

We spent 3 nights at Hotel Eden at the end of a cruise vacation. The hotel is elegant with large, well appointed rooms, huge bathrooms, marble floors in the entry ways and bathrooms, comfortable beds and delightful soaps and lotions. With deluxe service from the doormen to the reception desk staff who checked us in and then took us up to our room, to the extremely helpful concierges, to the housekeeping staff, and to all the other employees who greeted us as we passed them in hallways or public rooms each making you feel welcome. Hotel Eden is a 10 minute walk to the Spanish Steps, a 10 minute walk to Galleria Borghese, two Metro stops. Our room overlooked a portion of the old city wall. Located off Via Veneto, it is in a quiet neighborhood with several other upscale hotels as well as several embassies nearby. The view of Rome from the restaurant and bar is magnificent. Hotel Eden is a member of Starwood under LaMeridien group of hotels. It is expensive but we would stay there again if we returned to Rome. It was a delightful way to wrap up our vacation.

1 Thank TwoRetiredFolk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Eden for my last night in Italy on this journey. On my travels I met with several people who had recently stayed in Rome and had hotels near the main attractions (Coliseum, etc) and they all remarked about the noise level in their rooms making it difficult to sleep at night. I was pleased when I arrived at The Hotel Eden as its conveniently located near the Spanish Steps, yet it backs to the Borghese gardens and the views from the rooftop bar and from my room were exquisite! The property is gorgeous and it feels like a luxurious hideaway in the middle of one of the most incredible cities in the world! The room was absolutely beautiful and I was so fortunate to be upgraded (as an SPG platinum member) to an incredible room with a balcony that overlooked the Borghese gardens. The bed was extremely comfortable and I probably had the best nights sleep while in Italy on the 11 day journey.

I had a glass of prosecco at the rooftop bar before going out for dinner in the city of Rome - just as the sun was setting. The views were spectacular. In the morning I enjoyed a wonderful breakfast at the rooftop restaurant - again luxuriating in the remarkable views of the city as the sun was rising. What a way to wake up in the city of Rome!!

If you're debating where to stay in Rome, for me the tiebreaker with The Hotel Eden and another property I was considering was the rooftop bar and restaurant. Its certainly worth the visit to get to enjoy the views whether for breakfast, dinner, happy hour or anytime. The hotel is gorgeous; the staff friendly and helpful; and the rooftop bar is a real gem!! I highly recommend a stay at The Hotel Eden!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the gardens
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Travelgirl22310
Red Bank, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

The service is excellent and the atmosphere has a mix of luxury and history. If you're looking for contemporary style, this is not the place for you but if you find romance in history and architecture, it's the perfect place to be. It's an older building relative to the other luxury properties in Rome but well done. The rooms are a good size, high ceilings, and features beautiful molding and fixtures. The location is "central" meaning, about 10-15 minutes away by taxi from most historical attractions pending traffic. We took a Friday afternoon ride from the airport (FCO) to the hotel which took about 45 minutes. We only stayed one night before departing for our cruise but I would have liked to stay longer. One last thought, the views from Restaurant La Terrazza dell'Eden located on the top floor of the hotel are amazing! Don't skip breakfast!! The buffet is full of delicious variety and the staff members are approachable, discreet, extremely professional.

1 Thank Mary L
Clifton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed at Santa Maria Novella (4 star hotel – about $250/night) in Florence, Eden Roc (4 star hotel – about $380/night) in Positano, and Hotel Eden in Rome, our only 5 star hotel (about $480 night – double deluxe room on special at hotels.com).
It was our most expensive hotel, and should have been the best being that it has 5 stars, but it wasn’t. That’s not to say it wasn’t excellent, but it was edged out by the less expensive 4 star hotels we stayed at.
Our room was elegant and lavishly decorated, and it had a nice view of the garden/patio area. The shower in the bathroom was a bit small, and odd. There was a half shower door that looked nice, but didn’t do a nice job keeping water off the floor. Besides that, the bathroom was beautiful - all marble and chrome.
The location is fantastic. We were just around the corner from the Spanish Steps, and on our first day we walked about 10 minutes to the Pantheon (amazing)!!
Service was probably the biggest difference between the hotels. Hotel Eden’s service was very refined and courteous, as it should be. However, this could be a matter of taste, but I give the other hotels a big edge in the “warmth” category. My wife and I couldn’t pin point it at first, but we knew something was missing. Hotel Eden’s staff had very little warmth. I understand it’s an elegant 5 star hotel, but the other hotels we stayed with were also elegant and luxurious, and they were extremely warm. I do think it is a matter of taste, and shouldn’t be counted harshly against Hotel Eden, but people should be aware of this before staying there. I can appreciate the buttoned up service of Hotel Eden, but I learned that we prefer more warmth with our luxury.
Besides the warmth factor, unless you are Robert DeNiro, Julie Roberts, or another very wealthy person, you’re a small fish at Hotel Eden. I have to say I did occasionally feel this way while talking with a few of the staff, but not most.
I work in Manhattan, and love to dine in Manhattan, so I’m used to expensive tabs. As crazy as is it is to pay 23 Euro for 3 eggs and some cheese (cheese omelet) at Hotel Eden, I can get past it because I’m used to it from NYC. I did have a hard time with the price of the bowl of cereal (I think it was 12 Euro), and the mini bar prices. I expect any mini bar to be expensive. A coke at Santa Maria was 3 euro, Eden Roc 4 euro, but at Hotel Eden I think I remember it being 9 or 10 euro. The mini bar also included a toblerone candy bar smaller than your average snickers bar for 10 euro. Again, I knew it would be expensive, but I didn’t think it would be stupid. Even if you’re rich, I don’t think you like throwing your money away on $12 cans of soda. We didn’t have the opportunity to have dinner at Hotel Eden unfortunately (We went to Ad Hoc – FANTASTIC). The Hotel Eden restaurant tasting menu was about 190 euro with wine per person if I remember correctly, and I would have been fine to pay for it. I’m sure it’s on par with Per Se in Manhattan and worth every euro, but a coke is a coke. You never want to beat Yankee stadium when it comes to soda prices – you know you’re doing something wrong.
Again, I thought Hotel Eden was excellent, but if you’re reading this and you’re not Brad Pitt, you should know these things before you book the room or grab a sprite from the mini bar.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Chris P
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

I stayed here for business last year but I felt that I wanted to write a review when I came across this hotel by chance on the internet.
My circumstances were quite boring really as I came to Rome for meetings. But nevertheless, I was able to enjoy the atmosphere of Rome.
This is a hotel with a beatiful history. It is perfectly maintained in every way and the staff are professional and courteous.
My room was relatively small (although not for European standards) but was beautiful and in perfect condidion.
Location of the hotel is perfect and within easy walking distance of key attractions.
I would stay here again on a return visit to Rome

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank applesanddiamonds
Bressanone, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

It is hard to find such friendly and helpful staff in a hotel. Wrong booking and the people at the reception tried hard and succesfuly to find and alternative!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagementEden, Manager at Hotel Eden - Dorchester Collection, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear Sir

Thank you ever so much for your review on Tripadvisor, our staff truly appreciates your comments on them.

We are always trying to go the extra mile for our guest and make sure to please them in all of their needs and wants.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Eden and thank you once again for your vote of confidence in our staff.

Kind Regards

The Management
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

Really enjoyed this hotel, as it was only a few minutes from the Spanish Steps and Villa Borghese. Rooms were nice, clean and the service was great. It's not the most "central" location in Rome as you could prob stay closer to Piazza Navona, etc, but most of the popular sites were no more than a 15-20 min walk.

There was a misunderstanding when we checked in as we had a queen bed for 1 guest and they wanted to charge for 2 guests, but ultimately they let us stay with the lower rate (it would have been an extra 100 euros per night for a 2nd guest).

I'd definitely stay here again, and it's good for couples or business.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple