“Great place to stay in Rome” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Albergo del Senato
Ranked #9 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
San Francisco, California
“Great place to stay in Rome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

My family and I stayed at the Albergo Del Senato from June 29 to July 3rd. We had a triple room and then moved to a suite. Both accommodations were beautiful and perfect. The location can not be any better right next to the Pantheon. I could see the Pantheon from the window of our rooms.

The staff is helpful, nice and competent. The breakfast was always delicious. The rooms are decorated beautifully. There is attention to details and I can see that they care about the esthetics of the rooms especially the suite is gorgeous. I always appreciate it when hotels pay attention to details and create a tasteful beautiful environment. This is a small, charming hotel with a lot of character and I recommend it to all.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank mali2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (866)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

I researched our thirtieth wedding anniversary trip in detail, using tripadvisor as our guide, as I have done many times in the past. We had fabulous hotel experiences in Venice and Florence (check postings), but we honestly do not understand, after staying in this hotel, why they are rated number 8 on Rome's hotel list.
We made our reservations in March of this year, but when we arrived on Friday of this week, found out that we were being placed on one of the only two floors that hadn't been renovated as yet. When shown to our room, we found rust on the sides of the bathtub, dirty wallpaper, blackened, dirty ceilings and gouged out, old furnishings. When I tried to use the bathtub, I had to call the front desk, as the knob to convert from shower to bath was stuck from age. We found holes in our sheets! We were disappointed to say the least. When we went to the management to complain, as we were paying premium rates for this room, we were told maybe something could be done tomorrow. In their defense, they did show us to a larger room, but in the same condition. It seems the renovated rooms were not to be available to us till perhaps the next day, and we could not face moving again. If you choose to stay in this hotel, be sure to ask for the renovated rooms.To compound the issues, the air conditioner was not working for almost two hours on a very humid, almost 90 degree day. Unfortunately, the air conditioner never worked correctly in the days we were there.
As previous posts noted, the area is centrally located to everything, and very lively at night with large groups of teenagers gathering in the Pantheon square. As we were in the back of the hotel, we did not hear the noise, but if you take a front room, it will be noisy.
Whenever I read postings like this, I always think (disgruntled patron) but I have used tripadvisor for many years now, and depend on the reviews of others, and feel I would be doing a disservice if I did not recount my experiences there this past week. If you do stay here, the benefit is the location, but words like charming would not be the words I would choose to describe this hotel. Old, and in need of repair is more like it. At least in the rooms were were placed in.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Queensgirl55
DelSenato, Front Office Manager at Albergo del Senato, responded to this review, July 23, 2010
Dear Guest,
as always we do feel uncomfortable when a guest leave the hotel disappointed but this time I do have to clear out some points:
First of all I do invite all persons booking on line to verify the kind of accommodation booked. Some times we do have bookings through Virtual Travel Agents where guests ask to be accommodated in a room which is a Penthouse Suite when their reservation is for a standard double room....
In your case you did make the reservation through our web site where you do have all information needed and a photo gallery. Neither when you did send us a special request, where we assisted you with your requirements, you did require regarding the room.

To avoid any kind of confusion I feel to inform all TripAdvisor’s users that we do have a total of 56 rooms in our hotel and 23 of them have been renovated;
6 rooms on top floor which is an Executive floor with 2 Penthouse Suites and 4 Superior rooms
7 rooms on the 4th floor with 1 Senior Suite, 1 Triple room, 1 Twin bed room (with view) and 4 Double rooms (with view)
10 rooms on the 3rd floor with 1 Suite Seminario, 1 Triple room, 4 Double rooms and 4 Twin bed rooms ( none of the renovated rooms on the 3rd floor have a Pantheon view)

As you can understand, mostly of our guest are not accomodated in renovated rooms, nevertheless we do have a positive response overall.

All renovated standard rooms (4th and 3rd floor) are on request but not guaranteed.

I do remain at your disposal for any further requirements regarding.

With Kind Regards

Ann Johansson
Front Office Manager
a.johansson@albergodelsenato.it
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Albergo del Senato on our most recent trip to Rome. The location was fantastic with the Pantheon right outside the front door of the hotel. It was within walking distance of many of the other main sites including the Piazza Navona and near bus stops, a travel kiosk and a number of bars and restaurants. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had free-wi-fi in our room. The breakfast buffet was included and was pretty good. There was a selection of pastries, meat, cheese and yogurt along with juices, coffee and teas.

We booked a double room and it was very clean, but on the small side considering the price. The bathroom was modern and a decent side. We had a great view of the Pantheon from our room and even through there was a rally outside our room one night you couldn't really hear it unless the windows were open as the rooms were pretty soundproof.

The roof top bar is great with a wonderful view of the Pantheon and the square below. Overall we'd recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JMBinDC_07
Beaverton, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

This was our first destination on a two week trip to Italy. The hotel was in a great location, within walking distrance of many sights. The staff was very friendly and helpful. the room was large, modern and with free wireless. The morning breakfast was the best we had in Italy. We enjoyed the rooftop bar with Michel. The view from the top is outstanding. Our only negative was our daughter having to sleep on a pull out chair.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank adlpdx
Sacramento
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

My wife and I stayed here during our trip to Rome for our Honeymoon. Located next to the Pantheon and within the Piazza Della Rotunda, right in the middle of the city. We were greeted at the front door with the bell hop that took our bags and then a very generous and friendly front desk staff checked us in. They congratulated us on our honeymoon and were very quick to offer us anything we needed. Once we got up to our room, a bottle of prosecco was immediately sent up to us. I thought this was a very nice and thoughtful touch, as I never asked them to do this nor ordered a bottle from room service. I mean, I did put in the "comments" section of our reservation that it was our honeymoon, but that was it. I don't think that would happen at many hotels here in the States. The room itself was very cute/beautiful/classic looking and was a good size. Our view from the fifth floor was incredible: looking out over the piazza and the 2000 year old Pantheon. Just incredible. The area surrounding the hotel is fun, bustling and alive. There are many places to find a quick bite to eat, a drink or a nice sit-down, romantic meal. You can also get drinks on the rooftop of the hotel, which I recommend. Hopefully, the bartender up there will still be Michel - he was a really cool dude and a great bartender. One final thing: they have a ton of nice "freebies" in the bathroom that I never expect nor need, but it was a nice "touch".

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jeffharry
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

We stayed here a few weeks ago with our three teenagers (18,16,13) and with friends who had 2 teenagers with them. It is in a perfect location.....we never had to take a taxi anywhere. The staff are impeccable....they speak perfect English, and took care of our every need with a smile. Actually, we never needed anything except for directions, which they happily provided along with a well-marked map. The rooms are very nice, and quite comfortable. We had wireless internet (yes, we brought the iPads), the temperature was perfect, the bathrooms very modern. We had a lovely view of the Pantheon. I was worried about a lot of noise at night, but did not hear a single thing....we slept like babies. The breakfast was delicious. I would highly recommend staying here, and will absolutely stay here again when we return to Rome.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank luvhrsz
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

the location is superb - Pantheon seems to be at your finger tips, which is particularly amazing to a first timer of Rome. very nice staff, and the concierge is especially pleasant. and the room is not noisy at all despite its location thanks to the double-glazed window. I'm a light sleeper and before I booked the hotel, I went to Fodor's forum asking around. everyone told me not to worry and they're right! very glad of my choice and will definitely stay there next time in Rome. just wish next time I can get better rates, LOL....

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple