“GREAT location! Wonderful hotel!”
Review of Hotel Portoghesi

Hotel Portoghesi
Ranked #100 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
anaheim
“GREAT location! Wonderful hotel!”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We stayed here on our honeymoon and loved it! The location is fantastic! Just a few blocks from Piazza Navona, great shopping, cute restaurants, cafes, etc. I felt like we were staying in a real Roman neighborhood, not a tourist trap. The lobby is clean, classy and the front desk staff helped us with anything we needed. Breakfast was good and the staff was nice. The rooms were semi small (typical European size), but clean and comfortable. You can't beat the location! Everywhere you turn this is another adorable restaurant or shop. We will stay here on our next trip to Rome! The hotel just sent us a Christmas Card!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
London
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Second time that I've stayed here and its location, and the breakfast room, make the difference. It's off the tourist drag in a narrow street but you are only minutes from all the main sites. We had two truly excellent meals within two minutes of the hotel, which adds to its allure. Inside the staff are helpful, the rooms are quite small but the shower was excellent and the breakfast more than adequate. Good value but its position makes it hard to beat.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed November 22, 2011

This hotel satisfied my need for a Rome-fix. My sister (a first-time traveler to Europe) and I had just a short afternoon & evening in Rome, but our stay here was exceptional. The location is superb. Desk staff was helpful, our room was quiet, the bathroom was modern and clean. I love ancient buildings and this one fit the bill nicely. Will definitely consider staying here next time around!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Catherine M
Basel / Switzerland
Reviewed November 9, 2011

The hotel is perfectly situated a 3 minutes walk away from Piazza Navona, in a very narrow street, calm during the night.The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. But the rooms are out of date, the A/C didn't work in our "suite", and there is no minibar. (One can buy beer and beverages at the reception). Furthermore you have to pay for internet access. The breakfast buffet is quite basic, but in a nice roof room. Espresso was good. This is a pity, as with a little amount of money, this hotel could be a true gem! I would stay there again, but just for a normal week end, and not for a special occasion.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour, and book a "suite", not a normal room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank MAETZLI
Illinois
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I was looking forward to returning to the Portoghesi. I stayed there in 2005 and found the location to be superb and the rooms small but adequate. My mid October 2011 stay was very disappointing. The rooms are badly in need of decorating, for example, fresh paint and new bed linens. They are, as another reviewer said, depressing. Worst of all, there was a horrible smell coming from the shower drain. This problem has been mentioned by other reviewers, which seems to indicate that is is something the hotel is unable or unwilling to correct. My rating for the Portoghesi would have been "poor," but the location does, indeed, remain superb, and hotel staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms on street are noisy.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank prink_123
Vacaville, California
Reviewed October 28, 2011

We have stayed at the Portoghesi 3 years in a row for 2 nights each stay. The location is fabulous, in a great neighborhood with lots of shops, restaurants and cafes as well as being very centrally located to all sites. We have always had great service from Marco & Claudio, the owners, as well as David. They have always been kind and helpful to us. The breakfast garden is lovely and the server is a very nice gal. The hotel is not fancy but clean and comfortable, very, very European!! Make sure to pay the extra $ to get a junior suite, room 26 or 44 as they have nice all tile bathrooms and are larger. I would not book the hotel for a honeymoon but it is fine for other travellers.

Room Tip: Select a junior suite, room 26 or 44, larger room with nice bathroom
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vacagirlie
Boston
Reviewed October 13, 2011

The Good: My husband and I spent the last three nights of our honeymoon at this hotel. Breakfast was adequate and we enjoyed the roof deck. The young woman who managed the breakfast room did a great job. The location was fabulous; we walked to all the major sights. Our room was quiet and we slept well. I give this hotel three stars because of its location but I do not recommend this hotel to honeymooners. It is fine for people who want to stay in the center of Rome for cheap but it's not worth even the 200E a night.

The Bad: Upon arrival, the young man at the front desk was cold, disinterested and unwelcoming. Our room was by far the worst of our honeymoon; small, dark, lacked a safe and the toilet did not flush. On our way to lunch, we told the desk clerk about the toilet; when we returned, he said he had fixed the toilet. Our toilet still did not flush. I called the front desk several times; no answer. I went downstairs to inquire about the toilet and the clerk told me with a smirk that there was nothing he could do about the toilet; he would call a plumber in the morning and we’d have to deal with it until then. I asked if we could move to a room with a working toilet and perhaps a safe. He said that no rooms had safes and no rooms were available. I told him that I was on my honeymoon and refused to accept a room without a working toilet. This young man was sarcastic, snippy, rude, sighing, rolling his eyes... He finally told us we could move to the special room for one night but we would have to move again in the morning. We lugged our bags up to the fourth floor and within minutes he called to say we had to move again. He has “suddenly” found us another room with a working toilet and a safe too. The walls of the new room were covered in orange velour and the curtains were orange too but at least the room was slightly less dark and depressing than the first room.

I would like to note that the young desk clerk was the rudest person I have EVER come across in a hotel – the older gentlemen who also worked the desk were pleasant enough. Also, the marble stairs in the hotel are very slippery and I slipped and hurt my forearm. Use caution on the stairs!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank aemlovesnegril
marco012, Proprietario at Hotel Portoghesi, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Sorry you had a wrong evaluation of our Hotel. Reading the review for Trip Advisor will notice that we never had problems with our desk staff. Sorry also if you had problems with the toilet, unfortunately we could not call the plumber untill the following morning.
In case you want to come back at our hotel, we offer you a discount or an upgrade to a superior room.
Sorry again for all your trouble.

Marco