Museo Nazionale Romano - Palazzo Altemps

Book in advance
from
$389.38
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Museo Nazionale Romano - Palazzo Altemps
from $389.38
from $32.87
from $218.07
More Info
All reviews national museum egyptian collection roman museums private chapel magnificent collection on display special exhibit beautiful pieces pope pius near termini combined ticket heart of rome audio guide gaul ludovisi sarcophagus sculptures
Selected filters
Reviewed August 20, 2016

The simplicity and the astonishing quality of some of the pieces here make it the best collection of sculpture I've seen. Yes, the Vatican has the big hitters, but these rumble just below the surface and some make you melt. Because its less crowded you actually see the sculpture and the occasional juxtaposition make it more than the sum of its parts. With the Massimo it is extremely good value- and I would go here in preference to the Diocletian Baths (If you want a bath house go to the Caracalla) that comes on the same ticket.

Date of experience: August 2016
1  Thank Chris G
Reviewed August 13, 2016

Visiting Rome many times I never made time for Palazzo Altemps. I have always wanted to see the Ludovisi Throne. I have a resin frieze of it in my home and love it. I've always wanted to see the real deal. I really enjoyed seeing her in person.

Date of experience: May 2016
1  Thank TiamoItalia
Reviewed July 30, 2016 via mobile

Excellent sculptures here of Greek gods mostly originally by Roman sculptures that have been renovated or are copies of the originals. There are very good information boards explaining everything here so any sculpture that you are interested in will have information on it in Italian and in English. You can also combine tickets here for the Colosseum here as well to minimise queuing. Also some Roman pottery on display as well. Toilets on site and small shop.

2  Thank rayrest
Reviewed July 25, 2016

Palazzo Altemps is located right next to Piazza Navona. The architecture on the outside doesn't look very interesting but once you step in to plaza of the museum, it's amazing to look at. The museum costs 7 euros but it includes entrance to the Diocletian Baths and Palazzo Massimo too which is amazing value for money. The museum is on 3 levels but the top floor was closed during my visit. The museum holds an outstanding collection of sculptures which is laid out very well. Some sculptures even get their own room which is quite interesting. It's still quite a large museum even with the top level being closed. Do your self a favour and visit this museum!

9/10

2  Thank Patrick V
Reviewed July 24, 2016

I had never heard of this place. I thought this was a museum of all Roman history. Turns out to be a villa of sculpture. It has beautiful pieces from ancient times onward. This villa contains the history of Rome mostly from the 1500s to the 19th century. Great information but it went on for a while and by the end we were tired of listening.