“Grand and free”

$118.66*
Rome in a Day Tour by Electric Bike
Ranked #29 of 1,874 things to do in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the center of Piazza Venezia, this grandiose monument, also known as the Altar of Patriotism, was erected between 1885 and 1911 to glorify the first king of Italy.
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

This grand and elaborate monument in the middle of Rome was beautiful and well maintained. It is definitely worth taking the steps to the terrace, although perhaps I went to the wrong one because I couldn't find the view that other Trip Advisor reviewers have mentioned, however I enjoyed looking out towards St Peters Basilica and I must admit I got a thrill watching moped riders come within inches of being knocked off by tour buses. I have taken one star because I was absolutely desperate for the toilet but had to cross my legs because I do not pay to use the toilet out of principle.

1  Thank PPPPPeterr
Write a ReviewReviews (8,482)

Reviewed October 29, 2013

The massive amount of marble makes this monument hard to miss. It is worth the walk up the steps to explore, but beware! You cannot sit on the steps or some very angry policemen will make you move. When you get to the top, reflect on the interesting conversion of Ancient and Modern Rome.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

This monument is the most stunning building I have ever seen. We were with a group and our bus drove around it many times while our guide explained it's history. I did not know that you could go inside or that there is a free museum until reading Trip Advisor. It is obvious that we missed out. We we were only in Rome for 3 days but this monument would have been well worth seeing.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We were awed by the beauty of this monument and very surprised that the Italian people do not find it appealing at all (said from two different guides). You have a wonderful view of the city and if you can make it to the roof, you have a beautiful view of the ruins plus the Vatican. We also took the time to visit the museum inside the monument which is free.

1  Thank SylvieFrancois444
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This monument is worth looking into, walking around. I have two bad knees and was wondering; do I want to walk all the stairs? I did walk all the way up, and I'm so happy I did. Just standing up there and look out on Pizza Venezia was so nice.