“Great food; gracious service”
Review of Percento Enoristorante - CLOSED

Percento Enoristorante
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Description: The Restaurant Percento was opened in July 2010 on one of the most historic streets in Rome, via del Pellegrino 160, centrally located near Campo e' Fiori, Piazza Navona, and the Vatican city but, faraway from the clamor pf the crowds.The interior of the restaurant, which can accomodate seventy guest, is diveded into severals small and comfortable rooms accented with warm wood featuring a large wall displays of our favourite wines. Our fully visible, glass enclose kitchen allows guest the opportunity to watch the owner - chef prepare a selection of Italian cuisine with the freshest beef from Tuscany, pork of Nebrodi and seafood from the Mediterran sea. Enjoy our wide international selection of cheeses. Choose a wine from our extensive wine list. Come and taste us... Welcome.
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We picked the restaurant by chance because it looked attractive even though, at the time we passed by, there was no-one in it - always a dangerous sign! But we need not have worried; the owner was gracious - completely bilingual, and the menu very interesting. For an appitizer I chose a celeriac salad a sharp English cheese. My partner was convinced (despite not being very hungry) to have a dish with tiny meatballs. For our main courses, I had fettucini cassio e pepe and he had polenta with mushrooms porkribs with tomato sauce. All four dishes were phenomenal. The price tag was a little high for lunch, but very much worth the price.

Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Lovely restaurant with nice service. We had the degustation menu which started light and ended rich. The matching wines were great too. There is wifi, though it may be from the cool hipster bar across the street. At €43 for six courses including wine this is a great choice for sophisticated dining (ie. when you need a break from standard pizza and pasta)

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Intelligent, creative approach to Italian cuisine with superb wine matching and engaging service.

After nearly a month in Italy our trip of a lifetime included superb meals in Rome, Florence, Palermo, Cefalu and Modica but for our final meal before jumping on the plane for a 26 hour flight home to New Zealand we wanted something to remember and Ferdinando and his team at Percento did not disappoint.

It was a rainy Sunday in Rome and as we settled in we decided to really push the boat out and sample a treat from every course on the menu with a suitable wine to match. We had a chat to Ferdinando and placed ourselves in his hands and away we went.

Before we ordered, two glasses of a tasty aperitif arrived, can't remember exactly but it was fizzy, a little dry and accompanied by the best wholemeal bread (warm and fresh from the oven) we tasted in Italy and some smoky flavoured aubergine and olive dips. A great way to start as we contemplated the most imaginative menu we had encountered in Italy. The Mrs chose a beetroot and celeraic tower with a blueish and crumbly cheese to the side - a thoughtful mix of sweet and sour and textures. I went for the carrot soup puree with baby clams and based on other reviews here it is a winner (I concur) and such a visual stunner when it arrives at the table.

Next up was the pasta course. The Mrs was in raptures with her squid ink gnocchi with seafood and I was more than happy to tuck into a hearty taglietele with ragu which was old school in all the best ways. After a bit of a breather ( I think we may have had a pause before our third glass of vino) we addressed our main courses.

At this point I should note we do not embark on four course meals on a regular basis. Quite the opposite. If we eat out it is usually an antipasti and a main or indeed just a main course. We are always concerned that we may not be able to eat our way through every course and there is nothing worse than a meal turning into a slog. At this stage of the meal we were in good shape and I ordered Lamb medallions atop a polenta mash and the Mrs a lovely fish dish with wilted spinach and a sauce she described as dreamy. My lamb was crispy on the outside with an almost gamey interior complimented by a smooth mash with chunks of mushroom popping through - good winter fare and in my case accompanied by a great glass of a grunty red selected by Ferdinando. I should have asked what it was for accuracy sake but I was too busy enjoying the above mentioned to think of research.

We finished with a fascinating dessert which consisted of a almond themed warm small cake which was surrounded in a high dessert bowl by a smooth, thick and reduced berry sauce which clung to the edge of the bowl. As the cake crumbled it mixed with the tangy, rich berry sauce. My wife and I agreed that this was an absolute winner as we discussed the meal over our fifth glass of wine which if memory serves was again equal to the occasion.

Conclusion? Magnificent. We made sure we sampled from every course, with wine selected by Ferdinando and described to us not in wincemaking detail as is the wont of sommeliers these days (can there be anything more tiresome than watching your meal go cold as a Phd qualified wine waiter tells you how his choice will make your day)

We took a punt on Percento, not having have read any reviews on Tripadvisor or similar, but by strolling past (our apartment was round the corner) and liking the cut of Percento's jib. It turned out to be an inspired choice. The food was superb and the service turned our final meal in Italy into a genuine event. All up our four course meal with at least five glasses of wine cost 180 Euro, the most we paid in a month in Italy, but superb value and one of the best meals we have enjoyed anywhere.

Percento will be the first restaurant we book on our return in the future.

2  Thank HamishConey
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My family and friends left Rome a few days ago, and here I was, alone, just taking everything in. I was eyeing this quaint little restaurant for two days and decided to have my last meal here. This was a good decision. I arrived shortly after they open, a little after 7:00. The menu that I was given was not the menu that was outside. The waiter was totally accommodating and we agreed on shrimp, instead of clams in my pasta. He said that this was Monday (it was) and he didn't have fresh clams. He recommended a tasty white wine. The food and wine arrive--the pasta, shrimp, and wine were perfect. The pasta was a little peppery, plenty of shrimp, and was beautifully presented. The wine was perfectly chilled. I read some of the reviews that were not happy with this restaurant, but my experience was excellent. Perhaps this was because it was the start of the evening and they were not busy. In sum: Excellent food. Excellent service. A perfect end to my extraordinary experience in Roma.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

This place has a very nice ambiance but does not have the food to match. The service, through friendly, was extremely slow. One member of our party had to change his choice twice because the chef didnt have enough of his first two options. I ordered a chicken caeaser salad and instead I was brought a place of cod fish by mistake! They made my salad but it came out about 20 minutes later after the others at my table had their food. Unfortunately the salad was disappointing as well with the lettuce being heavily dressed, the chicken being too tough, and the bacon being way too salty. The salty trend continued with spaghetti carbonara that tasted as though it'd been sitting for an hour. Though they did end up taking the cost of our caprese salad appetizer off the bill, it still wasn't worth it. I'd recommend one of the cheaper and better quality restaurants in the piazza campo di fiori just down the street.