“Surpassed our expections as Hilton Diamond members”

Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #71 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Clearwater, FL
“Surpassed our expections as Hilton Diamond members”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

Two weeks ago I stayed at the Cavalieri for two nights with my wife as part of a long-planned 30th anniversary trip. It was the best hotel experience we've ever had.

Here is what I encountered firsthand.

The exterior of the hotel is actually quite nice, but the interior is incredible. The works of art surpass many museums. We were amazed.

The Colosseo executive lounge was large and airy... I honestly have no idea why it has gotten such criticism from a few folks. It is modern and well lit. I loved the design and decor. Two walls are glass -- one glass wall looks into the hallway (with some great paintings by the way) and the opposite glass wall looks out on a private patio. There are ten tables that sit four people each, so there's seating room for 40. There is a large glass refrigerator that holds juice, soda and several quality beer selections. There is also coffee, tea, red wine, white wine and champagne. Food is "snacky" such as nuts, finger sandwiches, etc.

Our room was gorgeous. The rooms are designed to feel like a mini-suite, and the woodwork is beautiful. The marble bathroom is quite large. The balcony is also large and has complete privacy from neighboring balconies. The side walls of the balcony have mirrors, which is a novel way to make the view even more striking. We were fortunate to be upgraded to a Rome-view room, which overlooked the City and also the Vatican, not to mention the beautiful grounds. We will never forget sitting on the balcony drinking champagne. It was among the most romantic settings we've ever experienced.

The location of the hotel is, as everyone knows, on a hill on the outskirts of the city. To us that was a huge advantage. The city itself tends to be dirty, noisy and crowded, and the Cavalieri served as our "retreat". True, it wasn't convenient to all the historic sites, but the shuttle ran like clockwork and we had no problems getting around. Restaurants are in walking distance (20 minutes).

The breakfast buffet was without question the most varied, luxurious and decadent spread we've ever seen. It had everything. For example, there were fifteen different types of jams! If I were to rate all of the breakfast buffets in my life from 1 to 10, this would be a 12.

The spa was also incredible. I loved the Turkish bath (a huge steam room), which had a cold plunge pool inside of it and a large jacuzzi nearby.

I'm shocked and a more than a bit embarrassed by Hilton members who complain about the Diamond perks. Wow, what can I say. Upgraded room; unlimited wine, beer and champagne; free use of the spa; free Internet; and the most amazing breakfast buffet ever.

The service was also exceptional. As a Diamond member, I was greeted in a special check-in area. We were treated almost like royalty. Our luggage beat us to our room. We were personally escorted to our room by Mr. Khaled, the manager on duty. He couldn't have been nicer.

I also had the opportunity to meet the General Manager, who is a truly great guy. He obviously lives and breathes the Cavalieri and takes great pride in it (to say the least). We discussed briefly why the Cavalieri has taken a beating from a few posters, and he was sincerely perplexed because he feels that they work hard to make every stay a memorable one. They certainly did that for us.

I guess it's obvious by now that I love the Cavalieri and can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank TampaJack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,392)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Munich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

I stayed at this hotel several times before it was re-branded as a Waldorf Astoria hotel.

Back then, it was one of the most amazing hotels of the Hilton chain. Always expensive, but if you were lucky, you could sometimes get good bargains, and they would treat you very well as a Hilton Diamond member, with good upgrades and of course access to the lounge on the 7th floor.

Unfortunately, there seems to have been a change in the management, and nowadays, they treat Hilton Diamond members like dirt. They do provide what they have to, according to brand standards, but they make no differentiation between Hilton Gold and Hilton Diamond. As a Hilton Diamond member, you will NOT be upgraded to the nice lounge on the 7th floor, which is now called "Imperial Lounge", but you will be asked like everyone else to pay € 120 extra for the "privilege" to be allowed to use that lounge.

Instead, they installed a dump called "Colosseo lounge" on the ground floor, with very bright lighting like in a train station waiting hall, apparently on purpose to make you feel uncomfortable. This "lounge" is specifically for Hilton Gold and Diamond members, so they can keep them out of the actually good "Imperial lounge". It is clear that the new management does not understand that Hilton Diamond members are the most loyal customers who should be treated exceptionally well. When questioned about what they do specifically for Diamond members (who spend in excess of $ 10,000 a year at Hilton hotels, if qualifying on base points) compared to Gold members (a status that is very easily obtained in Hilton Honors through various promotions, even without stays), an employee of the hotel made up lies to make it seem like there is actually special service for Diamond members, which, however, is not the case.

Mails to the GM of the property are not responded to by the GM, but just forwarded to some guest relations manager called Khaled [--] who has sent rude replies to people, ridiculing them about their "common sense as experienced travelers" (there is more about that in the thread about this property on Flyertalk). The general attitude of the hotel when receiving complaints is dismissive.

Help with luggage is not offered, which is unacceptable for a property like this that regards itself as a 5-star hotel. The doormen don't open the door either. The check-in staff's attitude varies, but there are at least some cases, especially with regard to the male staff, where the attitude is not friendly.

It is still a beautiful hotel with great views of Rome and great breakfast, but if you are a Hilton Honors Diamond member and have stayed here before the change in branding and apparent GM change, then you will be disappointed upon your return. They used to make up for the inconvenient location outside of the city by providing special service and making you feel exceptionally welcome as a Hilton Honors Diamond member - those days are over, and considering that, there are better options in the luxury hotel class in the center of the city for Hilton Diamond members.

If you have never been to the hotel, have no status, and you do not care about lounge access and being treated with a personal touch, then you might still be impressed by what it has become.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank AroundTheWorld2828
GUEST_RELATI0NS_TEAM, Guest Relations Manager at Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, December 2, 2010
Dear Guest,

Although I didn't have the chance to welcome you, I do hope that the conversation with our GM shed some light upon the issues mentioned.

Hoping to welcome you back to Rome Cavalieri in the near future.

Best regards

K. Khaled
Guest Relations Manager on Duty
Minesing, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2010

We were so captivated with this hotel 2 years ago ( Sept/2008) that we had to come back to enjoy the splendor of this fine hotel. We were given a fantastic room facing the city and pool area. The staff was excellent and aslo paid for taxis when the shuttle bus was full.
But as a HH Diamond member, my wife and I were deeply disappointed. The executive lounge for HH members now resides on the main level and now the old executive lounge on the 7th floor is for WA members only. But you can also pay an additional 80 euros per night to have this privilege. On our last stay we stayed on the 7th floor and had the use of this lounge which was astounding!!! The food was awful, the atmosphere was plastic and the service was terrible. The executive floor at the airport Hilton was far superior!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2010

My partner and I spend 6 night at the Rome Cavalieri. I was a bit concerned considering some of the reviews that I had read; however, the experience that we had at the hotel erased all of the negative reviews that I had read. Below is a highlight of our experience:

Limo service - We arranged to be picked up at the airport to avoid and hassles of trying to explain where we were staying. We were prompted met at "the meeting point" at the airport and quickly brought to the hotel. We felt that this was money well spent. Originally, we had only arranged the service to the hotel, but was so satisfied that we arranged for the service for our return. Just a note about driving in Rome - Rome drivers are probably some of the most aggressive drivers that I had ever seen in all of my travelers so I would never suggest driving here. There were a couple of times that I just had to close my eyes and stop looking at the speedometer.

Hotel - From the moment you stepped foot on property, you knew that you were at a 1st class resort. Upon check-in, Julia brought us to a private area for VIP check-in (Diamond HH member). She was wonderful in explaining all of the amenties and advise us that we were upgraded to a room with a view of the city. The room was absolutely great. It was a huge room by Europe standards with a balcony (all rooms here have a balcony).

Executive lounge - This is the only area that I would be a little critical of. In most Hilton properties, the executive lounge has a private access. At the Cavalieri, it is down the hall on the first floor. It just seems that anyone could walk in (although they asked for your room number). In my opinion, the Imperial level should be your executive level and it was give your distinguish guests a better overall experience.

Room service - Although I read bad reviews about the price of room service, I would tell everyone that it is worth the price. One of the night, we did not feel like going out and finally gave in to the "expensive" price of room service. When they delivered our food to our room, we got over the sticker shock. The presentation was gorgeous and we felt like we had our own private dining room in our room.

Shuttle service - This is a wonderful service offered by the hotel.. The shuttle was prompt and was a great money saver. We took at taxi to the Vatican on one of the days of our vacation and it was 15 Euro. Trust me this service is a true benefit and worth tipping the driver considering the cost savings. The drop off/pick up location is easy to find.

Gym and spa - This property has a full gym with state of the art equipment. With the exception of the Hilton - New Orleans, I have never seen a better gym in all of our travels.

Nearby restaurants - Believe it or not, there are restaurants near the hotel if you don't mind a little walking time. We ate at 2 wonderful neighborhood restaurants and got the chance to witness a true Italian eathing experience.

Finally, I know that individuals complain about the huge tower in front of the hotel, but here is a good thing about it - it can help you find the hotel when you are walking. One day, we decided to be adventureous and walk from the Vatican back to the hotel. We did use the tower as our guide. Although it was quite a long walk, we felt like we had won "the Amazing Race" when we got back to the hotel. Thanks to the tower we were able to find the hotel. Without it, we would probably still be looking for our way back.

Overall - I would highly recommend the Rome Cavalieri for its outstanding service. The hotel website is on target - you know exactly what your experience will be. So if you want a relaxing vacation up on a hill top in the lap of luxury, you definitely want to stay here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank IndianapolisRonnieB
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

Staying at Cavalieri was one of the highlight of my trip to Italy. I was well aware that hotel is not close to Rome center but there were too many things to compensate for that distance (cab was 15 Euro from hotel to city center). Free shuttle helped as well but I wish it had more extended hours.
I was pleasantly impressed with a lot of things . I have stayed in many luxury hotel collection over the years. Cavalieri definitely stands high in the list. First impression from outside of building maybe not exciting. Walking into the hotel changed whole my perception. The gym was definitely the best I have ever seen in any hotel I have ever stayed, easily competitive with any fancy chain fitness center. ( I admit that gym was compliementary). Breakfast Buffet was very good. Though, It shouldnot be compared to Las Vegas Buffet which basically serve brunch rather than breakfast.
Lobby Ambience was warm and alive. I admit the night I arrived, I was so pleasantly impressed by the hotel, I stayed at the hotel instead of going out whole evening.
Certainly all these great amenities come with big price tag, but it was not something unusual if you know you are in a World class Luxuary Hotel. Thankful to Cavalieri for making a wonderful trip , even more amazing.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Babatoos
Wien
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2010

We stayed for four nights and it was great, the hotel is more than luxury.
The breakfast buffet is delicious and huge, really nice.
The view of the roof terrace over the city is amazing.
The staff really friendly and helpful, and the guest rooms are big and well equiped with all standards and have a nice view if you get a room with city view otherwise you look at the entrance area which is a bit dissapointing.
The only thing is the location as you need a taxi if you stay in the city in the evening to come back, not within walking distance. But during the day a shuttle bus is offered by the hotel free of charge so thats great too.
I would again book this hotel for my next visit to Rome.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank HotellerieGirl
Phoenix, az
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2010

I have been staying at finer hotels and resorts over the last 10 years - the Rome Cavalieri ranks as one of the best. From the moment we walked into the hotel we were treated like royalty. I wasn't sure what to expect (b/c some people have written negative reviews - can't imagine why) but was overwhelmingly impressed with everything! We arrived a day early and stayed at the Westin Excelsior... couldn't compare to the Rome Cavalieri. We booked an Imperial Club room - definitely recommend to anyone - We had access to the Imperial Club Lounge from morning to night, internet access, pool and spa access... and daily breakfast to DIE FOR!

Our room was super spacious and plush! The bathroom was stocked with Acqua di Parma products and included was a Pillow & Soap menu! The hotel is a bit out of the main city BUT they provide a complimentary shuttle and the on-site ammenities compensate for a few dollars you may spend in cab fare!

If you want an incredible experience, go to the Rome Cavalieri! Don't listen to the negative comments, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple