Two weeks ago I stayed at the Cavalieri for two nights with my wife as part of a long-planned 30th anniversary trip. It was the best hotel experience we've ever had.
Here is what I encountered firsthand.
The exterior of the hotel is actually quite nice, but the interior is incredible. The works of art surpass many museums. We were amazed.
The Colosseo executive lounge was large and airy... I honestly have no idea why it has gotten such criticism from a few folks. It is modern and well lit. I loved the design and decor. Two walls are glass -- one glass wall looks into the hallway (with some great paintings by the way) and the opposite glass wall looks out on a private patio. There are ten tables that sit four people each, so there's seating room for 40. There is a large glass refrigerator that holds juice, soda and several quality beer selections. There is also coffee, tea, red wine, white wine and champagne. Food is "snacky" such as nuts, finger sandwiches, etc.
Our room was gorgeous. The rooms are designed to feel like a mini-suite, and the woodwork is beautiful. The marble bathroom is quite large. The balcony is also large and has complete privacy from neighboring balconies. The side walls of the balcony have mirrors, which is a novel way to make the view even more striking. We were fortunate to be upgraded to a Rome-view room, which overlooked the City and also the Vatican, not to mention the beautiful grounds. We will never forget sitting on the balcony drinking champagne. It was among the most romantic settings we've ever experienced.
The location of the hotel is, as everyone knows, on a hill on the outskirts of the city. To us that was a huge advantage. The city itself tends to be dirty, noisy and crowded, and the Cavalieri served as our "retreat". True, it wasn't convenient to all the historic sites, but the shuttle ran like clockwork and we had no problems getting around. Restaurants are in walking distance (20 minutes).
The breakfast buffet was without question the most varied, luxurious and decadent spread we've ever seen. It had everything. For example, there were fifteen different types of jams! If I were to rate all of the breakfast buffets in my life from 1 to 10, this would be a 12.
The spa was also incredible. I loved the Turkish bath (a huge steam room), which had a cold plunge pool inside of it and a large jacuzzi nearby.
I'm shocked and a more than a bit embarrassed by Hilton members who complain about the Diamond perks. Wow, what can I say. Upgraded room; unlimited wine, beer and champagne; free use of the spa; free Internet; and the most amazing breakfast buffet ever.
The service was also exceptional. As a Diamond member, I was greeted in a special check-in area. We were treated almost like royalty. Our luggage beat us to our room. We were personally escorted to our room by Mr. Khaled, the manager on duty. He couldn't have been nicer.
I also had the opportunity to meet the General Manager, who is a truly great guy. He obviously lives and breathes the Cavalieri and takes great pride in it (to say the least). We discussed briefly why the Cavalieri has taken a beating from a few posters, and he was sincerely perplexed because he feels that they work hard to make every stay a memorable one. They certainly did that for us.
I guess it's obvious by now that I love the Cavalieri and can't recommend it highly enough.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking the panorama that has inspired visitors for centuries is Rome's most prestigious address – the Rome Cavalieri hotel. Though only minutes from the city's great monuments, the Rome Cavalieri has the tranquility of an oasis. Enclosed in fifteen acres of lush Mediterranean parklands, this luxury hotel is a calm retreat in the heart of the Eternal City, an elegant refuge where time slows and hearts quicken.The first hotel in Europe to be part of the exclusive Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, the Rome Cavalieri hotel is more than just a 5–star property. It's the pre-eminent luxury hotel in Rome, with an art collection that outshines many museums, a Grand Spa that would be the envy of a prestige health resort, and standards of luxury that set it apart from other Rome hotels. The Rome Cavalieri brings new meaning to notions of Italian style, and new purpose to the fine art of exclusive hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hilton EMEA, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Despegar.com, Agoda, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Jetsetter, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels And Resorts
- Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotel Rome
- Hilton International Rome
- Hilton Rome
- Rome Hilton International
- Hilton Hotel Rome
- Rome Cavalieri Hilton