“ONE OF THE BEST I HAVE EVER STAYED AT”

Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #70 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Orlando, Florida
“ONE OF THE BEST I HAVE EVER STAYED AT”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

My wife and I stayed a few weeks ago. I was worried about the Waldorf being outside of Rome but upon arrival, I knew I made the right choice! This is a beautiful resort hotel. The pool area was spectacular, the view of Rome was fantastic and the hotel itself was beautiful. The shuttle got us in and out of Rome with no issues. When needed, we took a taxi for about 10 euros.

The rooms were large. The staff was terrific. I visited a couple of higher end hotels I was going to stay at in the city and they just did not compare.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with view of the city.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
RobertaR0SSI, Responsabile reception at Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a praising note. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with all the Team Members who contributed day after day to make your stay so special.

We are delighted reading that you have enjoyed your visit to the Eternal City.

At Rome Cavalieri all Team Members are passionate about delivering first class service and ensure that guests leave the hotel more than fully satisfied, taking away pleasant memories.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in future occasion.

Front Desk Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,404)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We've stayed many time at this hotel and Every time it's a 10 on 10 !
Rooms are clean / Spa is well kept / Location is 10-15 mins to Spanish Steps and very quiet ...

The pool is is a big plus with our kids (Something for everyone).

Great place !

Room Tip: Get a room with a city view, you can see the Vatican
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We are delighted reading that you have enjoyed your visit to the Eternal City.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to your ‘home away from home’ real soon!

Belmar, New Jersey, USA
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

The very best hotel we have stayed in. Had a beautiful view of the Vatican. Hotel shuttle takes you to the heart of Rome. The service was fantastic and the employees were all extremely nice and helpful to us. Loved our stay here!

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

What a pleasure to hear such nice comments about the Rome Cavalieri and our team members.

Thank you for taking the time to let us have your impressions about our hotel, which will be definitely shared with our staff.

At the Rome Cavalieri we are very proud of our service and it is always a pleasure to know we achieved our goal: providing a unique experience to our customers and meet every client's expectations.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We stayed here for three nights as we were moving from Rome. I was looking forward to relaxing by the pool, enjoying the nice restaurants, etc...unfortunately, we were too busy wrapping up our move details to actually take advantage of this beautiful hotel.

The reception desk, concierge staff, and valet staff were very polite and helpful. Check-in was smooth and quick, and our 12+ bags arrived to our room within minutes (we were moving!). The room itself was spacious, and the bathroom carried Ferragamo products and had ample towels.

That being said we were underwhelmed by the bar and restaurant staff. We checked in around 6pm and wanted a quick bite to eat. The only option was the pool bar, and the server told us we couldn't order any food because it was 6:40pm and they closed at 7pm. When we asked if we could just have soup or a quick salad (something that didn't require cook time), we were told it was still "not possible." Allora! Such an Italian attitude!

One other note - I'm willing to pay for Michelin-starred food and service (which is on premises), but the bar/lounge menu seemed over the top (even for a Waldorf property). 34€ for a club sandwich? 8€ for a 50ml bottle of water? Come on!

Finally, this hotel offers gorgeous views of Rome, but it is a little off the beaten path. Forget public transportation. Your only options are taxis or the hotel shuttle. The shuttle is convenient for getting into town, but the last pickup at Barberini was at 9pm. Seriously? Given that dinner doesn't usually start until 8pm...this seemed a bit lacking.

All in all...we would definitely stay here again...but it certainly helps that we have HHonors status. You could certainly find a similar quality hotel for the same price in a more convenient location.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ashleydburleson
RobertaR0SSI, Responsabile reception at Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts during your recent visit to the Eternal City and for submitting a review regarding your stay.

We would like to inform you that our prices are in line with 5 Star Luxury Properties and we do offer many room packages that our guests could reserve in advance that include many facilities to their liking.

We do sympathize with your discomfort at the pool bar and I would like to apology on behalf of all Rome Cavalieri Team if the welcome was not what you had hoped for.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We stay here each year after flying 30 hours from New Zealand because it has a beautiful pool and room to move. The rooms are good and once we sit down poolside and order a pizza and champagne, we know we are finally on holidays. The free shuttle bus to town also helps. It's not a cheap hotel and they have invented a charge for just about everything, but overall, we love it.

Room Tip: Pay more for the view if you think you will sit in your room and look at the view otherwise don'...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
RobertaR0SSI, Responsabile reception at Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts during your recent visit to the Eternal city and for submitting a review regarding your stay.

We are so glad to read that your stay was a memorable one and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hainesport, New Jersey
Reviewed August 3, 2014

For years I've heard great things about this resort: stunning views of Rome, unbelievable food, amazing service, and wonderful perks for members of Hilton HHonors frequent guest program. Over the last year or two, there appears to have been significant cuts in benefits for those HHonors guests, and with many negative reviews of such here and elsewhere online, I was very nervous about booking here.

I booked an Imperial room and even though I'm a Diamond member, they were unable to give me even a view upgrade. I'm not sure what the difference in being a Diamond member versus an Imperial floor guest gets you, but I was entitled to Imperial Lounge access, free breakfast in the resort's main eatery, a drink at the lobby bar, WiFi service, and 2 bottles of water in the room each day (1 still, 1 sparkling.)

I was underwhelmed by the Imperial Lounge. While the waitstaff was friendly and was more than eager to whip up a coffee or tea, the desk agent wasn't much help. I needed advice on tours and transportation, and she referred me to the concierge in the lobby. Food was more of the snack/appetizer variety during the day/evening and breakfast options were very limited. I actually did not like the quality of the breakfast food in the lounge. The quality of the food at other times was OK, but again, everything was an appetizer/snack size bite or portion. While some other international lounges provide a lot of food, this isn't one of them: don't assume you can replace a meal simply by relying on the lounge. The lounge provided nice views of Rome though, so there was that. But the lounge was always packed, and sometimes you had to wait for a chair to sit in.

After a disappointing breakfast in the lounge, I spent the balance of my breakfasts in their main restaurant. The food there was ample and varied, and overall very good. Service there was also nice.

I also dined one evening in the restaurant; while food was good, service was so-so and prices were very expensive. Without wine or dessert, my dinner for 1 was about $125US.

My room was nice, but not exceptional. Furnishings were tasteful and classy, and the warming bar for towels in the bathroom was a very nice touch. Otherwise, the room was a bit on the smaller side and the view was mediocre at best. The room was nice and quiet though ...and the bed/linens provided a great night sleep. But at these prices and with the Waldorf brand, I wouldn't expect anything less. Toiletries were standard Waldorf fare; I was actually surprised that a premium local soap/shampoo set wasn't used.

The hotel is located outside of central Rome. On the plus side, it's location provides great views of the city. But on the negative side, it becomes expensive to get anywhere. I recommend that people use Uber to get around --I found Uber to be more affordable and accessible than the taxis/car service the hotel arranged.

Overall, I considered this hotel to be very nice with friendly staff. But I would consider this property more as a really nice Hilton than anything more upscale than that. Other than the pricetag, I didn't feel like I was getting anything more luxurious than I would elsewhere ...nor were there so many extras and niceties that matched the pricetag that you'd get at other world-class high-end properties. (Like complimentary in-room shoe-shine, morning beverages delivered to the room, personalized menus in the restaurants, special baths drawn, fresh fruit and/or flowers in the room, etc.)

If I were to head back to Rome, I'd probably look to save money and head closer to town for other high-end options.

Room Tip: Always ask for a Rome view.
Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Michael_K_SNJ
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay.

We have read your comments with attention and really regret that your first impression of our hotel was disappointing.

At the Rome Cavalieri all Team Members are passionate about delivering first class service even though your disappointment show up that we are not strong enough and we need to focus on guests’ needs constantly and ensure that guests leave the hotel more than fully satisfied, taking away only pleasant memories.

This said, I would like to apology on behalf of all Rome Cavalieri Team if the welcome was not what you had hoped for and if you have not felt well looked after during your stay.

Indeed our HHonors Diamond members are privileged guests, however there are occasions on which the room upgrade is not available upon guests’ arrival as it is subject availability. Kindly note that July is peak season month in Rome and sometimes the room upgrade is not applicable to all our valued HHonors members.

We do appreciate your loyalty to the Hilton Worldwide family and we do hope that you will allow us the opportunity of regaining your confidence whenever your travel plans again bring you to Rome. Whenever this may be, please do not hesitate to let me know and I will be happy to assist you with your booking request or other arrangements.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Fell in love with this hotel when I stayed during my honeymoon years ago. Please note that I was unable to select the correct date. I stayed here in november of 2010.

The location is not inside the city, but taxis are readily available. The view from the imperial floors with rome view are outstanding.

The service is top notch. Concierge is knowledgeable. There is even a bed menu to choose how you want your bedding. The food is great, the staff are great. It's a luxury hotel that feels the part. I dont think there is a better hotel with a view in Rome.

The King Imperial Room is not the largest room, but it is big enough. The bathroom has all the best amenities and the towels are warmed by the warmer. A nice touch when it started ti drizzle outside, we could even use it to warm our clothes.

The restaurants were great. La Pergola is 3 michelin stars and they catered to my needs as a muslim by changing some dishes to vegetarion/seafood. A restaurant of this quality requires you to wear formal clothes (jacket required) and you must book well in advance. The food is amazing and so is the view.

This is my go to hotel in rome and everyone I have recommended it to has loved it.

Would definitely recommend this

Room Tip: Higher floors. Best view imperial rome view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts to celebrate your honeymoon in the Eternal City and for submitting a review regarding your stay.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.