“Everything and more!”

Ranked #67 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
SAINT MARYS
“Everything and more!”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We began our trip in Italy with two nights in Rome at the Cavalieri. Wonderful start to an amazing trip! First, as Gold members we were upgraded to an amazing suite. Our complimentary buffet breakfasts were definitely worthy of compliments, especially the fresh OJ. Given the hot wether we actually chose to lounge by the pool each afternoon before going into the city; it was wonderful. Our final night we spent "on the roof", overlooking the city and Vatican, listening to music from the pool deck and sipping wine...priceless!

Our accommodations were wonderful, the staff that we interacted with we're very friendly and helpful, and the pillows were to die for! If I have to find a nit to pick, the refrigerator wasn't cold the way we like it....but there was plenty of ice!

Thank you Cavalieri, for exceeding our dreams and making our trip unforgettable!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Thomas C
Guest R, Manager at Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts during your recent visit to the Eternal city.

We are so glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay and that our staff, services & facilities met your expectations.

A. Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
River Forest, Illinois
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have stayed at many of Rome's high-end hotels and this is one of the best-if not the best for beauty and service but there are a few things you should know. If you are traveling in the summer, they have a beautiful pool with an accompanying children's pool. Children can swim in the big pool and guards are terrific in the little pool but if you want to lounge by the pool, it's 18 euro per person. Yes, if you are a guest of the hotel, there is a charge for a chair. I found this ridiculous. For the price you pay to stay at this hotel, you should be getting a chair.
The breakfast is outstanding. I strongly suggest getting that in your room package. If you can spring for it, get a room with a city view. It's spectacular.
The rooms are all fantastic. Even the basic room is very lush and with ever room having room darkening shades and a mirrored sound proofing extra door, you will sleep with no problems.
Even though this hotel is not in the center of rome, there is an hourly shuttle that takes you to Piazza Barbarini and back. The shuttle closes down for a few hours around lunch so triple check the travel times.
I find this hotel to be one of the best in rome because you can relax (without all the Vespa sounds which are comstant in rome) and also be in the enter of rome in 20 minutes.

Room Tip: Get a room with a city view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lisdc1
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts during your recent visit to the Eternal city and for taking the time to submit a review regarding your stay.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Claremore, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Excellent luxury hotel. Fantastic view of St. Peters and Rome from the rooftop restaurant. The service is outstanding. The bedding is fabulous. It is on top of a hill in a nice area. There are several fine restaurants in the area. You do have to take a taxi to most of the sites in town, but for around 10E each way it is not bad. If you are looking for a luxury hotel with a view of Rome this is the place for you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Steve74017
Dear Guest,

We are so glad to read that your stay was a memorable one and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Cave Creek, Arizona
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I spent 4 nights at this fine hotel. It did not disappoint. At check-in, I was warmly welcomed, not a canned or forced speech that some US W=A properties impose on me. My Hhonors Gold status was acknowledged with a note listed my Gold amenities on the property (free Internet, free breakfast buffet, a free beverage at the bar) and I was whisked away to my room. The room was elegant and bright. A surprise of a welcome amenity consisting of a box of truffles and a large chocolate coin that celebrated the Cavalieri's 50th anniversary. I never received anything like that at a US W=A! I did get a great laugh out of the pillow menu - 11 different kinds of pillows available for your sleeping pleasure. I did not have a Rome View room, which was perfectly fine with me. I was up early in the morning and I never got back to the hotel before 11pm. Sitting out on the patio, sipping a Barolo, looking out over the lights was just fine for me. One night, there was a brief lightning storm that passed over Rome - watching the "fireworks" from the top of Monte Mario was amazing.
If you are going to stay at the Cavalieri, definitely make use of their excellent Concierge staff. I had emailed them earlier with some requests for restaurant reservations around Rome and also transfer from FCO to the hotel. All requests were done promptly and I received email confirmations. Nothing was amiss on what I asked.
No issue with taking the shuttle down to Piazza Barbieri or grabbing taxi back if I wanted to. Where the shuttle drops off is a good spot and is within easy walking distance of all the centro storico sights that you would want.
People will quibble about fees for this, Internet access issues. Internet issues have been prevalent at just about every hotel I stayed at in Europe, it's just the way it is, I think. You have a lot of people trying to make use of a finite bandwidth. The other fees, like for pool, spa, fitness center, it is a hotel's prerogative to charge them. I really don't have a problem with this. I've read the website, saw the charges. If I want to use facilities, I know I will pay.
Some US Waldorf Astoria managers should be required to visit the Cavalieri to be schooled on how an upscale hotel with the history of Waldorf Astoria SHOULD be operated. It was not understaffed, genuinely friendly, delivered personalized service, and worked to make my stay memorable. Well done.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Javalina_Jane

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed June 27, 2013

...you dream about! We cashed in the Hilton points to stay 2 nights at this beautiful hotel. They are on top of a hill which has pros and cons. It is a 20 minute shuttle bus ride to get down to the histories areas but you have the most amazing view. The rooms are great and so is the service. Perhaps the most comprehensive and impressive breakfast buffet that I have ever seen. The pool and spa are top notch. I actually found myself chatting with a tennis player at the spa who I later found out was Novak Djokovic.

This was a great stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

At 50 years old, this grand hotel offers more charm and luxury than most new hotels could ever hope for.

People:
The wonderful people working in this hotel are quick to take care of any need you may have. Service at check in, at the restaurants, by the pool and in the spa was all first class!

Restaurants:
The selection and quality of food at breakfast was overwhelming. There were plenty of options to make breakfast a new experience every morning of our stay.

Spa:
Marble, metal, and glass all come together to make this sanctuary an incredibly relaxing experience. My feet craved a visit every evening after walking around Rome all day.

Room and View:
The rooms had lots of space and were clean and well maintained. At first I was concerned about a room off the elevator lobby, but the soundproof door and roll down shutters allowed us to sleep in a dark and quiet room anytime we wanted. A room with a view of Rome is a must. We sat on the balcony one night with a bottle of wine, prosciutto and cheese.

Quiet and Convenient:
Located outside the city center, this hotel offers peace and quiet one can't find inside the city. The air smells of flowers, there is no traffic and there are several nice restaurants within a 10 minute walk. The shuttle to the city runs often, and if you must travel on your own, a cab is usually less than $20.

When we return to Rome, we will certainly stay here again!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Guest R, Manager at Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are so glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay during our 50th celebration and that our staff, services & facilities met your expectations.

Bloomfield, New Jersey
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I booked this hotel without realizing strict fire code restriction on limiting amount of people in a room and my vacation was saved by Nancy at the front desk and other staff.

I am forever grateful by their compassion for my situation and working to solve my situation.

As you can expect, hotel is luxurious all around and we loved it so much that we didn't leave the hotel for our two night stay with our kids. We spent time by the pool and imperial lounge.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family