“A real magnet--you must return” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 1,456 things to do in Rome
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Certainly the most famous and photographed fountain in Rome, legend has it that whoever throws a coin into the pond will return to Rome.
Amman, Jordan
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“A real magnet--you must return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

IN 1980 I visited Trevi Fountain for the first time, and tossed my coins! In 2012 I returned! A lot of coins in the fountain and water out the spout! And a LOT more people standing in tiers to enjoy the classic beauty of the sculptures and the sound of the clear splashing water. That never changes. We could hardly get close enough to toss our coins, but we did. I pulled out some REALLY small change from my tiny zippered coin purse--gave a couple to my daughter in law and son, leaving less than 50 cents (Euro cents) in it, and stuck it in my pocket while I took pictures. I am always careful with the big stuff to keep it buried deep in my zippered purse! Later when I went to buy something cheap, it was gone! too tempting for the pick pockets that abound in these crowded areas. Just a warning, Italy is teeming with these petty thieves, everywhere. It didn't detract from the fun we had! A bright sunny day with the sparkling water to be enjoyed as did everyone else on the piazza.

Visited September 2012

• Vietnamese first
Philippines
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 203 helpful votes
“Amazed by it's beauty!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Truly amazed by the beauty of this famous tourist attraction...the Fontana de Trevi! Walked the old cobblestone streets of Rome to reach this architectural and engineering landmark. Being a first timer in Rome, I was surprised to see this magnificent work of art "hidden" within the old buildings in the city. I stood still for several minutes enjoying the lovely sight. Tossed a Euro to the fountain as tradition tells me, hoping and wishing to come back in the future.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank saint28daisy
Fort Worth, Texas
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Lovely at night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Visited at night and during the day--very crowded but lots of police around. My husband was targeted for pickpocketing at this fountain on a past visit so I was very diligent to watch my surroundings. The lighting at night makes this a beautiful spot for a picture.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank wiggygailTX
Cornwall
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 204 helpful votes
“Its a must for any trip to Rome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful and inspiring - you really do need to make it part of your Rome itinerary - some quite expensive shops in the vicinity but that is to be expected

Honolulu, Hawaii
250 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 179 helpful votes
“Lovely but....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

When in Rome do as the Romans do, go somewhere else.
Kidding ....
Ofcourse one must visit Fontana di Trevi !!!! Its Historical, cinematic, and actually quite beautiful.
Then only thing that you may or may not find weird is that its TINY. When watching Audrey Hepburn dine across the fountain in " A Roman Holiday" or rather sit in the Piazza, I was expecting this fountain to be Gigantic. How wrong I was... Small , quaint but still stunningly beautiful The fontana di trevi is still worth a visit ... As is the amazing Gelato stores adjacent to it.
Beware of Pick pocketers ( so they say) even though we felt perfectly safe...
Steps away are the Spanish steps and the buildings surrounding the fountain is so adorable... Down the Road is my favorite store to visit : Rome's FENDI store gorgeous!

Visited May 2012