“Impressive”

Ranked #4 of 1,869 things to do in Rome
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Certainly the most famous and photographed fountain in Rome, legend has it that whoever throws a coin into the pond will return to Rome.
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I can't even begin to imagine the madhouse this place must be in tourist season. It was already crowded with throngs who seemed more interested in having their picture taken than even looking at the fountain. The square is very small and crowded with buildings. I would say to avoid it from April to October as you won't get near it.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Yes, it is very crowded almost all the time. But it is worth it. You still will have no trouble getting right up front and getting your "throwing the coin backwards" photo if you want it, just nicely work your way up front. I found people to be very nice and friendly despite the crowds. I went during the day and during the evening so I could get nice photos in different light. It's amazing how different it looks - a lot of Rome needs to be seen both ways!

1  Thank merrietraveler
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We arrived late evening to Rome and decided to go out and get something to eat, and by pure accident we ran into The Trevi Fountain! Whilst the fountain is a beautiful and magical masterpiece, the crowd, and the sellers are not! The only time we got a decent photo was when we visited the fountain in the morning, otherwise past 9.30am - 12am you are going to have trouble taking a decent photo, also there are "sellers" who will come up to the lady and say "oh let me take a photo of you and your boyfriend" but what they really mean is "let me take a photo of you both and you must pay for it". I was asked this question around 5 times in the 2 trips we made to the Trevi! We went in January so I dare to think what it must be like in the height of summer.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

It is overly crowded. All the times I have been there, people and vendors are everywhere. Does it take away from the beauty?...Not really. Take a minute to sit and take the fountain in, maybe move to a different angle. Spectacular. It is less crowded during the day, but didn't leave as much of a lasting impression as the night time viewing.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Go to the Trevi Fountain at night time - it's awesome, the lights, the sound of the water the general atmosphere - brilliant