“Very Welcoming”

Neighborhood: Campo Marzio
Pasadena, California
“Very Welcoming”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

One of the first things my family noticed when we entered Giggi was that there were many more locals than tourists. Nevertheless, our waiter Nicola went out of his way to make us feel welcome. Despite our weak Italian language skills, we were able to navigate the lengthy menu. Nicola made excellent recommendations and brought us delicious appetizers without our asking. The Crostini with porcini mushrooms was fantastic. This was our only repeat restauarnt during our week in Rome.

• Visited July 2012

• Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
“Loved it!”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We don't often return to a restaurant when we are in a city in Europe, mostly because we are looking for variety. Da Giggi was terrific and we went back a second time. Little atmosphere, but great food.

Visited May 2012
Berkeley, California
“Good food, modest prices, warm, friendly service”
Reviewed March 12, 2012

My husband and I went to Da Giggi together, and then returned a few days later with 30 American college students who were enrolled in our summer abroad class. Both times, the food was very good, and the service was warm and friendly. The students loved it. Giggi is very proud of his career in film and of his authentic Roman food. He talked with my husband at length in Italian. Not a fancy place but very pleasant, and the prices are reasonable.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank Michelle S
Port Townsend, Washington
“What a great find”
Reviewed February 3, 2012

This is my first 5 star rating but this small trattoria half way between Piazza di Spagna and Piazza del Popolo is worth a visit. It is a perfect example of a small distinctly Roman trattoria seating about 30. Vegetables are served at room temperature from already prepared trays which you can view before making your selection. Meat dishes are great, pasta fabulous, deserts divine. Expect them to be out of some of the dishes on the menu which is typical for all small restaurants in Italy. The wait staff is attentive but not hovering. All in all a delightful experience. Closed on Tuesday.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank bassman46
Evanston, Illinois
“Forget it”
Reviewed February 2, 2012

We went to Giggi on a slow night and the rather large owner-waiter (who seemed to have trouble breathing) told us that this was "real deal" Roman food. This lumbering man then proceeded to ignore us in favor of his regulars (I guess). It took ages it seemed just to get our order in, but an epoch to be served. Everyone who came in after us and then ordered was served before us. It was certainly not that we ordered anything exotic: that's impossible with the truly limited menu of the GIggi (even for Rome). The guy favors some and not others. (I had thought that attitude died with Mussolini but apparently I was wrong.) We did not get bread until the meal was served, about 40 minutes after ordering. What we finally got was far from the "real deal." It was very forgettable even after all that time and, indeed, markedly inferior to other Roman restaurants' fare. My pepe e calcio was unlike any I've ever eaten, essentially tasteless but for the huge amount of pepper on it. One of my children had fettucine bolognese and the others other such simple fare. Other Roman chefs can do wonders with this, but not the Giggi. The kids' response to my question of "how was it?" was "meh." The house wine was blander than any wine I've had in Rome for a month. It was only after we'd finished eating these dishes that the large man showed any further interest in us. When we said we didn't want any more food or drink, although there was no one waiting and there were tables free, he ordered us to leave. The table was reserved, he said, and there were others waiting. An obvious lie. This was really the first time in my life - and I've been to Rome many times - that I was ordered out of a Roman restaurant. This simply isn't done and it was a huge rudeness. The large man was apparently irked that we were not ordering more food and wine. If you want to be treated condescendingly, ignored or the object perhaps of some latent dislike for tourists, go to the Giggi for forgettable food. If you want the "real Roman experience" and to be treated
just the same as others eating in the restaurant with you, go elsewhere. There are many much much better restaurants even in the area of Prati.

• Visited June 2011
5 Thank TheEyeInEvanston

Been to Trattoria da Giggi? Share your experiences!