“Rome for a day? Here's your first place to visit!”

Gelateria Il Dolce Sorriso
Ranked #5 of 803 Dessert in Rome
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Well this is one of the places I miss the most about rome..and that's saying something as I practice architecture. Me and my girlfriend were waking back from the medieval part of rome one night when we stumbled upon this beauty of a place. After eating the worst fajitas in our life this was the saving grace to our night, anyway we were drawn in by the unique freezer with what was like thin chocolate shell with smooth gelato inside. Mmmmmmm people who has been here will know exactly what I mean. Some points on my experience

STAFF - went here a few times (just had too) and the staff always give u trial of gelato even if u ain't buying any which is a great tactic cause u alway buy gelato. The owner and his staff were great, very helpful, good banter and never pushy.

SHOP/GELATO - we went to quite a few gelato places and this one had the best flavour and selection by far. Other places may had more selection, but some flavours they tried didn't work. This place had the best gelato. The wee chocolate shell things were the cherry on top. Defo get both when u go.. Ur on holiday go for it! Lol he also sells some alcohol aswell, got freezing cold bottles of jack daniels and coke. :)

All gelato places have reasonable prices so they are all very similar 3 euro for 3 scoops...as I say if u r goin to rome for a day make this a place to go to. Can't wait to go back. Going to use my vatican tour money on it next time. :)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,287)

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I love a good, artisanal gelato, but sorry this just didnt cut it for me. The flavors and texture were good, but I would not go out of my way to try this again. I tried a few and decided on ricotta pear, which was excellent, biscotto and fig with walnut. The texture and all was satisfying, but it left me with the same feeling of a store bought or factory gelato. Sorry!!! preferred Ti Amo Gelato and come Il Latte.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

On a warm and sunny day after taking a few wrong turns we finally found Il Dolce Sorriso and boy were we glad. We got excellent service, got to taste almost all of the gelatos, everything done with a big, warm smile from the woman behind the counter. Drop in if you´re in the neighborhood, it´s worth it :)

Reviewed July 9, 2013

The staff was realy nice, they let us try the different flaviors, which most places don't. realy sweet english speaking girls.
And of course, the ice-cream was realy good as well!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

It was good, but nothing as fancy or extravagant as most of the reviews on TA imply. They simply ask you to rate them as you're leaving the store. Good selection, good prices, good location, and that's all there is to it.

Also, TA lists this under breakfast/brunch. There isn't any, only gelato.

Been to Gelateria Il Dolce Sorriso? Share your experiences!