“Caffe Accademia is a lovel...oh no, hang on...it's ACTUALLY HORRENDOUS!”
Review of Caffe Accademia

Caffe Accademia
Ranked #10,163 of 12,362 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Trevi
Chesham, United Kingdom
“Caffe Accademia is a lovel...oh no, hang on...it's ACTUALLY HORRENDOUS!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Well where do I start? We should really have seen the signs from the moment we
sat down but unfortunately hindsight is a wonderful thing. Three of us were wandering through Rome on a warm September’s evening looking for a place to have an evening meal - we were ushered to a pleasant al fresco table at Caffe Accademia by a, certainly enthusiastic, waiter. Initially the service was polite. We ordered bread, oils and drinks. I can recall looking at the menu and thinking “oh, those prices are a little on the expensive side, but we’ll go with it as it seems a pleasant little outfit.” The, too-enthusiastic by now, waiter soon returned with our bread and drinks and we ordered out starters and main meals. Again, at this point, all seemed to be progressing well and there were no real issues. Approximately 20 minutes later our food arrives, but what’s this I see - our starters and our main courses are on the same plate? That’s not normal is it? “Oh no, it is normal” we’re assured by Mr Over-Enthusiastic. “Well no it isn’t - can we have them separately?” we protest. “No” is the categorical response we receive. It seems that the customer isn’t always right in Caffe Accademia! “You don’t understand how food is meant to be served!” he drones to us.

OK, we’ll go with it…again. We had realised that the waiter was probably attempting to get rid of us quicker so that he could have the table back and get more diners sat and fed. Maybe takings are down…? Hmmm, I can’t imagine why...anyway, I decide that I’m going to take twice as long to eat my special Caffe Accademia starter/main continental combination (look out for it at an appaling restaurant near you soon!) because of this. I manage to spend 50 minutes eating my starter/main and also decided to pretend to choke a piece of meat when they were trying to attract business from passing trade. It worked quite well actually and it irritated Mr Annoyingly-Enthusiastic a lot so I found that even more amusing.

By the time we’d all finished we had decided enough was enough and, slightly irritated by the poor service and average food, we asked for the bill. Well that didn’t work because the waiter we asked said that he wasn’t the one looking after our table…so, oh no, here comes Mr Idiotically-Enthusiastic again who presents us with the bill.

This is the point where I choke for real on plain and simple air. The total cost for a meal consisting of:

o Bread
o 3 Drinks (x2 Coke, x1 Wine)
o 3 Starters (x3 Bruchette)
o 3 Mains (x1 Lasagne, x2 Steaks)

Comes to E143.00 including service (We did ask what service we had actually been provided with during the course of the meal but I think he pretended not to understand English for that one.)

Now, I’m fully aware that all the prices were on display and that we could have achieved the total cost of the meal ourselves. Except, as far as I was concerned:

o We weren’t presented with separate starters and mains - it was a main with a side. So why should be charged for two different courses?
o We were charged for the wrong Steaks - I asked for ‘number 31’ on the menu (being E16.00) and we were charged for ‘number 36’ (being E21.00). Mr Twattingly-Annoying didn’t accept this and said we were lying.
o The pricing was not displayed in a clear way on the menus.

So, we question the price and are told that we have to pay in full and we cannot pay without the service charge, which is compulsory. So, that’s another “No”. Then, when we protest more, he calls the police and we are left with little choice but to pay the whole bill to avoid any more trouble.

Despite what other reviewers say, pricing is not by any means normal as the three other evening meals we had in Rome were all of a superior culinary quality and were all cheaper. We dined at Est. Est. Est. Pizzeria on Via Genova which for 3 courses came to E68 with good food and good service. We also dined at the Hotel Quirinale’s restaurant on 2 nights and had delicious food with good service. Again, these meals came to E81 and E121 respectively - cheaper and of a much higher quality.

Let’s just say that when I Googled ‘Caffe Accademia’ I wasn’t surprised to find pages of 1 star ratings and reviews. To those who say “this place deserves a nice review” I completely disagree but, I guess, you were just lucky. To those reviewers and to quote a popular phrase “quit while you’re ahead” - don’t go back!

Visited March 2013

• Vietnamese first
Brisbane, Australia
“Avoid at all costs.”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The past few days in Rome I have been dining with a friend at all restaurants and give or take usually bills come to about €30.00, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. After my friend had departed Rome I decided to go for a walk, passing the Spanish steps and a little beyond I stumbled along this restaurant, it doesn't appear to be anything special, but anything goes when hungry. I had a quick peruse through the menu, it is broken down into different languages (none have prices) except the Italian version, which even for someone who doesn't speak Italian it made perfect sense.

The waitress came over to me and asked what I would like, I chose the pasta and asked for a small beer. She then asked if I would like bread with lunch and I said yes, thinking it would be plain. When the meal arrived it looked average, thrown on the plate with two pathetic pieces of bread with cheese and tomato on it, I said straight away I would only like plain bread and she ignored me. All in all it was average, upon getting the bill, it was €30.20. Immediately I knew something was odd, so I consulted the waitress and said that it was completely ridiculous, she told me it was basically completely justified as it had cheese and tomato on it. I refused and she still was adamant I shall pay.

All in all if you're passing this restaurant, and happen to look at trip advisor, or anything, just beware, stick to the menu, and enquire what the price is, if you look foreign you're basically stuffed.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank ThomasB3
Napa, CA
“horrible”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is by far the worst place we have visited on a month long trip to Italy. The service was horrible and we should have taken the first clue when the menu is laminated and translated into MANY languages but, it was crowded so we gave it a shot. I ordered the grilled fish and it came with french fries and vegetable of the day. I asked if I could substitute salad for the french fries. When the bill came they had charged 12 euros for the salad that was on my plate INSTEAD of the fries plus the 19 euros for the fish. They also add a 15% tip to the bill. Food was horrible and service deplorable.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank karendfw
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Extremely Expensive”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Popped in on way back to Metro for a couple of drinks. What a rip off. Glass of coke 10 Euro.
cappuccino 9 Euro. Plus 15% service charge for carrying out two drinks!!
They overprice drink items that people might not normally check.
Avoid at all cost!!!

• Visited December 2012
4 Thank darsot77
Minneapolis
“Tourist Scam!”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I have lived in Rome for four months, and my family came to visit for the holidays. We went to this place because they said they had hot chocolate, and it was nearby. Five hot chocolates later, and the bill was 69 EURO. Excuse me?! Never have I paid more than 4 or 5 Euro for hot chocolate, and they charged us 12 Euro each and a 9 Euro service fee.

I chewed out one of the workers (he seemed to be the manager). I was furious. He said those were "the normal prices in the city center." Obviously not, since I have ordered hot chocolate many times before. Then he said there was nothing he could do, which was definitely not true since he had some authority and knew that hot chocolate wasn't worth 12 Euro. Then he just put all the blame on the poor waitress who had been incredibly polite to us. Also, I had bad vibes from him in the beginning because he kept pointing out how we were American. NEVER okay with me.

This place is terrible. I wish people could know this before walking by its convenient location. They overprice the items that people might not normally check.

• Visited December 2012