“Very close to Vatican, but dirty rooms and poor housekeeping”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Vatican View

Vatican View
Ranked #34 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
Hong Kong
“Very close to Vatican, but dirty rooms and poor housekeeping”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

I went to Italy in mid May. I wanted to stay close to Vatican as it was a semi-pilgrimage trip for us. At the beginning, I struggled if I should choose Visconti Palace or Vatican View (a proper hotel vs an apartment type hotel). I chose Vatican View at the end after reading good reviews from Tripadvisor.
This is probably the longest review I wrote because I don't think the hotel is as good as what other reviewers commented.
The positives: 1) right next to Vatican 2) Super friendly and helpful staff.
The negatives: I was disappointed with the rooms and housekeeping of the hotel. Vatican View is not really a 4 star hotel. There is no proper entrance and lobby. The check-in was done in a small shop next door. I picked a Suite for the 3 of us because I wanted my parents to be more comfortable in a spacious room, but the room is not really a Suite. It is just a bigger room with a small washroom. The Suite in other hotels in Rome come with a living room + bedroom and a lot bigger. I was not happy with it and discussed with the hotel staff. I was trying to cancel and move to another hotel, but because I had to pay cancellation penalty I decided to stay. It was very nice of them to offer me 2 connecting rooms so I could have my own room. Although more spacious, we found that the rooms were quite dirty. It was dusty everywhere. We tried boiling water with 3 kettles and all of them were filled with dust. The boiled water had strong soapy smell for some reason (the smell of their hand soap....). The smell didn't go away even after 3 boils and we gave up. This is quite disgusting. I saw dirty marks inside the kettle, so I tried cleaning it with one of the towels. It was SO dirty! The towel had big black mark from rubbing the kettle!! I left my dirty towel next to the sink, hoping the housekeeping person would change them. But he didn't. None of the towels were changed during our stay for 4 nights. He just hung them back up the rack. I didn't notice until I used it to dry my hair and saw the black dirty mark from cleaning the kettle. Very disgusting!
The hotel does not offer any breakfast as they don't have any restaurant. This is fine, but for the price we paid (on average more than EUR 350 per night - very expensive), we could have stayed in a proper 4 star hotel at a cheaper price with proper breakfast and clean rooms. We checked the rooms in Visconti Palace and their Junior Suite was huge and beautiful for less than EUR 320 per night with a living room + bedroom.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, especially Fabio and Alessandra. They were trying their best to help, but I understand there is nothing much they could do because it is not really their problem (esp they have already upgraded our rooms). Fabio was sincere and nice to hear my feedback when we checked-out, and I hope they could really look into improving the housekeeping of the hotel. My suggestion is that, if you are just staying for one night and want something very close to Vatican (esp for special events in Vatican), that's fine but watch out for the price.

P.S. The Bar Cafe next to the hotel was really bad. The pizza was basically not edible.

Room Tip: Expensive rooms but dirty and without proper hotel amenities and housekeeping standard
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank lawi
vaticanview, Receptionist at Vatican View, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear Lawi,
I’m really sorry for the inconvenience during your stay and I would like to rectify with an invitation to stay again at our hotel where, personally, I will make sure that everything goes according to your needs.
I'm sure that your next stay will be fantastic!
Please contact me as soon as possible. I care very much!
Alessandra.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brea, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

A small but wonderful hotel that is maybe a 5 minute walk to the Vatican. Very friendly, helpful staff and plenty of small restaurants within a 2 block area. 10 steps out the door and you can have an early morning cappuccino and pastry. Our bathroom was huge, bedroom was small but very comfortable bed and closet space. The patio on the roof was wonderful as the evenings were warm and this was our little escape place for a rest after a busy sightseeing day. Bring a bottle of wine, some amazing Italian bread and cheese and you are in heaven. Loved it!

Room Tip: If you reserve early, ask for a room away from the street. We actually enjoyed the music and just p...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
vaticanview, Receptionist at Vatican View, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Patty,
Thanks for the review.
Relais Vatican View is like good wine .. is located in a small barrel but it is fabulous! We are happy to know that he liked everything! Next time we will give you a bigger room to make your stay even more enjoyable.
Thank you and see you soon.
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

We spent seven nights at the Vatican View this month, along with friends. We arrived tired from a red-eye flight and had no difficulty finding the hotel. Check-in is next door to the hotel,but the great staff, Fabio, Alessandra, Daniel and Francesca keep a sharp eye out arriving guests. Our rooms were all ready for check- in and we were able to throw our bags in our rooms and get to St Peter's Square to see the Pope. Unlike the previous reviewer, we did find some decent restaurants in the area (with a little help from Rick Steves). Our rooms were clean and updated. The elevator is small but we just took turns. The roof garden was great. The staff and location of this hotel are great. We'll return.

Room Tip: We were in 314, whichhas a sofa sleeper if you ate traveling with family.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Kawback,
Thank you for the wonderful review and for your stay.
We are pleased to read these wonderful words about us.
We hope to see you soon because we miss you!
Regarding the elevator .. we will try to improve it! ;)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

This was our first stay in Rome (on our honeymoon). The rooms were new, very roomy and spacious, and the bathroom was superb (rain shower equipped!). The location is a little away from central Rome, but only 10 mins walk from the train station. The downsides are that there is no iron available, they do offer a wash and drying service but only with a dryer (when we asked if they could wash our clothes in the washing machine (which was just next to the room) and leave us to hang them dry in our room rather than shrink in the dryer they said that "it was no possible"). Another downside is that there are not many decent cafes/restaurants nearby. Having said that, our stay was pleasant and we would recommend it for those looking for a short stay away from the hustle and bustle of central Rome.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Staccers,
Thank you for the review, but maybe there was a little misunderstanding.
Our laundry service is available every morning from 9 am onwards. For your safety, we prefer that the washing machine is used only by the maid. Later, we will help others to find all washed and dry in the room during the day. The iron, in Italy, is not allowed in hotels that don't have a room just for laundry .. as in our case.
We apologize for the inconvenience and we hope to see you as soon as possible here to make your next stay memorable from all points of view.
Northamptonshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

Really strange set up. Not really a hotel as such. Reception is in the converted 'shop' next door but nowhere tells you this, there are no signs outside, just a small plaque on the black front door so finding it is a challenge. If you accidently get in through the front door to the rooms (normally kept locked) you have no idea where reception is. The rooms are spread over 4 floors up a spiral staircase. There is a tiny lift which 2 people can get in with little/no luggage otherwise you have to walk. The lift starts on the 1st floor (no good for disabled people). The room was small although it was clean and couldn't be better placed as purely a base to visit the Vatican. The nearest Metro stop is about 5-10 minute walk away. There are limited places to eat nearby. As it is not a hotel, more like converted rooms in an apartment building, there is no restaurant. Breakfast is a pre packaged croissant and a kettle with tea and coffee available (no milk). We went to the cafe next door and had 2 fresh croissants and 2 drinks for 10 euros. We only stayed 1 night so it served a purpose but I would not stay there again. The staff were friendly though.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GSC06
Dear GSC06,
Thank you for your review.
We are apologize to read these words ..
Relais Vatican View is a different hotel .. it is special .. and that's why, every day, millions of people choose us and not a 5 star hotel. Our facility is small, but it is like good wine which is located in small packages, fabulous! The rooms are modern, equipped and clean, the terrace is a dream, the spiral staircase is a small diamond, the reception is warm thanks to our staff.
Nevertheless, we appreciate your advices. We will improve the signs and add the milk to our small but free breakfast kit.
Come back soon to see the improvements.
Regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is literally 100m from the Vatican. We were upgraded to a superior room with a huge bathroom. Couldn't have been better. There is some street noise if you leave your window open. The staff was very friendly and helped anyway they could. If you are debating on whether or not to book this hotel, do it now. You won't regret it! It's only an 10 euro cab ride to colosseum.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank ilovethapope
vaticanview, Receptionist at Vatican View, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Newnew29,

Thank you so much for the review!
We are happy to know that your stay was nice :)
Relais Vatican View is located in a beautiful area where, everyday, there are a lot of people. For escape the street noises, we put the double mirror in all the windwos of the rooms.
We hope to see you again soon!

Have a good day!