“Cold Food, Very Rude Manager”
Review of Doveralu

Doveralu
Reserve with
Doveralu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #779 of 12,875 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Monti
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The Manager showed us to our table and took the drinks order. My daughter ordered a diet cola but he returned with an ordinary cola. We ordered three bruschetta and three main course. The main course arrived before we had been served the anti pasta and the Manager was quick to take the food away. We waited another 15 minutes before the Bruschetta's were served and within another five minutes the main course arrived. The three main courses were cold on the outside and Luke warm on the inside. We called the Manager over to our table and explained that we could not eat the meal as it was not hot. He become very rude and explained that we would have to be charged whether we ate the meal or not. We explained that the food was indelible and therefore, we could not be expected to pay for something we did not want. He said that if we didn't pay then he would have to pay for the meals from his pocket. he said that he could give us three different meals but his rationale didn't make any sense to us and by this time we just wanted to get out of there and settle our bill. The Manager realised that he wasn't going to get anywhere with us so he gave in and got our bill. We ended up going to another restaurant around the corner which was good!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We found this place just around the corner from our hotel in Via Modena, so it was very convenient. We ate our first meal there and went back a second time before we left Rome. Both experiences were just okay. I would describe this place not as a restaurant but a "bar with pub food". When we went back the 2nd time the waiter recognised us and welcomed us back. All of the staff were friendly.

Both times the food we experienced was okay and nothing more, a pizza, a hamburger & fries, lasagna. I had to send the lasagna back because it was cold in the middle. The burger & fries was much the same as anywhere else, and was very filling. The cocktails we had were very nice and we also ordered beer. I don't recall if there was any cover charge but the food was reasonably priced compared to other places. At this place our son found a red wine he was familiar with that he had not seen in any other restaurant and was keen to order it. It looked like they had a decent selection of wines to choose from. I would agree with some other TA comments that there is better food elsewhere. But you should go for the experience any way to form your own opinion.

Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

We stopped at this place after having some great meals in Rome on other days and we were starved, so we just settled on this place (which looks decent on the outside). We should have known by the "American" fare on the menu that it would be bad and it was.

My two friends got the margarita pizza and they couldn't even eat a quarter of it. The tomato sauce, in their words, tasted like Spaghettios. The dough was undercooked and it was just NOT good.

I had the bruschetta, which wasn't awful but still not great, and the proscuitto crepes, which were so loaded with mozzarella it was hard to eat. They again weren't awful but not great either.

The music inside was at lunchtime was club-loud American 80s music (obscure, also). It was distracting and irritating. The cap on this awful meal (and slightly overpriced, also) was when I went downstairs to go to the co-ed bathroom. It was the most DISGUSTING bathroom I have ever been in, period. Worse than a porta potty and I am NOT a picky bathroom-goer. It was covered in toilet paper and other black stuff, which smelled like it could have been the inside of the porta potty. There wasn't any toilet paper actually for use, and there wasn't any soap. It was gross and also in a dark basement, where I went by myself. I know the public restroom situation is different from America, but it was bad.

The only good thing I can say about this place is that the server was okay, fairly friendly, and the cappuccinos were decent. Don't go here! Find somewhere else!

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We ate here several times. The menu is varied, and the staff was the best among all the places we ate. Made for a great experience each time we were there.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Near the end of our meal our server spilled an entire glass of wine on me. We were polite and didn't get upset even though my clothes were ruined. Assuming our meal was paid for via the damaged attire (I was soaked in red wine) we got up to leave. Was then told we had not paid and of course I said I don't expect to pay as my clothes that were ruined cost easily 4x as much as our meal. The owner grabbed me and called the cops. Cops made us pay for our meal in full, even had to pay for the wine that was spilled on me. Awful business owner and just an awful human. Please do not go here.

2  Thank Travis F