“One Of my Worst Meals In Rome”
Review of Marco G

Marco G
Reserve with
Marco G is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #318 of 13,322 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trastevere
Description: Fresh & Simple Italian Food & WineVino e Cucina Italiana Semplice e Fresca
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The seafood app was actually good but there was nothing that they actually prepared themselves including the thinly sliced octopus which I saw in a supermarket the next day ... everything was 'pre-purchased and then nicely presented

The Gnocci stuck to the roof of my mouth and was gummy and not very nice although the sauce was ok... I ate it but was thinking that I have had better.

The meat dish was stuffed with Raddiccio and was inedible and I left it uneaten on my plate... they did not ask how it was and any decent waiter would at least ask if you end up not eating your entire meal. I was with a large group and I did not want to make a fuss but tried to decretely call him over and was ignored

1  Thank CanadianCruiseBooker
marcog90, Proprietario at Marco G, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear Traveler, as you wrote, you were part of a very large group and, of course, there was a fix menu for everybody. I sent the whole a la carte menu with different set menus to organize your party. I was asked if somebody could change the fish dish with a meat one and my answer was yes if informed in advanced. You knew that and, once your fish dish (tuna) was served, you saw somebody eating the meat dish and you did ask to change it. Becouse I just told you that your dish was already cooked according to your previous choice and it was going to be much better if you had informed in advanced (as already agreed), you got disappointed. Now, the point is just respect for who is serving and cooking, respect for the food who was cooked also for you , (I hate to throw away good food when there are people dying of hunger), respect for money (not your money). Of course, from your point of view, it was your worst meal in Rome. The other dishes were all empty (including the meat dish stuffed with radicchio, home made octopus carpaccio, home made marinated salmon, home made gnocchi, and so on). I did personally try to ask you something but, in a few words, no way to talk to you anymore. You were smiling with the lady close by you dealing like if everything was fine when it was not and you were not able to even look at me. No way to do something for you. I was very sorry because what I do for a living is just try to please people. For sure, you were not ignored but you decided to be ignored.
By the way, I received the compliments from the hostess seated next to you, from the travel agency and from some of the guest seated at your same table (they ate the same food as you).
For these reasons, I believe that your bad review is about a personal disappointment wich has nothing to do with the service, food and price (deal with the travel agency; i don’t even know how much the dinner cost to you).
If I may suggest, in the future, in order to avoid similar situations, inform in advance about your preference and I’m sure that, everywere you will be, and I mean even my restaurant, everything will be all right.
Best regards
Marco G

Write a ReviewReviews (2,035)

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We looked for Marco G's after reading the great reviews on TripAdvisor and we are so glad we did. The food was simply delicious, the service was excellent and the ambience was also fantastic. We highly recommend, and we will be back next time in Rome!

4  Thank FrannieO
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We went to Marco G based on recommendations from rave reviews at Trip Advisor and we were not disappointed. Marco, who speaks good English, recommended the dishes which we loved. From presentation, to taste and quantity, the meal was fantastic. Marco even shared some of his recipes with us. It probably is not the rcepie that counts but the chef who prepares the dish. We had a wonderful evening.

Highly recommended

2  Thank EarlDGrt
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Why oh why did we eat a large lunch before dining here? If only we had room to finish our dinner to try dessert. Sweet Marco's recommendations (the mozzarella starter and pasta trio of rigatoni, truffle/sausage-fusilli and pumpkin ravioli) were some of the best dishes we had in Rome. Marco's wine pick was spot-on too. Grateful for all the tripadvisor recs that led us here. We will be back.

2  Thank klhinkle
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was absolutely the best restaurant that we ate at while in Rome. The food was really fresh, classic Italian with a modern twist. The menu is inviting, so much so we ate here twice during our stay, just to try some other dishes. Outstanding dishes were the smoked buffalo mozzarella and the steamed and bbq'd octopus served on a potato and celery mash. The shared platters for two were generous in size. There is an extensive wine list and Marco was most helpful when we were choosing a wine. The staff are friendly, speak English and are obviously very proud of their restaurant. Marco, it is a pleasure to recommend this restaurant.

2  Thank JDandJen

Been to Marco G? Share your experiences!