“SWINDLE - ARNAQUE place to avoid/ à éviter!!!”
Review of Da Giuliana - CLOSED

Da Giuliana
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Prati
Nantes
“SWINDLE - ARNAQUE place to avoid/ à éviter!!!”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We were 5 people and we all choose the 10€ menu which seemed to be fine.....

1. We were received by the blond waitress, and we asked a table for 5. She is probably the manager but she doesn't mind about customers' satisfaction. She just wants them to eat quickly to take their money !

2. She took our order without any smile and proposed brushettas. By the way, brushettas consists of 4 slices of bread with tomatoes and olive and costs only....8EUROS!! She knew that we were 5 adults but we got only 4 slices...

3. Concerning the beer, it was a 33cl can with the mark of the discount store on it (I can't remember the name..of the store)

4. The plates are really small and you are still hungry after it. The taste is not much better and for those who took a "tiramisu" for dessert, it was served with a plastic spoon (as we were childrens)!!! We asked a young waitress for "3 real spoons" and she brought it at least 5 minutes afterwards!

5. The Chinese waiter is not better, as I said, we ordered from the blond waitress first (I think she is doing it only to ask if we want bruschettas and she doesn't mind about the order ). The waiter came to ask us the same thing, we got served 4 plates 15 minutes later.Again 5 minutes later, he asked my dad what his order was...! We answered and 10 minutes later, he got served while we all had finished!

6. Last but not least! On their flyer, it's written " Service and Cover charge INCLUDED". But when they handed the check they charged 7euros for service...(which was pitiful!!!!) !!!
Furious, we went to see a waiter hidden behind the bar and he answered, that it was only "a tip" and that of course we were not obliged to pay for it...! I want to precise that this "tip" was part of the total amount of the check and that if you don't ask, they will not tell you the truth.
They also swindled us by charging an orange juice that we ordered as all "softdrinks" were included in the menu. They charged the orange juice 6 euros for only 20cl! For them, orange juice is not part of the menu, but of course they do not tell it to you when you order!

Beware of that kind of restaurant, there were many tourist guides from the Vatican coming in that "restaurant" with tourists. This should mean nothing but that's a sign that they have agreements with guides to fill their tables. It allows them to sell more [--] to earn more money.

On their flyer, it is written 367489 facebook fans! Thus, I asked them what was there facebook page's name, and they just answered " da giuliana". NO FACEBOOK PAGE exists for this restaurant! That's misleading advertising!

It is the first time I write a review, I am really angry against them. Please DO NOT GO THERE!!!

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank daflop

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
“The worst lunch in my life!”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Never eaten so bad in Italy. We had "10 euro fixed menù". We've chosen carbonara and amatriciana, both very disgusting. The service was not nice and slow. The brand of the beer never seen in our life. We escaped before having dessert, very sorry for people entering this awful place. Inside very kitsch.

4 Thank BettyTheBlade
London, United Kingdom
“Avoid this so called "restaurant" at all costs - All the bad Reviews are true - Scammers .”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Please dont have the experience we had and GO ELSEWHERE to eat. All the other restaurants we went to in Rome were lovely.

I travelled to Rome with my parents for Christmas 2011 for one week. We passed this restaurant many times on route to other eateries but were always put off eating there by the hard sell on the street, and also by the fact that the place was usually empty. The leaflets boasted of an exceptionally cheap "too good to be true" good value menu.

However, this appeared to be the only restaurant that was open on Christmas Eve that was close to us so we were unfortunately compelled to go there for our dinner.

We were seated and handed our menus. We were advised to try the bruschetta by our waitress for our starter. This arrived and was an interpretation of, but not the traditional bruschetta, but it was edible. We then ordered our main meals.

Two things caught my eye whilst we were waiting for our food. Firstly our blonde waitress left the restaurant and lit up a cigarette on the street, and started chatting to a man on a bike in the middle of the road and no waitress replaced her tables so if you needed attention you had to wait for her to finish her cigarette. After about 20/25 minutes we started to wonder what had happened to our order. We had been waiting ages and had only ordered pasta. The second thing, was that the lady beside us pulled a large HAIR OUT OF HER SALAD. After about 25 minutes my and my mother's order arrived. I had ordered Ravioli, and my mother had ordered penne. I was served Tortelloni. I was so hungry that I didnt bother to point out the error however both our meals were stone cold. HARD, COLD PRE-COOKED PASTA. We called the waitress over who didnt understand what we were saying. She was not Italian and didnt understand English or Italian. All the staff were Asian and so was the chef. Eventually someone else came over and snatched the plates away REALLY RUDE. After this we were deliberatly ignored. My father was still waiting for his meal about 45 minutes after ordering. Our plates were returned after 10 minutes but nothing had changed.. I think they had just been left on the counter. Eventually my father's meal arrived and was just about passable.

I left my pasta untouched. The waitress and manager did not utter a word to us when we complained. They acted as though WE WERE INVISIBLE but just handed us the bill. A big shock. The total bill came to just under £100 (we did not order any alcohol or any desserts!) and to add insult to injury a 20% SERVICE CHARGE!. What service?!! Gobsmacked. My father tried to explain again as we were paying that two of the meals were not edible but they didnt want to know, just took the money and didnt say a word but gave a "what do you want us to do about it" look.

Never once did anyone say "sorry"!

As my parents are elderly and because we were in a different county they didnt want to create a fuss and just wanted to leave and I had to respect that. . I have never been so upset and angry after a restaurant experience in my life.

• Visited December 2011
3 Thank EliR44
“HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

If you want to spoil your evening ... This is place to eat!!!

We had the misfortune of eating at thus place ... The service was horrible ... Their was hair in the food ... With no apology or compensation. They even did not get the dish ordered. Please dint ear at this place .

Further they charged for cover charge when the outside clearly said that there would be no charges

7 Thank Mansitripathy
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Not made in China...”
Reviewed December 10, 2011

We went here as we were handed a flyer one night, advertising a special for their 25th anniversary. The special was good except you almost can't help adding on extras like bruschetta (very good) and wine so it didn't end up being all that cheap in the end. It was cheerful and had lots of art on the walls, which I enjoyed. The staff were of southeast Asian extraction rather than native Italians, so we didn't get to practice our Italian, but the tablecloths were made in Italy... not China as my husband expected they would be.

Visited November 2011