“Our home away from home”
Review of Gigli d'Oro Suite

Gigli d'Oro Suite
Ranked #267 of 3,645 Rome B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Our home away from home”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband, 16 year old daughter and I had a memorable 5 night stay at the Gigli d'Oro Suite. It is small, boutique hotel conveniently located just steps away from Piazza Navona, delicious neighbourhood trattorias and boutique shops. The staff is extremely hospitable, knowledgeable and accommodating. The intimate breakfast room is a relaxing place to start the day. It doubles as an open cocktail bar in the early evening complete with snacks and soothing jazz!
We shared a Junior Suite which is perhaps too "initmate" a space for three adults for 5 nights. The
beds and pillows should be upgraded.

Room Tip: Request a room that does not face Via Gigli d'Oro. It can be noisy in the early hours.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
bath
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is a very elegant and relaxing hotel, very well situated just north of Piazza Navona.
Extremely comfortable rooms with beautifully equipped bathrooms. A free laptop and wifi connection is provided in the bedroom! Breakfasts are fresh and more than adequate, and the small breakfast room becomes a bar in the evening dispensing free! prosecco and other drinks.
The staff on the front desk are a delight and could not be more helpful, speaking very good english and happy to arrange trips, taxis or suggest and book excellent restaurants nearby. The pick up service to and from the hotel was efficient and charming and worth every euro.
Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Strongly suspect that all rooms are good, but as in all major cities there is some outside noise at...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed at Gigli d'Oro Suite in October and had a lovely long weekend. We stayed in a Junior Suite Superior and it was much cuter than in the pictures. It was very nice to stay at such a small little hotel in a big city.

The bathroom did not have a bathtub. That sort of upset my husband but I loved the shower. That said a few times we did not get warm water. Very frustrating.

The breakfast was ok. It was a little on the sweet side for me and I felt that it was overall lacking a little. I did order scrambled eggs one morning and they were awful. I would have loved to see some fresh cut fruit and some veggies.

One thing that was very nice is that there is an open bar served until 8 pm. It was very nice to come home after shopping and have a glass of prosecco and a little nibble before unwinding in our room.

Overall the hotel was very personable and cute. I really enjoyed that it was so small. The only 2 things that I was not happy with was the lack of warm water in the shower and I felt the breakfast has room for improvement.

I would stay at Gigli d'Oro Suites again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joanna s
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I am sure this is a lovely hotel to stay in, if everything goes right. But if it goes wrong, don't expect much at all.

On arriving at the hotel, we sat in the lovely little breakfast room and the young lady proceeded to talk to us about "another" hotel in their group. Which sounded so good, I thought I had chosen the wrong one! Then without explaining why, she said we was being moved there.

Obviously we asked "why?" and the reason was "apparently" that there was an issue with the shower in our room and we couldn't stay there. When asked why they didn't tell us about it before we arrived they said because we might have cancelled and would have had to pay the full 100% cancellation fee (charming).

It quickly became apparent that there wasn't an issue in the room and it had been double booked or someone else had it - we know this because we met the couple in it!! And she refused to show it to us "because the work man are at lunch" "there is no bed in the room" and lot's of other reasons. So lies wasn't a good way to start off!

Now if you choose a Boutique Hotel you don't choose the hotel, you choose the room and the room I chose for my girlfriend (it was a surprise trip) was one of their lovely wooden beam / standing bath rooms *(Junior Suite). So being offered another hotel was an annoyance but its ok the "surprise flowers and wine" I had purchased to surprise the girlfriend would be thrown in for free (she declared in front of my girlfiend, oh and declared the cost of the rooms too!).

So anyway, the hotel they tried to send us to was unmanned, with nice enough rooms but quite dark and dingy and the reviews on Trip Advisor say it all - its described as the "rubbish/garbage smelling hotel" several times. Certainly NOT a like for like.

See for yourself: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d2554308-r137226652-San_Carlo_Suite-Rome_Lazio.html

We told the lady the room was "STANDARD" and not boutique like the one we wanted and secondly we just didn't want to stay there. She went into a fit of rage, the law says I need to provide you a room, I will get police... you pay full cancellation fee (100% of the room fee) and find yourself a room! Take it or leave it!! She shouts at us.

It was actually quite amusing how ridiculous the situation was.

So eventually she says she will find us ANOTHER hotel outside her group. Which she did, and the hotel was a nice hotel - but it wasn't the boutique hotel we wanted, it wasn't the surprise I wanted and it wasn't in the location I wanted.

Compensation for this? Maybe a free night at least? NOPE. 10% off and the wine and flowers..... What this lady failed to realise is SERVICE. I didn't choose their hotel because I wanted a room in ROME. I chose it because I wanted that room in Rome, with a surprise gifts for the girlfriend. And telling the girlfriend how much it all cost, that we couldn't have the room and shouting at us for an hour wasn't exactly service.

And palming us off to another hotel (which was nice EVENTUALLY) is all well and good (in her mind I think she thought she was doing us a favour! In fact I know she did, because she told us that!) but we know she was paying that hotel much less than we paid her. It's not about the money, it is about the complete lack of service.

Oh and it get's worse. While in a meeting on Monday I get a demand that if I do not contact her within 2 hours she will get the police on me for not paying the bill. The law is on here side...

OMG!

We had thought they had already taken payment, but turns out they had not and our bank rejected it because of unusual transaction (e.g we was back in UK using card and it was being used in Rome at the same time). I called the bank and they can take payment - let's hope they take the right amount. But I think that e-mail pretty much sums up their attitude.

If things go wrong beware. Like the other reviewer you will end up with something you do NOT want at the same price (or paltry compensation). You will also be lied to, shouted at and treated like crap. Because they know you have no other real choice, you want to get on with your holiday and not mess around with finding another hotel or having her scream and shout at you.

To be fair to the young lady, she did what the law required - found us another hotel room - eventually. If you think that is the service you would expect from a 370 euro hotel, then go for it.

Oh, and it seems her friends pop in to take access of the free drinks / food - so be prepared to be interrupted while you are talking to her.

Darren

P.S Read my other reviews, it is clear I am not a moaner but the SERVICE at this hotel deserves TERRIBLE.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank DarrenNotts
giusy p, Responsabile reception at Gigli d'Oro Suite, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
sorry of what we have done everything possible to make your stay satisfying. newly arrived we explained that there was a problem with the shower, as the staff can testify. below we brought you in another structure of our group offering a beautiful junior suite with Jacuzzi. saw your dissatisfaction we have done to bring you to another hotel of high level on our expenses (with a health club). We gave you a suite far greater than what we had booked and paid homage to you in addition to a bottle of Italian wine and a bouquet of flowers plus we have applied a substantial discount, as you can see in the documentation. the day you leave your credit card did not work and we simply requested by e-mail an alternative form of payment in the following days. since the last time our customers are a great resource and are treated with the best attention . really sorry for what you have expressed in this review and we look forward to having you again of our best guests.
New York
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This is a real hidden gem near the Piazza Navona in Rome. The hotel has spacious, well-appointed rooms with heated bathroom floors and lovely design aesthetics! I made a mistake in my booking and when we arrived, the managers said we were supposed to be there last night. Ugh! I had forgotten the overnight flight- dumb! They had every right to charge us for the mistake, but they didn't! I was shocked. They were LOVELY. Upon arrival, they poured us prosecco and sat down with a map of the city to help us get oriented. Giorgio recommended the best part of town to have dinner where the locals do and it was one of the best parts of our trip! Comfy bed, free wi-fi and the use of the lap-top and nightly open bar in the common room. We loved Gigli D'Oro and the people there! We would absolutely return. Thank you for everything!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel is perfect in every way ! The most convenient location. Lovely, comfortable rooms, nice bathrooms, excellent breakfast and cocktail hour fare, and the staff is exceptional ! If you are lucky enough to score one of the six rooms for your next vacation in Rome then you will be also be smart and very pleased !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth0808
Lisbon
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at the master suite of the San Carlo Suites(town house of Gigli d'Oro on Via del Corso). A large and very confortable suite with AC, large LCD and an electric fire place, very clean, modern and well designed. Everything worked perfectly including free WiFi. They had a fresh breakfast and a free wine and apperitives available in the afternoon. This was our fist stay on an hotel with a virtual reception (LCD with webcam connected to the main Gigli d'Oro hotel), but we have to say that everything was very simple and straight forward. No problem at all with check in and out. As San Carlo Suites has only 3 suites, we almost has the feeling that staff was there only for us, and indeed they were very kind and professional to solve our problems and needs.
Would definitely recomend this hotel for couples on a 3 to 4 days city break in Rome. Very central location and excellent service available, but do not expect a large hotel with a lot of amenities, bars, restaurants, etc... This one only has a small internal room available for breakfast and have a glass of wine in the afternoon, but very nicely decorated and confortable.

The only minus was the fact of our suite is right in front of the virtual reception and sometimes we eard some noise from the webcam and comunications from other guests. Via del Corso is very busy, and although we diid not had problems with noise from the street, if you would like a quiet place to stay we suggest you prefer the Gigli d'Oro main building (near Piazza Navona).

Room Tip: Every suite is different, so verify the specifics on the web site before booking.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple