Review Highlights
Awesome Photo Shoot!

I've done photo tours before, but this was beyond my expectations! Vinicio is very patient... read more

Reviewed September 14, 2016
mifcnm
San Francisco, California
via mobile
See Rome in a new way

Francesco took us on a tour of Rome, but not just some of the well-known landmarks but also, some... read more

Reviewed July 19, 2016
beaker62
Calgary, Canada

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 6, 2013

In my travels through Italy, I did the full day (five hour) tour in Rome-and then repeated the experience in Florence and Venice; and what enjoyable, fun and learning filled experiences they were! I saw these cities in ways that most tourists do not-through the eyes of knowledgeable, and very accommodating experienced professional photographers who were personable, eager to show you their city, and help improve my photographic skills. These tours were customized in advance to my photographic knowledge. I shoot with a full frame Nikon in Aperture or manual mode, and am thoroughly familiar with the equipment. Working with my knowledge base, my "guides"taught me so much about composition, perspective, line, exposure compensation, use of polarizing lenses, and taught me interesting and new shooting angles. The five hours flew by so fast-I could have easily continued on. I am now at home practicing the techniques and skills that I learned on my photo tours in Italy. Thanks so much to my wonderful "guides"- Francesco in Rome, Edoardo in Florence, and Vinicio in Venice-and thanks to Randy Harris' excellent "Rome Photo Tours" for setting this all up.

1  Thank travelernj100
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I was in Rome for a short time. So, I wanted to see as much as possible - and make sure I captured it all in photos. So, I actually took both the night tour as well as the day tour. Both were excellent. The guide not only got me from place to place, but he coached me on lighting and composition to help make sure the photos turned out better than I would have done on my own. It was my first time shooting long-exposure night shots and I learned so much. I highly recommend this tour to anyone.

2  Thank Adamsbits
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The most attractive and historic city I loved the places the food and the shopping every things are amazing and so romantic..I went there three times and I am planning to go again :)

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Really enjoyed this tour! Pat, my guide, was really knowledgeable of both Rome and of photography. As well as learning some new techniques, I also saw a side of Rome that I had failed to see for myself in the days before.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

My evening in Rome started out on Piazza Bologna at a Kosher Sushi Bar called Duruma. It was hot and sticky and a very refreshing Mojito or two prepared me for an evening of photography in Travestere. We drove by car to Piazza Trilussa and got stuck in Roman traffic at 8:30 in the evening! I was late, and Patrizia arrived a little after me on her bicycle. While I waited in the piazza I did not notice any other photographers. It was easy to recognise her when she arrived: she was the only person carrying a tripod in a bag over her shoulder.

Pat is a professional photographer who has been living in Rome for the last five months and has worse in the fashion business in Paris, but is happier doing reportage. I had booked a night shhot with Rome Photo Tours online the week before. After quick introductions we moved off onto Ponte Sisto on the Tiber. There are markets on the banks below the road level with small bright white square marquees set up in rows like some medieval knights congress. There are outdoor cages and bars and even cinemas on the banks of the river and leading onto the Isola Tiberina.

I have not done any serious city night digital photography, and Pat was very helpful in advising settings. We shot a warm sunset over the river with city cupolas in the distance and seagulls dotting the sky. She told me in her listing lispy Spanish accent of one time when she was changing lenses on her camera and her tripod was stolen, so I kept a keen eye on my equipment. It was so hot with a back pack on that I had to wear my bandana at night to prevent the sweat falling in my eyes.

We moved back into Trastevere and set up opposite a bar and did some mood pictures of people sitting at the bar and the interior. I was a bit nervous about shooting without permission but Pat reassured me. We moved into a small intersection on the cobbled streets near Piazza Di Santa Maria in Trastevere and did some great panning shots. By now I was shooting only in black and white and had a lot of fun watching people and trying to capture the mood. We moved into the main piazza but everyone was very still, with the youngsters lounging as if they were on a hot beach, and not on the steps of the fountain. The only people moving were the kids playing its bright blue lights that they launched into the night with catapults.

We moved off to a restaurant with an interesting interior and were taking pictures when an aggressive manager came out and chased us off. Seems he must have had a film star inside or someone who felt guilty because he as having dinner with someone other than his wife. This broke the tone of the shoot for a while until we got onto the Isola Tiberina. This housed outdoor temporary restaurants, cafes, bars, a disco and even a movie house all in the shadow of the ruins of the Ponte Emilio, the remaining arch of an old bridge that has no connection to the banks anymore. Colloquially they call it Il Ponte Rotto, the broken bridge. There were two Geisha dressed Italian beauties with parasols that allowed us to take pictures of them but nothing came out good.

It was a great evening. It was super to have photographic company to empower me to place my tripod and take pictures. Pat was also fun to be with,taking me to spots with good views or angles and we both had fun.

See La Mia Roma Pictures on flickr: http://www.flickr.com//photos/basilartinc/sets/72157630535076346

5  Thank Budgie21