“Excellent Seafood Restaurant but S..L..O..W....... service.”
Review of Assunta Madre

Assunta Madre
Ranked #990 of 12,875 Restaurants in Rome
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Monday evening in Rome and the restaurant we thought we had reservations for was closed (common for Monday's). So we asked our cab driver where he would recommend? He pulled up to the door and asked one of the employees, sure come on in. yeah food!!!
The restaurant is in a perfect central location, close to everything, walk or cab it. When you enter this narrow dark location there are hundreds of photo's of famous people covering the wall. The decor is inviting but there was no one there. Being Canadians I guess we are use to eating earlier (8:30pm) and we weren't sure what was going on.
Well, the large container in the front of the store began to be filled with local fish, anything you can imagine was there and it looked great.
Within 1 hour the restaurant was full even the "back room" where the special guests go.
We ordered a very good bottle of wine but beware the wine is way overpriced. We asked for a bottle of 2007/08 Tiganello (over 100.00 euro) and the server promptly said NO only 2010. When I asked about the quality compared and price, he simply said - same price! OK????
The food was very good and people watching interesting, but when I have to head into the kitchen after an hour to find out where my risotto with porcini mushrooms is I was not so happy.
I think if they know you or a large group the service is probably better, as was the large well dressed group of Italians across from us.
If you have time and really the food is very good then try it out. I would give a total score of 3.9/5.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,473)

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I visited and had mixed experiences. It is important to go before 8.30 otherwise the restaurant will be full and the service slows. We sat outside at the back on both occasions. Very pleasant with predominantly Italian guests but a fair sprinkling of tourists also.
Food was fresh, well done, and good value. Extensive wine list. I found that the main course and desert was plenty for me. Lots of tempting entrees but you may find that you have literally taken on more than you can eat.
Many people in suits and evening clothes, but also smart casual also. Relaxed atmosphere.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

One of the best fresh fish supply. The sole carpaccio is best raw fish meal, what I ever eat. Very good wine list. Good calamary.
Secret offer: lobster in catalan style.
The service was slow a bit.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

You walk in and there are bins of fresh fish on ice in the entryway. It's a "trust your waiter" type of place. The tasting menu, at 30 Euros a person, can be either cooked or raw fish. We chose cooked, and were dazzled with the assortment. Now, a negative. We went there twice and the first time was a Saturday night, the place was packed for our 9:00 resv., and the service was not very attentive. We ordered our own main courses, and it was just too much food after the apetitizer. We didn't like one of our side orders, and hardly touched it. It WAS our choice to order it, but in many places of this caliber it would have been taken off the bill--it wasn't. The 2nd time was a week night at 8:00. Different experience with the service--very attentive, though he restaurant became quite crowded between 8 and 9. We allowed the waiter to bring us the additional courses, and the best was for last - lobster - and by then I could not eat a BITE. Way too much food was brought. Poor judgment on the waiter's part. He should have brought the last course and totally eliminated the middle (pasta) course. So I do agree with andrebezz that they bring too much.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I've been there in july.
The fish is good, nothing to complain.
We had just one big problem, if you don't pay attention, if you trust the waiter, they'll bring you too much, without any kind of good sense. And when we talk about fish in Rome, it could be very dangerous.
After a mountain of raw antipasti (and not "un assaggino") we asked to skip the baked fish
Unfortunately was already in the owen.... It was huge. we didn't finish it.
We did complain 2 times for the bill, they probably made a discount because one of the party, that didn't eat, it was their "friend".
so, fish ok but be very careful. Italy and Rome doesn't deserve this kind of behavior, typical of the worst clichés