“Good but pushy and may be upcharged”
Review of Spinosi

Spinosi
Ranked #10,152 of 12,684 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Vatican / Borgo
Reviewed December 29, 2011

My husband and I ate here after touring thr Vatican. We sat down down and was greeted with water coffee or vino? Natural choice was vino. We were presented a menu when "mama" came by and said pasta? Sure pasta would be great. I think she had made extra and wanted to get rid of it. Bread was placed on the table and we waited. a large group came in of 8 Italians. Mama came out pasta? No pizza and salad. Pasta again she asked? no pizza and salad. Few minutes later a huge plate of salad with a large portion of fresh ,mozzarella came out. No one at the table touched it. There was some bickering back and forth between mama and the party. They eventually got up and left without touching the salad. Guess they couldn't agree on price. Meanwhile our pasta came- which I think was spaghetti alla amatrianna which was delicious and a large portion. We ate and drank and another table had an issue with their bill. Ours came it was 28 euro, charging us 3 euro for the bread. The food was really good but they were pushy.

Reviewed December 9, 2011

hello I went to this restaurant and to be honest in life sometimes it is better to laugh rather making a big drama ( what they deserve).We all know it is a touristic place so it is part of the game to be careful and you know that sometimes you pay more but you can expect a decent lunch or dinner.But this restaurant was one of the worst restaurant i have seen in my like , it was the full package on how to be a bad restaurant if we can still call them a restaurant . Why ?
- Chef coming after 5 mn screaming ´´ pasta , pasta ´´ and did not pay attention of what you really want to order.
- she was really dirty full of food on her , she was a sample of what you will probably eat what is is quite difficult to imagine that she will cook your meal !!
- no taste , pasta overcooked , bad sauce
you can think sometimes that it was a bad choice on the menu but we saw other clients with the smallest pizza in the world so at the end better to pay and leave this hell and thinking than after that you will really appreciate your next dinner ( the others restaurants were very good ).So at the end i would say that it was a nice museum , we paid 12 euros each for the museum of worst restaurant ever where we saw the worst chief ever , the smallest pizza ever , the worst bill ever and the biggest show ever.so sorry i cannot rank even one star because it is definetely not a restaurant.

1  Thank jeremy08014
Reviewed August 17, 2011

We stumbled upon this place after leaving the Vatican and were looking for somewhere a little more quiet. We were greeted by an older man who seemed very polite and welcomed us into the cooler inside.

After having sat and asked for a couple of minutes to look at the menu "mama" started bellowing out questions from the kitchen asking what we would like to eat. At first this kind of amused us as we both put it down passionate Italians.

The food was average, but as we ate it and became aware of our fellow customers we soon saw that everyone had 'discrepancies' with the bill.

The gentleman next to us was the first to fall as they tried to charge him for bread he had not ordered. After a short but loud argument, he walked out. Only paying for what he ordered.

The large group behind us just started laughing as they questioned the bill, but paid it anyway.

When it came to us we were given a total that simply didn't add up. Eventually we got an itemised bill. They added coperto, which we believe is illegal in Lazio. They even had the gall to ask for service instead of coperto. By the end of it we just felt like we'd gone from a quirky family restaurant to being shouted at and harassed. We walked out only paying for the food we had. It could have easily been great.

'Mama' struck me as more of a bully than a chef.

1  Thank theozaurus
Reviewed September 30, 2010

My family and I have a favourite restaurant in Rome, only a few steps away Saint Pietro Cathedral - Spinosi Alberto. It is the well-known among the local people family restaurant. The owners are the middle-age man and his daughter, they are very loud Italians, even a little bit blunt, but their food is very tasty. So their restaurant is always full.
We love it too.

3  Thank Vallly-69
Reviewed September 5, 2010

A bit of history.

My wife and I ate at this restaurant 10 years ago on our last trip to Rome. It was a fantastic meal, priced reasonably for Rome, and we left with great memories.

Fast forward to today. We made a point of going back Spinosi's because we thought we knew what to expect and we had had such a great experience in the past. Although I checked the Tripadvisor reviews (and was alarmed) we went anyways.

The reviews are accurate. No menu was offered, and "Mama" said she would prepare for us Family style.

The food was atrocious. We spent 1 month in Italy and never experienced this terrible food before. It was so bad after the pasta course that we declined the meat, and asked for the bill.

Sure enough, the reviews again are accurate. The bill was infested with extras (bread, water, "special portions". I simply refused to pay, and offered what I thought was fair for the meal (I use the term loosely) or they could call the police.

After a heated argument in front of the other 2 guests that night, they accepted and we left hungry and angry.

Not if it's the last place in Rome.

4  Thank Sp00ner

Been to Spinosi? Share your experiences!