“Don't Miss The Gnocchi or the Suppli if In Rome”
Review of L'Arcangelo

L'Arcangelo
Ranked #2,894 of 12,684 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Prati
Reviewed June 17, 2012

These suppli her cannot even be compared to the ones you eat at the Tavalo Caldo or most other restaurants. Super thin, crispy outside with light rice, meat, and maybe even small pieces of mushroom inside them. They were served with a almond brittle cluster with sardines on top. A delicious start to our meal. Next came the Primi. We had to try the house specialty gnocchi alla matriciana and we threw in a carbonara plates just to compare it to the others we have eaten. The gnochhi just melted in your mouth. I have to admit I have never had anything quite like it-superb. The flavors of the sauce were very mild and secondary to the gnochhi which is the way it should be. The carbonara was very different than we have had, much more creamy, served with very al dente rigatoni. I have to admit I was not that impressed with the carbonara. The Primi came next. We ordered the ox tail in ragu (saltimbocca?) and it was delicious.

This place handled small kids very well. They had a large vase full of small cars and motorini that kept our kids (ages 9 and 3) plenty occupied so we could enjoy the dinner. Just be prepared to pay for a good meal.

1  Thank Dan P

Reviewed February 29, 2012

I'm from Rome and I will suggest you Arcangelo for a tasting of flavor of Rome. Arcangelo is not cheap (50€ average per person) but it can guarantee excellent traditional roman plastes like carbonara or amatriciana.
Arcangelo tries also to combine tradition with gourmet cookery innovation, offering frequently updated menu. The list of wine is also complet and excellent, with reasonable prices. The restaurant is small and nearby the historical downtown of Rome, very well connected by taxi or pubblic trasport. Definetively, Arcangelo is a solution for selected customers. Reservation requested.

2  Thank Em70
Reviewed October 12, 2011

We received fantastic advice to visit L'Arcangelo for lunch on a Thursday, the day when gnocchi is traditionally served in Rome.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by the owner and taken to our table in a delightfully elegant restaurant. The tables in this elegant restaurant are decorated with a few matchbox toy cars.... what's not to love? After selecting wine and playing with our toy cars, we were surprised a fresh and complimentary soup. Following, we enjoyed a nice antipasta and then some of the finest gnocchi in existence. The freshly made pasta was light, airy, with perfect texture. The amitriciana allowed a classicly roman twist on this staple pasta. I also enjoyed the delightful rigatoni alla gricia... a perfect guinciale dish!

Everything was very reasonable.

While fate brought me here on a Thursday, the food will bring me back in the future!

1  Thank JWJ1981
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Recommended by the concierge at our lovely hotel we arrived for lunch to an empty restaurant. The co
Plentary soup was promising but my entree of fetticine with ricotta and sea urchin roe was far too heavy and lacked a subtlety in the flavours. My secondi of cod with peppers arrived on a bed of mashed potato and a poor attempt at ratatouille. This was a most disappointing experience as the hype was convincing.

3  Thank PennyhAustralia
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Our food here was amazing, and the service was top-notch with a personal hello from what seemed like most of the staff. Their food is based on solid italian recipes (pasta alla gricia for example), but presented with a subtle play on the ingredients and presentation.
Would I go there again? Absolutely.

1  Thank Jamie B