“Ok, I have no idea why people love this place so much.”
Review of Palm Gallery Hotel

and 1 more site!
Palm Gallery Hotel
Ranked #20 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
CA
“Ok, I have no idea why people love this place so much.”
Reviewed July 26, 2011

The staff was amazing here, I admit that. They helped us do "Rome in a day", which is all we had, and gave us 1-day unlimited ride (4 euro) metro passes, which everyone visiting Rome should get. You have to leave your room key in the lobby, which I hate to do. It did not seem to be closely monitored. The hotel is in the middle of a residential area and is not close to the subway at all. Take the bus or use the hotel's transportation. The hotel was very expensive for its location, along with the transportation it offered. It took us hours to get to the hotel from the Fiumicino airport and luckily two Roman gentlemen GPS'd it for us on their smartphones. Otherwise, we would have never found it. This was the most frustrated I had been on our 6-country trip, and I even had multiple directions. Here's a tip: Stay at the Hilton Rome Fiumicino Airport hotel that offers a free shuttle into Rome (which will save you 30 euros per person round trip, and a whole lot of time on public transportation). Also, this hotel was more expensive than the Hilton Rome Airport when we stayed at it. I was so frustrated about its location, that it overshadowed the service.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank sedillo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Ripon, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2011

For the discerning traveller...
A very special little hotel just outside the city centre in a lovely residential area, which is safe and quiet. We stayed four nights and loved every minute. Luisa and her staff are like a family, and treat guests like family too.
We were a party of five, two mums and three grown-up daughters. Our rooms were beautifully decorated, spotlessly clean, and very quiet.
The hotel is a lovely old building with a big shady terrace. Just the place for a drink after a hard day's sightseeing. Luisa provides maps and advice for almost everything - trips to the Vatican/Colosseum/shopping. She can give you bus tickets too, and we were walked to the bus stop on day one, to ensure we got the right bus.
Useful tip: eat locally, not in the city centre. We used Luisa's map for local restaurants, all of which are about five minutes walk from the hotel. We found ourselves in properly Italian restaurants, eating the most exquisite food. Not pricey either.
Other useful tip: we wished we'd the Palm Gallery airport pick up... we got horribly ripped off by the taxi drivers at the Termini Station.
Rome is full on in July, so this hotel was the perfect sanctuary at the end of a hot, busy day.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
northern California
Reviewed July 22, 2011

We stayed here for 4 days and can't say enough about the wonderful support of the whole staff - Luisa, Vincenzo, Daniel and the others you can tell they enjoy working together. Vincenzo helped my daughter and I navigate the language barriers in the restuarants by writing down in Italian the words I needed to inquire about gluten-free options!! He even had me practice the sentences to perfection! This made our searches for dinner sooo much easier! Can't say thank you enough Vincenzo. Luisa's advice for the buses was spot on and she was quick to met us at the train station when we first arrived. She had such a joyful spirit, that must be what got her through the broken toes she suffered out last day there!! Breakfasts were wonderful, and once again Vincenzo found some gluten-free options for my daughter and I to enjoy! The eggs were great as was the coffee! Rome was steamy,but it was nice to return to the quiet and cool rooms at Palm Gallery. Our room was clean and a tight squeeze for the 5 of us,but it worked just fine. After a long day of walking through Rome, we looked forward to their comfortable beds for a good night rest. I'd definitely return here, perhaps during a cooler time when we could enjoy sitting outside for breakfast and enjoy some wine at the end of the day outside as well....I failed to mention how nice it was to arrive and be greeted with drinks, on one of their lovely patios, on the house! They took care of our laundery for only 5euros a load and Daniel gave us an entertaining ride to the airport! We were there in 45 minutes, just like Luisa said. So glad we didn't try to navigate that trip with public transport. Hope to see everyone there again, soon!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2011

This is a great hotel. All the staff, especially its owner Louisa, are fantastic. Best hotel service in Europe in my travels in 15 years. Due to our late booking (i.e. our fault, not their's) we stayed in three rooms - all were fantastic. Gardens and flowers were gorgeous, rooms clean and lovely. Breakfast and drinks all fab. Have already made plans to go back with friends.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank womantravelling
Key Biscayne, Florida
Reviewed July 17, 2011

A lovely spot for a few summer days in Roma with two children. Escape the noise and bustle & enjoy the unique hospitality - Luisa, Stefano, Vincenzo & the whole staff. It is an elegant building in a nice tranquil area, close enough to everything but so nice to enjoy a little quiet and relaxation as well.

The room was excellent: elegant and spacious with two windows, air and nice bathroom. Breakfast in the morning in the garden area, and we had pizza outside in the garden at night with a great local beer. Enjoy the lovely breakfast outside beneath the large sun umbrellas. Two good internet access points to have connectivity on any floor. A small room filled with magazines, and comfortable inside easting area and television. They make you feel comfortable, at home, and the kids enjoyed it. I feel lucky to have found this spot and will enjoy returning.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank ParisAtlas
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2011

I cannot say enough about this hotel and all that work there. I would love to revisit Rome just so that I could stay here again. All of my trip stories to family and friends have included stories about my time at the Palm Gallery. The rooms were very tidy and very comfortable. The patio was relaxing with drinks, food and lots of conversation with other guests and staff. Lorenzo went out of his way to research Maria Montesssori for me when I asked about the location of the first Montessori school. He went above and beyond. He also makes a great cocktail!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2011

In June, I took a trip to Rome with my 3 best friends. We saw numerous attractions (the Colosseum, Roman Forum, Pantheon, Sistine Chapel, Trevi Fountain, etc.), but when asked about my trip, the one thing that I cannot stop talking about is the Palm Gallery Hotel. From start to finish, this place does it right.
When I wrote to Luisa, the hotel's owner, back in December to inquire about rates and availability, she sent me not only a description of each room option, but also a synopsis of the hotel's neighbourhood, options for pick up at either the airport or train station, and a link to a website showing bus routes to points of interest.
The fabulous service continued throughout our stay. Luisa has put together a great staff in Daniel, Lorenzo, Vincenzo, Farukh and others. They are all friendly, personable and outgoing, and honestly, cannot do enough for you. These guys really go over and above in terms of service, hunting down English-language newspapers for guests, making restaurant recommendations, playing host, bartender, concierge and chauffeur all in one. They make staying here really feel like home.
The rooms at the Palm Gallery are lovely too. Very clean, nicely appointed and with very comfortable beds (which for Europe, can be a stretch). I loved the hotel's location; residential but well within striking distance of all major attractions either on foot (Borghese Gallery), by bus (Pantheon, Vatican) or metro (Colosseum is only 4 stops away).
Do yourselves a favour and stay at this hotel. After a long, hot day of sightseeing, you will love relaxing on the front deck with a beer or a glass of Friuli, a bowl full of olives and caper berries and great conversation and laughs with the staff and fellow travellers.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends