“"Bravo"”

GreenLeadersGold level
Miami, Florida
“"Bravo"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I had a wonderful time in Rome, and Domus Valeria B&B hospitality made everything just perfect! The apartment is very beautifully decorated with antiques, my bedroom was large and cleaned daily, the bathrooms have been renovated, Breakfast is served daily on the beautiful quiet and serene terrace. The terrace is the bonus !! It is ideally located by Piazza di Spanga, restaurants, high end boutiques such as Chanel, Gucci, Padra and the Metro Station all within just 2-minute walking distance. the hosts are amazing and always ready to help you with everything. I definitely recommend this accommodation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank joemartinezmia
Marco Valerio A, Owner at Domus Valeria, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Joe,

thank you so much for your nice words and thank you again for the beautiful hydrangea that you gave to me before your departure! I found the right place on our terrace and she is growing and growing.

Hope to see you once again in the next future,

all the best from me and also from Erick.

Marco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

What a pleasure it was to have stayed here in April 2013. So centrally located - Great rooms in a beautiful apartment and fantastic (very generous) breakfasts on the beautiful roof terrace. Marco is the perfect host - and is also the font of all knowledge regarding anything you need to know about Rome. We will be back!!! Stewart and Tony x

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

My Mum and I wanted to spend a few days Xmas shopping together and thought that Rome would be the perfect destination. I have been a few times before but my Mum had never been and so I wanted to make the trip memorable.

Our choice of the Domus Valeria was perfect. Location wise, you can't really get much better. The door into the apartment building is right next door to Chanel on one of the main arteries of Rome and just round the corner from the shopping streets. Just a few steps from Piazza Di Spagna, which has a metro station, perfect for the trip to and from the airport via Termini.

The building itself is old world, full of marble and fantastic old lift with a cage and everything! Once you go upstairs, the hustle and bustle of the streets are left behind, you cannot hear any of the street noise.

Rome is great for walking around and from the Domus Valeria you could reach pretty much anywhere - Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Piazza Del Poplo. We even walked to the Vatican which is a fair trek over the Tiber but easily accessible via the Metro line for those who didn't fancy the walk.

Some great bars and restaurants nearby. Our favourite was Antica Enoteca on Villa Del Croce, which is just round the corner. Great food and wonderful wine, but a bit pricey but then what can you expect from the centre of Rome.

The B&B itself is made by the owner, Marco. He is the most helpful, most friendly guy you will ever meet. Makes you feel as though you have gone to stay with a friend for a few days, not just checked into a hotel.

The apartment is his home and he lets out two rooms, maybe more in the Summer when he stays in a small room in his roof top garden area. The kitchen and bathroom are shared but when we were there we were the only guests so we had it to ourselves. Breakfast was made to order and was varied.

No central heating so the place was cold. We had to ask for a heater for our room for when we were getting dressed and coming out of the shower but was manageable. In the Summer however I can imagine the coolness being the perfect respite from the city in the heat.

The apartment has a roof terrace that is fab, we went up one evening for a beer and chat with Marco but it was too cold to stay out long. Again in the Summer this will be amazing for sipping wine under the stars.

After having stayed here, I don't think I would want to stay anywhere else in Rome - was like a home from home.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank R4chyroo
Marco Valerio A, Owner at Domus Valeria, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Thank you very much for the nice review!

I also have to thank you for your recommendation about the heating. Having central heating is planned, but I do not think it will be possible before the next two years.

For now, in combination with the independent ac/heat generators in each room, for the coming winter I will put a heater in the bathroom and I am sure that it can be a good solution, however temporary.

I'm glad I got in our apartment you and your mom, hope to see you soon.

Hugs from Rome!

Marco V.
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

From the moment of our initial internet booking until we made our departure after two weeks in Rome, we experienced warm personal hospitality, helpful and accurate travel advice, genuine friendship, individualized breakfasts designed around our wishes, and a fantastic degree of openness and comfort that let us feel at home in the heart of Rome. Located in the elegant Spanish Steps area, Domus Valeria is tastefully furnished with antiques that spoke of Marco's interests and his family history, provides a great setting for a welcoming host who became a friend and offers accommodation that is comfortable, central, quiet, and attractive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank urbotourist
Marco Valerio A, Proprietario at Domus Valeria, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice review.

Hope to see you soon in Rome or in Canada.

A big hug from Rome

Marco V.
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Let's get one thing straight: I'm very particular about the way I travel. I have a strong distaste for the two-a-penny anonymous hotels you find littered across most large cities, and will therefore spend a long time researching the perfect independent place to stay. And I've been lucky; I've stayed in some pretty special places. So the bar is now set extremely high. But Marco, and his wonderful Domus Valeria, have no need to worry; they didn't just reach my demanding expectations, they exceeded them.

I booked my room back in the coldest part of winter, while in bed with the flu. Within the hour I received the most delightful and comforting email welcoming me to Rome and giving me all sorts of helpful tips and suggestions. And throughout my stay Marco's hospitality was almost faultless - nothing was too much trouble. The only criticism I can think of is the fact he simply would not let me leave him a tip. "I do it because I love to" was his smiling and authentic reply.

I had initially booked the single room, but Marco upgraded me to one of the doubles at no extra cost. My room was next to the bathroom, and I never had any difficulties accessing it when I needed it. The bathrobe and slippers Marco provides made the short trip from my room even more comfortable.

The B&B is located a mere 200 yards from the Spanish Steps and Spagna metro stop, and is within easy walking distance of all the city's main sights. But fear not, it is perfectly quiet: the only thing likely to rouse you from sleep is the sound of church bells and the view of the Villa Medici at your window. The apartment is decorated with exquisite attention to detail (ask Marco about the antique Tuscan beds in the red room!) and there is a fabulous roof terrace which is used for breakfasts on warm days.

Which reminds me - the breakfasts are fabulous. The food (I don't like to think how many cream-filled pastries and coffees I got through) and Marco's informative and witty company at the table, will start each of your precious days in Rome exactly as they should (though they do make it kind of hard to leave!)

Of course there were lots of pretty staggering things about Rome that made me feel really quite emotional, but I count my stay at Domus Valeria as one of those experiences. I certainly had a lump in my throat as I hugged Marco goodbye outside the building's beautiful old iron lift. But I will definitely be back, and I can't think of a better commendation than that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank RuthThePoet
Marco Valerio A, Proprietario at Domus Valeria, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you very much for your wonderful review.

And as I have already said, It was a pleasure for me to be your host!

The best thing about this work is certainly in the opportunity to meet some nice people like you!

I look forward to see you.

All the best and keep safe!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at Domus Valeria for 2 nights at the end of January 2013. Prior to my arrival Marco (the owner) booked a car for me at the airport and then monitored my plane's ETA, so the car would be there at the appropriate time - which it was. He also quickly responded to my emails - prior to my arrival.

The B&B's location is perfect - literally next to the Spanish Step and in a very good shopping district. The B&B is nicely decorated, extremely clean, and very quiet. The bed was comfortable and the linens and towels were freshly laundered and of a good standard. The Wi-Fi signal was strong and consistent. I can't comment on breakfast - as I don't eat it, but the coffee was outstanding!

Marco makes you feel at home from the minute you arrive, and he is an expert on what to do in the city and how to get there.

The only thing I would have done different - is stayed longer!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank CityBreakGuy
Marco Valerio A, Owner at Domus Valeria, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Guys,

thank youso much for your lovely review! I hope to assist you once again in the next near future.

I wish you all the best,

hugs from Rome

Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed at Domus Valeria Bed & Breakfast during our visit in Rome in September 2012. We were extremely pleased with our decision. Marco, the owner, was extremely friendly and helpful whenever we needed little things here and there. No matter what time we needed advice, he was willing to make our trip easy. His suggestions about places to go and eat were great. He also helped us book a few places where we could not communicate in Italian (including an early cab pickup to the airport in the rain). With his effort to make the stay enjoyable, we will definitely return to stay at the same place when we go back to Rome.

The room was comfortable and clean. Each room has an AC. His hospitality really made us feel like home. Sharing the bathroom was never an issue for us. The wifi password was provided free of charge. The breakfast was provided on the rooftop every morning. The place about a block from the Spanish Steps (and the subway). We cannot say enough great things about this place.

Room Tip: Discuss this with Marco. I basically think all the rooms are the same (quiet because they are on th...