“Couldn't ask for a better B&B”
Review of Domus Valeria

Domus Valeria
Ranked #552 of 3,712 Rome B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Everything about my stay at Domus Valeria was perfect.

Location: Fifty steps from the Spanish Steps on the northern part of Rome. Near restaurants, shops, and everything you could want or need. It was easy to walk anywhere I needed to go, even as far at the Colosseum, which took about 20-25 minutes. Buses and taxis are right outside the door if you are not the walking type, and the Metro is 2 minutes away.

Marco the owner: He made me feel like I was home. This is his apartment with 4 bedrooms and the kitchen and dining area were open for me to use. I never felt like I was intruding. Marco was always available whenever I needed him, served a delightful, wholesome breakfast on the gorgeous roof deck, gave great recommendations, chatted about anything, and spoke English very well. He felt like a friend.

Facilities: The room was charming and spacious with a lovely view of the quiet, quaint surrounding apartments. The shared bathroom, which was actually no trouble at all sharing, was spotless. There is a young man who cleans thoroughly everyday and is super sweet. The decor makes you feel like you are truly in Rome. Marco has good taste for decorating. The refrigerator is big; you can put leftovers in there. If you wanted to cook, open a bottle of wine, or cut up some cheese, Marco has what you would need to do so and it's no trouble at all. Also, access to the roof deck is worth every penny of your money spent here. It was beautiful, spacious, and comfortable with couches to lounge on, tables to sit at, and cover from the sun if needed. Lastly, the Internet access was fast and free. Huge plus.

Food: Like I said, breakfast was fantastic. Marco actually waits on you, providing you with a generous spread of toast, pastry, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, fruit, jams, juice, coffee, tea, and more. He even leaves out a pastry in case you get hungry after breakfast hours (or you slept through them).

Atmosphere: Domus Valeria is gay friendly, which gives it a warm, welcoming feel to it. Even though I was straight, I felt completely welcomed and comfortable. Marco goes out of his way to make you feel like you belong here. Even if you are a straight couple or you're traveling solo, don't pass up the opportunity to stay here just because you think Domus Valeria is gay-only. It's not that way at all. I met a couple of gay travelers during my stay and they were so friendly and personable yet unobtrusive. I think the atmosphere of Domus Valeria attracts really good people.

Overall, I would very highly recommend Domus Valeria. I loved my stay there, it was affordable, and Marco's service was fantastic. He sure raises the bar for all bed & breakfast accommodations. I can't imagine finding another B&B to match!

Meri

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Marco Valerio A, Proprietario at Domus Valeria, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Many thanks for the nice review.

I was happy to be your host and I hope to see you once again in the future!

I wish you all the best of luck for your future projects.

Marco V.

There are newer reviews for Domus Valeria

Reviewed June 22, 2012

The only address in Rome! Everything is perfect from start to finish. Marco is a great host. My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights and we had an iincredible experience. This is our first stay in a B&b and we were dlighted. I have to say that we are very picky and hard to please but there are no faux pas here. Thanks for everyhing Marco.

Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Thank you so much for your words. I hope to see you in the next near future.

All the best

Marco V.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

This was my second stay at Domus Valeria and this beautiful B&B in the heart of Rome is fast becoming my primary reason to visit Rome in itself! Marco is the most wonderful host, making you feel right at home, and the rooms are beautifully decorated, very elegant, and exceptionally quiet considering the building is feet away from the Spanish Steps. Once again I cannot speak highly enough of this pearl of a B&B - I cannot wait to be back!
Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Selene80
Marco Valerio A, Proprietario at Domus Valeria, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

And I am always happy to have you here!

I wish you all the best and, again, thank you for your kind words.

Stay in touch, a big hug from Rome

Reviewed June 9, 2012

Best bread and breakfast we have encountered. Our host was incredibly helpful and personable.

The terrace top has the most peaceful and typically Roman setting. Could have stayed there forever but too much to see in Rome.

Huge comfortable bed and access to two bathrooms, fridge and coffee machine, etc. Felt like a comtesse for the time we were there.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Marco Valerio A, Proprietario at Domus Valeria, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2012

Many thanks for the nice review.

I am happy to know that you were good in my house.

Hope to see you again, maybe in Canada nex time!

Reviewed June 9, 2012

We had six nights with Marco at this great B&B near the Spanish Steps. The location was perfect for walking to most of the major attractions and only a couple of minutes from the metro. Marco is a wonderful host - always there to help and he gave excellent advise on where to eat. The rooftop terrace was a lovely quiet escape from the madness on the streets and a perfect start to the day for breakfast. The shared bathroom was never a problem as there are only three rooms and we always felt at home in the apartment with fresh fruit, great coffee and tart always available and very welcome on our return in the afternoon before going out to dinner. This is a unique experience in Rome and should not be missed. Our stay will be long remembered.

1  Thank Akurafarm

Thanks for the nice review!

I was glad to had the chance to meet you.

I hope to see you once againg in the near future, why not .. in Australia!

Reviewed June 5, 2012

My 3 friends and I rented the Domus Valeria Apartment for three nights. In addition to our charming host, Marco, the apartment was very comfortable and affordable. It was perfect to be able to rent whole apartment - we had 3 rooms for 4 people and shared a bath and a half bath. Two of the rooms had double beds, seating areas and armoires and the third room was a cozy, smaller space with a single bed, armoire, and small desk & chair. Our rooms were tidied and beds made daily by Martin, the all-around handyman and house cleaner - so nice! We also loved the 2 coffee machines and round-the-clock pastries that were in addition to a fantastic breakfast (served on the beautiful rooftop terrace!). We did not make use of the kitchen, but easily could have brought home ingredients to cook or take out to eat and save in the refrigerator. Marco made it very clear at the beginning that the entire space and anything in it was available for our use. I highly recommend Domus Valeria!

I can also highly recommend Ristorante Il Gabriello around the corner from Domus Valeria. Make sure and ask for “Claudio’s Extravaganza”. It is not on the menu, and is a several course meal chosen by the chef and brought to you with fantastic service (price includes dessert, but not wine). Marco is very helpful in making dinner recommendations and reservations!

NOTE on ATM use: I arranged with my bank ahead of time for a larger than usual daily ATM withdrawal. Then, by using Deutsche Bank ATMs in Italy, I was able to withdraw 700 euros at a time, rather than the usual 200-250 at other banks. I highly recommend Deutsche Bank!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mary Beth Y
Marco Valerio A, Proprietario at Domus Valeria, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2012

Thanks for the nice review.

I'd love also to stay in touch, and hopefuly see you once again in the near future, in Italy or in the U.S..

A big hug

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Near the Spanish Steps, but away from the hordes of tourists. The immediate area is bustling during the day and more low-key with strolling locals at night, but at all times, our apartment itself was quiet and restful. The apartment is on the top floor (4 flights up, elevator available) of a centuries-old residence, with lots of old-Italy charm and coziness. Marco, our host, was incredibly gracious, witty, and accommodating, and capable of walking a fine line between being available for questions and requests but providing ample privacy and personal space. His warmth is actually what made our stay memorable, and he was always ready when asked for a recommendation for dining and destinations, or for an offer to call for a reservation. The way Marco put on a rooftop-terrace breakfast made for a wonderful way to wake up every morning! I will be booking at Domus Valeria the next time I’m in Rome.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Thanks for the nice review. It 's been a pleasure to have met you and your friends. I wish you all the best of luck!

I'd love also to stay in touch with you, and maybe see you again in the near future, in Italy or in the U.S.. A big hug Marco