“Piazza del Popolo / Spanish Steps”
Review of Babuino 181

Babuino 181
Ranked #30 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Terrific find! Via del Babuino is a great location - near the Piazza del Popolo, the Spanish Steps, great shopping and restaurants. Evening drinks on the rooftop terrace were great! The staff was excellent - very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gregory D
There are newer reviews for Babuino 181

Reviewed December 4, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hotel Babuino 181, it's a quaint hotel in a fabulous location. The staff are very friendly and helpful, they gave us suggestions most nights for restaurants and we were never disappointed.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Fantastic find - great location - you really wouldn't want to stay anywhere else once you have stayed here. It is on a lovely street that leads you down to the Spanish Steps and is very close to all the amazing shopping streets with lovely little cafes and restaurants on. The room was excellent, it had everything you needed, the staff were very friendly and helpful - they recommended a great restaurant close by and we ended up going there twice it was so good. So many nice touches to this hotel, the complimentary drinks on the roof terrace every evening were super and the constant clean towels that appeared in our room whenever we left it.

I love Rome and cannot wait to go back and I now don't want to try any place else to stay. It is like having your own apartment in Rome. Highly recommend!

3  Thank SB5
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This stylish hotel is in a good location, with helpful and friendly staff (who spoke excellent English). The room (deluxe) was spacious and clean, with fresh pillowcases every night, which was a nice touch. Complimentary bottled water provided also. Didn't have breakfast, but the roof terrace looked very pretty. The only minor complaint is occasional street noise in the middle of the night (voices) - if you are a light sleeper, take earplugs - which will easily then block this out. Would stay here again.

3  Thank pebble082
Reviewed November 16, 2012

The location is nice, near Spanish steps, and the staff were the highlight......very good.

But we booked two deluxe king rooms which they tried to get 460 euros each for directly, but through a discount site we got for 280 euros, and it wasn't high season. For the rooms we got , which were very disappointing .....this is too much.
Also the noise was terrible from the street, even though it had double glazing. It made no difference, so expect a broken nights sleep.

For a reasonably new establishment well recommended, the rooms were shabby and needed a paint, and the showers had grout off everywhere.
Go elsewhere for this price.

1  Thank Tooraktraveller
assemh, Owner at Babuino 181, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear Mr Toorak,

I wanted to thank you for writing a review on our boutique hotel Babuino 181.

I was very glad to see that you enjoyed our Spanish Steps location and that you thought our staff was very helpful.

I want to point out that the higher rate you found on our web site was for a deluxe suite while your booking was for a double room. We don't use discount sites and we operate on a "rate parity" basis on all e-channels.

I apologize that your room was not in a perfect form. The problem you experienced came from an unfortunate leak in the shower which has now been repaired.

If you plan to come back to Rome please contact me directly and I will make sure that you will experience Babuino 181 at its best!

Alberto Moncada

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I go to Rome once a year and it is an endless hotel hunt for me. This was a real surprise. It's a great location- central to everything but far enough away from the crowds of the Spanish Steps which feels claustrophobic to me. The front desk staff is helpful and efficient. Our room was great- it had a living room eating area, large bedroom, large bathroom, a powder room and a covered balcony. It is a little loud at night because of the outdoor restaurant next to the hotel but it didn't keep me up at night. They have an espresso machine in the room that I didn't know I would enjoy so much. Before dinner, you can go to the rooftop and they put drinks out and you can serve yourself. Everything was clean and for Rome, it was a really good sized room. It's a very laid back hotel so it's perfect if you know what you are doing in Rome. I really enjoyed my stay at Babuino 181.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jandrews
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The hotel is in a wonderful location, the rooms are modern and very clean. The breakfast could be better; can you imagine a Hotel in Italy with no fresh bread in the breakfast? The staff was not helpful . I had a problem in the bathroom, it was impossible to have a shower without flooding the room. I've asked the staff to solve my problem (not once, but three times!!) and they did absolutely nothing, this is unacceptable in a hotel like this...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
assemh, Proprietario at Babuino 181, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear Claudia,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at Babuino 181. We were very disappointed to hear that you experienced a problem during your stay at our hotel and I want to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. As you know, there was a small leak at the base of your shower and we could not get it properly repaired during your stay. Because we were fully booked, we were unable to move you to another room, but I have spoken to the staff about what could have been done to alleviate your concern. We pride ourselves in the responsiveness of our staff so I am very sorry to hear they did not properly communicate to you about the timing of this repair. I am glad you enjoyed our contemporary rooms and location in the center of Rome. Please accept my apologies and feel free to contact me directly if you are traveling to Rome again so that I may personally take care of you on your next stay.

Alberto Moncada