1,089 results
All reviewsspanish stepsclassic suiteboutique hotelgreat locationnespresso machinerooftop terracepiazza del popolode russiedeluxe roommain buildingheart of romewithin walking distancerooms are largevilla borghesebreakfast areaspecial thankssister hotel
Reviewed March 18, 2012

La Babuino sits almost at the end of Via Babuino, just minutes from the Spanish Steps and the best shopping and restuarants in Rome. Guests at this lovely, small (14 rooms) hotel can easily walk to everything from the Vatican (about 30 minutes on foot), to the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon and the Coliseum (5 to 15 minutes). If a longer trip is planned the hotel can arrange for a car or you can stroll down the block to the Plaza del Popolo and pick up a taxi.

The hotel itself has a tiny, unmarked entrance that is identified by its address--"181"--above the door. There is no lobby to speak of but there is a lovely, comfortable lounge on the first floor that is stocked with water, newspapers in several languages, and a Nespresso machine. This is where my husband, who rises earlier than I do, went to read and sip a coffee in the morning and where we met our children for breakfast each day. The rooms are large and comfortable and are decorated in nuetral shades, with interesting pieces and fabrics. Each has a mini-fridge, selection of snacks and a Nespresso maker. The dressers, a room safe, shelves and space for hanging clothes are surrounded by floor to ceiling mirrors and hidden behind the bed. All the lighting can be controlled from the comfort of the bed which, at the end of a long day, is a welcome touch! The bathroom is large, well-lit and has both a soaking tub and a shower--it also has windows and natural light!

Breakfast is served in your room or in the lounge and can be ordered just 10 minutes before you want to eat. There are some ala carte items and some pre-set breakfasts like the "American" and the "Diet". The American comes with coffee, freshly-squeezed juice, yogurt, breads, meats and cheeses and the diet has juice, fruit salad, yogurt, cereal and toasts and cheese. The food is plentiful and good though the selections do not change from day to day.

The hotel's staff was friendly and professional but the standout was a young woman who is pursuing a degree in hotel management and was there as part of an internship. This young woman was a gem--the kind of person who makes you remember a place warmly and want to return!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank lsnyder813
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Our first time in Rome and where to stay? After a great deal of research I took the plunge and book Babuino 181 because it looked well located and good value for money and, of course, it has been well reviewed on here! I am pleased to say that it was a good decision. As other reviewers have said this is not a 'full service' hotel simply an elegant selection of rooms and suites conveniently situated on a high end shopping street between two metro stations (Flaminio and Spagna) and 50 yards from a taxi rank. We were well greeted on arrival and shown to our room. A good sized deluxe room with a well appointed bathroom that had a big deep bath and boy, was I pleased to sink into that bath after a hard day pounding the pavements of Rome! My only word of caution is that the bath is quite low down and the door to the shower very narrow so if you are someone on the larger side you may find using these facilities a little difficult. The toiletries provided are good quality and plentiful with lovely big bars of soap not the slivers that are the norm in most hotels.
The front of house staff were very helpful. They recommended Edy's a very local trattoria for our evening meal. I am pleased to say it was only five minute walk for my tired legs and we enjoyed a fairly simple but pleasant enough meal that was reasonably priced.
Breakfast was included in our room rate. It came on a tray to our room. We ordered the 'healthy' breakfast and the 'continental' breakfast and it was more than enough for us. We had fabulous fresh orange juice, fresh fruit and cereal as well as a good selection of pastries and coffee. All in all we had a very comfortable stay. On our last day they looked after our luggage and we were able to take advantage of coffee and biscuits in their small first floor lounge whilst we freshened up for our journey home. Thank you Babuino 181 we will be back!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Luxuryhound
Reviewed March 6, 2012

What a gem of a place. We had a deluxe suite 50 sq meters. I think this was one of the best rooms from my travels in Europe. Here is why

1. Excellent bathroom- two sinks - a great tub (yes I used it) and a spacious shower cubicle. The WC area is not cramped behind a door as one often sees in Europe. Better than the pics on the website show you. Airy and spacious and the styling is really excellent - contemporary chic, earthy colors - lovely mosaic on the wall. Great toilet amenities and enough robes/towels - (the weighing scale was innacurate though !)

2. Spacious and comfortable room - very cleverly designed. Enough wardrobe space - including hanging space and drawers. And great place for keeping your suitcases (we had 2 large ones and one small) - not the clumsy racks you get at most hotels. Overall for the comfort, elegance, space and design - I would give this room 10/10

3. Location - right next to Piazza Del Poppolo is wonderful. So many bars, restaurants, shops around that you will never miss the common areas which a more traditional hotel has, but this does not (It does have one nice room one can use if one wishes)

4. Front Desk Staff: They were friendly and efficient and more than willing to help. They arranged 2 lovely tours for us on short notice (Vatican and Ancient Rome). And also made restaurant recomendations and reservations. The drop off to the airport - S class merceded for 60 Euros is also a lovely idea. In fact they had been in touch with us immediately after we had booked and were very helpful and responsive.

5. Breakfast in bed - thats great - i love it. why would you want to go down for breakfast when you can get it in bed. Having said that the breakfast selection is limited. Also a wonderful surprise - our minibar was included in our rate - we didn't pay for our water and cookies/chips

A word of clarification: As you would have seen in the other reviews this is not a classic hotel with a big lobby or tons of staff to fuss over you. The space is top class - stylish and better than what you would see at the top hotels. But there are no substantial common areas. I was apprehensive about this but after having stayed there I can say with confidence that given the location and all it has to offer as soon as you walk out the door - I don't think anyone would miss these common areas.

I would also like to add that in Rome you see a lot of rich/classical architechture/art all around you. So having a hotel room which is contemporary in its styling offers relief. In fact I believe that the contemporary style of the hotel offers itself to be juxtaposed with the more traditional styles one sees in the city, and this actually helps you appreciate the latter even more. This is a subtle but in my view important point.

I also think that overall it is better to stay in this area rather than in the veneto area which is above the steps (Spanish Steps). Most of the grand old hotels are in the Via Veneto area which is a bit "dull" in my view compared to the streets below the steps.

Finally don't miss Pincio garden just minutes away- its a wonderful place to relax and get some open space
Keep it up Babuino !!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank RishiKhanna
Reviewed March 2, 2012

We had two rooms on the same floor for ourselves and two adult children.
we were able to get one room early as we arrived around lunch time, was appreciated.
we were shown to our room and bags were handled well.
The rooms were great. Modern and spacious. Nice windows and good light.
Location perfect.
Staff friendly and helpful.
We did not take breakfast in the hotel so no comment.
Internet worked well.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank JohnHenryH
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Brilliant location. Pleasant helpful staff. Felt like a home from home. Would stay again if in Roma. 5 stars - not given lightly !

• Stayed: February 2012