“Better than some, worse than others”
Review of La Scaletta

La Scaletta
Ranked #3,071 of 12,676 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trastevere
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We ate dinner at this restaurant mainly because it was located in the same piazza as our hotel. Was it the worst meal we ate in Rome, not be a far cry. Was it the best. Not really. It was an OK meal. The service staff was OK. The prices were OK.
I will forget that I ate there very quickly so I had to write this review as soon as we got back.

Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Good small trattoria(local Roman resturant), a menu with good variety of antipasti, first, second & even great deserts(honestly i haven't tried but looked tempting!).
The place is very cheep compare to like places i know in the city.
We have enjoyed!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Do they serve gourmet food? No. Do they serve good food at good prices in a good location. Absolutely. OK - they have a tourist menu which many on these boards will scoff at, but, being a solo tourist I welcomed it. I recently spent a month in Rome - half of the time solo - and this was a place I visited more times than any other. I felt comfortable alone and met many nice tourists and a few Romans (who told me they enjoyed the pizza there). Unfortunately it seems they are always very busy and the servers can sometimes seem a little overwhelmed, but were always pleasant to me. The white house wine (you have your choice of red or white) is decent and very inexpensive.

Offered is a special lunch (10E) or dinner (13E) tourist menu and you receive an appetizer, primo or secondo, and dessert. On occasion I just ordered from the regular menu and the plates were exactly what was served on the tourist menu so the value of the tourist menu is very good.

Another nice option - they serve all day long - which was nice for a solo diner as I could go during an "off" time to avoid the busy times.

We visit Rome each year and found this place 5 or 6 years ago and go back each time.

1  Thank Travelingal15644
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This restaurant was extremely terrible, please don't go. I'm an American who has been living in Rome for 2 years and I went here with friends visiting because the price seemed like a positive quality, but the food was beyond disgusting. The fried food was over fried and even too hard to cut through. The pasta was too salty to eat and the sauce tasted like it was from a can. The meat was full of fat and burnt. The fish was not fresh and we couldn't even eat it. When I said to the waitress that the food was bad and not fresh enough to eat SHE SAID THEY CAN'T CONTROL THE QUALITY OF THE FOOD THEY SERVE. I said they shouldn't have cooked it and she just walked away talking about us to all of the staff. Please, don't waste your time, money, health or emotional stability on this waste of space.

2  Thank Annabel K
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I visited La Scaletta with a group of 12 study abroad students while on a visit to Rome. They could only accommodate our group if we sat outside, but the menu had so many tempting options at incredibly reasonable prices we were willing to oblige.
Being on the street also offered great people watching and a classic Rome atmosphere. Our food was delicious! I ordered an Insalata Mista and Bruschetta Pomodoro...clearly I was craving something light after a few days of Roman cuisine :)
The ingredients were fresh, the wine was cheap and crisp, and the atmosphere was lovely. Highly recommend for a relaxed night out in Rome!