“Rome trip July 2013.”
Review of Estrobar

Estrobar
Reserve with
Estrobar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #275 of 12,855 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ostiense
Reviewed July 21, 2013

On the first evening at Abitart Hotel on July 9th, The GM at the hotel recommended eating dinner at The Estrobar restaurant. There were six of us, we accepted the recommendation not knowing what was in store for us........ to our surprise, everything from food/drinks, service and ambiance exceeded our expectations. Having been pleased with the superior quality of the restaurant, we decided that an encor trip to Estrobar on the last night of our stay was in order.
Dine at Estrobar, you will be pleased with the quality of the experience at a modest pre-fix price, for five course dinner, including their excellent house wine.

2  Thank Elias1941

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We visited here on the 6th July and absolutely fell in love with the place! We had the four course tasting menu along with a glass of house wine, water and bread which was 30 euros each! An absolutely amazing price for such beautiful food. We did want to visit last night but sadly it was closed as it was a Sunday! VERY RECOMMENDED.

2  Thank Melaniec84921
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Amazing service and great value for money.

The staff are very welcoming and helpful.I had a a relaxed afternoon on the covered terrace.(a green, fresh oasis just of the dusty road) with a nice glass of prosecco.....

1  Thank Claudia N
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Have been living in Rome for a long time and travelling around Italy have very seldom found a good restaurant with quality at an extremely competetive price as I found at Estrobar. The atmposphere is trendy, suitabòle for young people and just as suitable for the older people that love quality, good atmosphere, art and not but not least, very good food and presented in the best of styles.
Went for an evening with friends and happy to have discovered the restaurant.
Have been back several times, just to test it out again and can honestly say that every time everything was just perfect .... the menu was also renewed .... at to my surprise at the same special price !!! Its a must try . ONLY €30.00 or a four course gourmet meal INCLUDING house wine and minerale water and live music !!!! thats a price you can not beat !!!

1  Thank foreigner R
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Estrobar is a restaurant off the tourist track on Via Pelligrino Matteucci, in the Ostiense area south of the city. We stayed in the Abitart Hotel and the restaurant is attached though I think you can just walk in off the street.

Abitart is a boutique art themed hotel and the style and ethos filters through to the Estrobar restaurant. It's split into a section at the front for smokers and a section at the back for the non-smokers (Italy has no smoking ban). Artwork hangs from the ceiling throughout and it provides a modern and relaxed atmosphere. The Maître d is a very helpful lady who speaks good English. We went in to get a drink at the bar one night and she looked after us.

The day we ate at Estrobar we took advantage of their 'taster' menu which is 4 courses for a fixed price. It was 25 Euro if you finish before 10:30 or 30 Euro if you stay after 10:30. We arrived 3 quarters of an hour before our reservation time hoping to just get a drink at the bar. There was no-one else there (7:45) and this made for a really awkward encounter with a member of staff who didn't speak English very well. I think something got lost in translation and we got seated instead. A few comments about the lack of other people fell on deaf ears and just made things more awkward. To make matters worse we were unsure whether the taster menu was the only menu or whether we had to specify. We ended up ordering anyway and just tried to enjoy ourselves which was made all the easier when more diners came in at around 8pm. By our initial reservation time of 8:30 the atmosphere was better and we could fully relax.

The food itself was really good; I had buffalo mozzarella with prosciutto ham for starters, followed by gnocchi with prawns, scallops and pesto for the 'Primi' course. I enjoyed a wonderfully tasty beef strips on salad for the 'Secondi' course followed by a warm chocolate pudding for dessert. My partner had tempura prawns with stir fried vegetables to start followed by the same 'Primi' dish as me. She then had the salmon roll with shellfish for 'Secondi' and the pineapple with wild berries and wafer for dessert. Everything tasted delicious and the only issue was how full we were after the 'Primi' course!

The fixed price deal includes house drinks, which means house white and house red wine. I was on red and my partner was on white which meant neither of us were left the bottle; something I had seen the waiters do with tables drinking the same wine. This meant we had to ask for refills and this got a bit stressy after a while trying to get the waiters attention. We felt like cheapskates trying to get free drinks each time we asked. Throughout the meal we managed to get 3 drinks each which we thought was value for money. As for the cost of the meal we were very unsure as to exactly how they expected payment. We had seen a few tables walk out without asking for the bill and I ended up having an awkward conversation with the waiter (we put it on the room).

Overall the food was superb, the venue was great, the atmosphere when it got going was relaxed and entertaining. The stress at the start, with the drinks and with the bill took the edge off a really good night but I think this was more down to our own anxieties and inadequacies in understanding the language and etiquette. I would recommend this restaurant to others.

2  Thank Psychobobb