“After the Sistine Ordeal”
Review of Il Bacio - CLOSED

Il Bacio
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Prati
Seattle, Washington
“After the Sistine Ordeal”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We were dying. Three and half hours of art... too much but unfortunately the only way you can get it.
It was early, maybe 6:30pm. We were HUNGRY. I'd thought of Da Cesare also close by but not opening till 8pm. This was my backup-- I thought maybe it would be open... IT WAS!!!
The food was excellent I had Pasta Pepperdelle with Ragu Sauce ( a specialty)
my wife had a seafood salad. Excellent tasty and attentively served. The other diners were americans as well... later in the evening it's more Italians.
I would definitely go back. Charming spot nice people.

• Visited April 2012

Los Angeles
“Hidden away near the Vatican - great food - nice people”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We staggered through November rains, after a day on our feet at the Vatican, and rejected a couple of places before seeing Il Bacio - which means The Kiss in Italian. You go down stairs and suddenly the room opens up to a sizeable dining room, with checkered table cloths and Gustav Klimt's The Kiss on the wall. The Roman pastas are terrific - we had a spaghetti carbonara, a seafood pasta and spaghetti alla gricia - ie spaghetti with bacon (not American bacon, but the more delicate Italian speck) which were all terrific. I had what appeared to be a very very rare steak, and while they graciously took it back to cook it some more, the waitress told me that it was the kind of beef they use, it's very red. Having had carpaccio in other parts of the city, that was a deep red, I think I believed her. It was very tasty, just a little bit startling. We also had a sea bass crusted in pistachios and shared a dessert. Glasses of wine all round, (I think the other tables of Italians found us amusing) and the waitress brought us shots of an after dinner digestive - not grappa or limoncello but a kind of homebrew which was quite satisfying. When I tried to describe my reaction to my pasta, the waitress grinned and said, "Best thing you ever ate?" I nodded. At the time, it seemed true.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Sharon D
Connecticut
“Good Meal - great service”
Reviewed October 29, 2011

We went here after visiting the Vatican museums and St. Peter’s. We found it on Via Crescenzio near the Castel San Angelo.

It was a cool evening, so we decided not to eat outside and went downstairs into their restaurant. They had a full menu that included pizza.

I had a simple salad and a pasta dish with seafood that was very good. My wife ordered pizza and found it undercooked compared to the way our local pizza parlors in Connecticut cook their pies.

The service was very friendly and everyone spoke English quite well.

• Visited October 2011
Whitstable, United Kingdom
“Outstanding food, gorgeous presentation, wonderful service”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Had an absolutely fantastic time during my short stay in Rome. The service, ambience and food were so good I went three nights consecutively and it all just got better and better. It was great to see a menu consisting of flavoursome, seasonal, fresh ingredients for very reasonable prices and the presentation was beautiful. The waiter and waitress were very kind and welcoming, since I do not speak any Italian, and they really made the restaurant a very warm and inviting environment to dine in.
I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants to escape the touristy bars and restaurants in Rome selling over-priced food that lacks the quality and service Il Bacio offers. Thank you so much for such a wonderful time and hopefully will come again very soon!

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank paulaj350
Perth, Australia
“Terrible food, and overpriced”
Reviewed May 5, 2011

We needed a good steak after too many pizzas ans pastas in Italy - found this place, they offered two steak options, we had one each.
We both ordered our steaks medium - after sending them back three times, we eventually ate our steaks....rare, and poor quality.
Clearly the 'cooks' (I use the term very loosely) don't know how to cook steak.
Never again and warning others to steer clear also.

• Visited April 2011