“A really nice room with a great view of the Colosseum”

Palazzo Manfredi - Relais & Chateaux
Ranked #42 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I took my husband here for a romantic first few days in Rome. The decor of the hotel is really a stand out which is why I was so drawn to it. The room did not disappoint and was really nicely done. We especially liked the bathroom in our room. The bathroom was quite large with an oversized shower that had a window overlooking the Colosseum. The shower also had blue lights installed at the base which gave it some ambiance. A really nice touch that I will likely use in my own house for my next remodel. The staff were really welcoming and helpful. They helped us book a tour to the Colosseum and can help you with a host of other things. The location of the hotel is a bit of a distance from the main shopping area but we enjoyed walking around and exploring. There is a nice hub of restaurants and bars right next door which was nice because we didn't have to go far for food and drinks. All-in-all we had a really nice stay here.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank girl1der1975
PalazzoManfrediRoma, Direttore generale at Palazzo Manfredi - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Palazzo Manfredi-Relais & Chateaux during your recent visit to the Eternal city.

We are so glad to read that your stay was a memorable one and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Rome is about Romans, History, Heritage and what better place to start. This is a small boutique hotel without the bells and whistles of marble and gold. 14 rooms in all I believe. Bit pricey for the product. Walk to the colosseum at your ease. Get to stroll the Vatican early morning and on your way back catch the Pantheon, Travi fountain etc. This location is so convenient. I was surprised with so much tourists coming to Rome the infrastructure for tourists in Rome is too bad. Honestly I couldn't find a good hotel here. No Four Seasons or Shangrila or Ritz Carlton. The staff at the hotel were all very nice and helpfull.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank MFJose

Reviewed December 22, 2013

This is an absolutely delightful hotel. Small and intimate, but delightfully elegant.
We stayed in a family suite (Giusepe Cesare), which is two rooms combined. The decore is sober and elegant and comfortable, although the rooms are admittedly small and intimate.
Comfort is key for this hotel, and every night a pillow menu was handed to us, encouraging us to chose size and firmness.
The bathrooms are also small, but elegant and comfortable, one with a deep bathtub and the other with a comfortably sized shower.
The real draw of the hotel is the view of the coliseum, which is something fantastic to wake up to. Its view is guarantied by the fact that the archeological site of the ludus maximus, the training camp of the gladiators, stands between the hotel and the colosseum. If you do not get the colosseum view, you will face the park where Nero's Golden House once stood, which is not a bad site to wake up to either.
Walk out of your hotel, past the Colosseum, and you enter the forum. I cannot imagine a better location for those interested in Ancient Rome.
To be fair, this is not the most posh part of Rome. There are a few "rainbow" bars visible across the way, on the other side of the Ludus Maximus. If instead of walking towards the colosseum and the forum you walk away from it, you will pass cheap tourist restaurants but will be rewarded by a working class neighborhood which will give a bit of a genuine feel of Rome. (The neighborhood has gone a bit downhill since Nero moved out.)
The hotel staff is extremely friendly and seemed personally committed to our enjoyment. They set up several outings for us, recommended restaurants, and went out of their way to make our visit fun. They were very good with our children.
The hotel has a very nice restaurant on its top floor with stunning views of the city. The food is not really typical Roman, but very nice. Breakfast is also served there. Room service comes from this restaurant, promising a lot of interesting options if you chose to dine in.
This hotel does not have a spa or gym, but they will bring an exercise machine up to your room if you request. They also provide a jogger's map of the nearby park.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank R S
PalazzoManfrediRoma, Direttore at Palazzo Manfredi - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear Guest,

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your wonderfull comment regarding your recent visit at Palazzo Manfredi-Relais & Chateaux.

I am delighted to hear that you were pleased with the Hotel service and that we were able to meet your needs.

It is give me a great pleasure to be able to pass along your positive comments and the importance of your satisfaction.

On behalf of everyone at Palazzo Manfredi Hotel, thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Palazzo Manfredi Hotel in the not too distant future.

With regards,

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Just returned home from a 5 night stay at Palazzo Manfredi as a surprise for my boyfriend's 30th birthday. We're still awestruck at the experience. We had never felt so spoilt!

I had been in touch with Milly by email in the weeks prior to our arrival. She was extremely helpful, informative, and quick replying. Arriving by taxi outside the hotel, the doorman was already unloading our bags before we even set foot outside the car. We were greeted by Milly like royalty. We were offered a drink, she explained the check-in procedure and she showed us to our room via a stylish old-fashioned elevator. We stayed in a Prestige room, so no Colosseum view, but absolute luxury nonetheless (as you can see from the photos)! One point worth mentioning is that we were given a room in the back, and looking out the window to the right, the Colosseum is clearly visible anyway :)

The room was extremely clean and spacious, very comfortable bed with 6 pillows, perfectly warm temperature, warm marble floors, stylish carpets, and warm lighting. There is a Nespresso coffee machine in the room, with 2 complimentary capsules daily. Complete black-out curtains, making it very easy to sleep in or nap throughout the day, and a large wardrobe. The bathroom was one of our favourite things about the experience - pure luxury! Very large marble sink and mirror, brass taps and handles, a good-sized bathtub and a large window overlooking the tub. A towel warmer, bathroom scales, lovely toiletries and perfect water pressure - a very important point for us! Turndown service included bite-sized biscuits, the weather forecast for the next day, and a pillow menu!

Definitely one of the highlights of our stay was the incredible breakfast. I wasn't sure whether to include it in the stay, but it is worth every cent! A lovely selection of cold meats, smoked salmon, fresh mozzarella and other cheeses, tomatoes, fresh fruit, cereals, yogurt, croissants, donuts, cake, and different types of bread, juices and teas. Eggs and (the most amazing) pancakes are available on request. Other than the delicious food, the main selling point is the priceless view of the Colosseum every morning. Just a little tip - if you decide not to pay the extra for the Colossuem view rooms, it's more than worth it to put the extra money on getting breakfast included instead, so you get to start every morning with that view anyway :) One last thing, breakfast would not have been the same if were not for Rosa and Catalina who took care of us every morning. Remembering our favourite juice and that I take two cappuccinos with my breakfast was something that we really appreciated. Such small yet meaningful attention to detail really makes such a difference, and we would really like to thank them once again! :)

I was a little concerned with the location as regards to the distance from the centre after reading some reviews, but it's amazing just how close everything really is in Rome. We took the metro once, and a taxi once late at night. Other than that, we walked everywhere. And after seeing the crowds in the centre, arriving back to a slightly more quiet location at the end of the day was a welcome relief.

The staff are all so extremely helpful, cheerful and professional. We felt cut off from reality, and will definitely stay at Palazzo Manfredi again when we return to Rome - and we will return to Rome! :) If we could give this hotel 6 stars, we definitely would!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alana D
PalazzoManfrediRoma, Direttore at Palazzo Manfredi - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

What amazing words of compliments you have written, please accept my most sincere thanks on behalf of all my staff. I am so very proud that we have been able to assist in creating this lasting memory on such an important occasion.

I especially appreciate your very kind comment on our valuable team member, Milly, Rosa and Catalina.

With regards,

Reviewed December 11, 2013

We stayed for a long weekend here, in a junior suite. The staff were extremely helpful throughout our stay, arranging tours, booking restaurants and taxis etc. The breakfast was nice, very good coffee, and a fantastic view. We had an amazing meal here one evening too, though it was not cheap.
Our room was a little on the small side for something described as a suite, but it looked good and had a great view of course, as well as nice toiletries etc. Some minor niggles included the mattress being pretty hard, the light from the minibar being visible all night, the tv was difficult to operate.
If you have not been to Rome before, by away that the location is not as central as you might expect, being a good walk into the centre.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 19, 2013

It was my wife’s 45th birthday and she did not want a big birthday party so I surprised her with 4 days in Rome. I wanted to stay at a really nice hotel close to ll the main attractions so I chose Palazzo Manfredi. I was a little nervous because it was a small hotel but once I got there I was quickly put at easy. As soon as we arrived at the hotel it was raining but Giacomo was there to greet us outside with an umbrella. He had a big smile and was very friendly. He quickly made us feel like we were home. Giacomo was very helpful and went out of the way to make sure our stay was a pleasant one. I have been to bigger hotels but to come down to the lobby and be greeted by name every time was a 5 star experience for us.

The proximity to the Colosseum and the Forum was great, and there are some really nice restaurants in the small streets nearby. All with great food and friendly fun people.
We did not use cabs as we were in walking distance to all the main attractions and restaurants. The room itself was luxurious and plush as expected, the bathroom was beautiful with nice pressure water.

Giacomo invited us upstairs to restaurant 'Aroma' which was really nice (5 star restaurant). We originally went up there for a free welcome drink but then decided to have dinner to celebrate my wife’s Birthday.The view of the Colosseum was breathtaking. The food was absolutely delicious and although a little on the expensive side it was well worth it for the ambiance and the type of food you would not normally find at any restaurant in Rome.
I see reviews that say it’s stuffy and expensive however I was in Jeans and button shirt, no jacket and was treated like I had a tux on. The staff was excellent.

The only negative part of the trip was that our room didn't have a view of the Colosseum; rather, it looked out onto the adjacent under-construction building. Don’t get me wrong it’s not the hotel’s fault that it’s next door neighbor was under construction. There was not even any construction going on while we were there. We did not pay to have the view of the Coliseum but we did not pay to have the view of the construction either. In any regards, that didn’t matter to us because we would not be staying in the room much. We closed the beautifully plush curtains and enjoyed the room while we were there. I would highly recommend Palazzo Manfredi to anyone. It’s a great hotel, wonderful staff and great location.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DomLuc68

Dear Guest,

I especially appreciate your very kind comment on our valuable team member Mr. Giacomo Valle, Front Desk Manager.

On behalf of everyone at Palazzo Manfredi Hotel, thank you for taking the time to write your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Palazzo Manfredi Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

The Hotel Manfredi was a great choice in Rome. We stayed there for 3 nights in October 2013. The hotel was full, so we were upgraded to a Junior Suite that looked straight out at the Colleseum. The room was very quiet at night as there were sound proofed windows, and the bed was very comfortable. The staff was very helpful and offered great suggestions. It was incredibly convenient to walk over to the ancient ruins of Rome after opening up the curtains and seeing them in your face!. We ate dinner at the restaurant on the roof with a view; and the meal, wine, and servce were excellent, although I warn you that it was a small fortune. One small tip would be to share a breakfast buffet off of one plate and go back for seconds, as it is about $35/pp. The wait staff had no problem with this. We would definately stay here again when in Rome.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
PalazzoManfrediRoma, Direttore at Palazzo Manfredi - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013