“Sensational!”

Gaetano Costa
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ludovisi / Via Veneto
Description: Elegant restaurant situated on top floor of grand hotel ritz rome, the cuisine is italian and modern
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have lived in Rome for 3 years and I am constantly disappointed by the quality of restaurants in this city, given that the fresh produce in Italy is of such high quality. One restaurant that never disappoints is Gaetano Costa. The food is creative Mediterranean fare, and the wines are superb. The staff understand both cuisine and wines, will make excellent recommendations, and will ask the kitchen to modify courses, if there is something that a client cannot eat. On 24th December we had a seafood degustazione menu of 7 exquisite courses, plus desserts. My guests all commented that it was probably the best meal that they had eaten anywhere. After the meal, Gaetano, the owner/Chief spoke with each diner. He was genuinely interested in what people thought of his cuisine, and radiated an enthusiasm for food and wine. The meal was expensive, but it was worth every euro. A unique and sensational food experience.

1  Thank Stuart L
Chef45Roma, Direttore at Gaetano Costa, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

dear mister stuart, we have pleaced to receive your kind feed back on trip advisor too.
the complete team of gaetano costa to thank you for been to us in 24 december , it was a good evening for all the guests that night .
warms regards

il team
gaetano costa

Reviewed December 12, 2012

When we organise the dinner party with my colleagues to the gaetano costa, i was bit confused. But as soon as i entered to the restaurent, i felt to have this dinner with maximum peace and privacy. Fantastic interior design. The set up of the restaurent has been studied with intelligence. Eccellent welcome to the restaurent by the staff and the chef himself. And the food was just fresh and well cooked and served very ellegant way. Thank you so much chef. Best of luck for your future and off course we will continue organise dinner with you. And best of luck for DOT DOT.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

You can see the chef is trying hard, but it seems to be more about look and hype. Don't get me wrong, it's good food, well presented in a very trendy contemporary setting. The place to go to impress, rather than to discover new culinary experience. The sommelier's selection was not to my taste, but this can happen.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I confess it's hard for me to express an opinion about a chef who spent all the evening sitting at a table next to mine laughing and chatting with two girls, cigarettes and glasses of wine. I would say it is absolutely unprofessional and I would rate this experience zero but it would be unfair because the staff in the kitchen and the service really worked hard to make the evening an unforgettable one. The problem with Gaetano Costa Restaurant maybe is Gaetano Costa. Everything in this place talks about him: name, wallpapers, website. And where is he? If humility is still a virtue in this world, well.... I am quite disappointed, I use to spend the best part of my money in restaurants all over europe and I never ever had to discuss with a 100 Euros / guest chef something I didn't like. When I tried to express my diaspointment with patisserie with a waiter, the chef came at my table just like someone hurted in his pride and explained I was wrong. "I am the chef here and the property is mine" he yelled. Maybe I was really wrong, but in certain restaurants the client is always right, and this is one of the first rules of the game. The review: 2 of 2 of my wine choices where "finished" due to wine list "renewal". Crayfish and avocado good but already seen in cheaper places. Sea scallop with saffron very nicely cooked but missing character. Matriciana bars of pasta appreciable. Lasagna with dried tomatoes and sea fruits not so good. Spatula fish and escargots very nice idea. Pistacho dessert absolutely forgettable. Mango tartare with ice cream not a good idea. Petit patisserie the worst I have ever had to deal with. Good staff, quick and responsive. The location is very nice. Worth a 100 Euros couple deal, surely not worth a 200 Euros couple menu. Dear Mr. Costa, if you have only 3 booked tables on a friday evening then ask yourself a question and give yourself an answer. What's wrong?

Reviewed September 27, 2012

You're basically eating in an art gallery which took some time to get used to. Initially it felt a bit soulless but eventually the restaurant filled up a little and when the food arrived, all our anxieties resolved. Excellent modern italian food and whilst not cheap, it's not ridiculous. And the wine list was reasonable. The service was exemplary.