“Excellent pasta dishes” 4 of 5 bubbles

Trattoria da Danilo
Ranked #2,229 of 12,043 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Esquilino
Brussels, Belgium
“Excellent pasta dishes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Dinner with 3 friends, we all had pasta and each dish was delicious. The mixed starters was also very good, with an amazing spread of 10 different small bites (share 1 order for 2 people, it's the perfect size).
We also had a main, a salad and desserts, but they were not as good as the pasta.
Service was OK, waiters would not linger at the table for long but we never felt abandoned.
Overall a little pricey, but definitely to recommend.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

• Korean first
Lisbon, Portugal
“Unreliable”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

We made a reservation for Easter Sunday lunch 40 days in advance but when we call them on our way to the restaurant the staff said they had no table for us! We insisted because we were in town with our baby only to hear that it was not their problem. Absolutely not acceptable!

Visited March 2013
2 Thank t_fendi
Thessaloniki, Greece
“If you're a tourist, you're just a wallet to them.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

From the moment you open your mouth and no Italian comes out, you're treated with indifference. As soon as we said that we had no reservations (for a restaurant that had just opened and had only one other table occupied) the waiter asked the owner something, the owner just barked something back and we were seated right next to the door. The owner did not even look at us, not even when he later served us our pasta, let alone talk to us or welcome us.

As I had read so much for the carbonara, I wanted to try just that. We were going to eat pizza later elsewhere but wanted to stop here first for a quick carbonara before we did so. So we ordered two carbonaras. I tried to be extra kind and (apart from my "grazie" which I said all the time) I told the waiter -with a broad smile on my face- that we had heard many people suggesting this place and their wonderful carbonara. He stood there looked at me with a serious face, not acknowledging my compliment and just waited there looking like he was bored (which I'm sure he was). He spoke perfect English so it wasn't a language thing, it was an indifference thing and I regret the moment that I complimented them.

The waiter said that the carbonara would take 20 minutes to prepare and that we should order something for the meantime. We would have ordered a salad, but there was no salad on the menu. We didn't want to spend 8 euros (or whatever they charge for bruschetta) for 2 grilled slices of bread with tomato on top. We eat that here in Greece all the time, with bread fresh from the bakery and tomatoes from our garden. So we said that we would wait for the pasta no problem and just ordered a big bottle of water.

As soon as they realised that they were not getting the big bucks from us they had the carbonara on our table within 10 minutes (the cooking time magically reduced!). As soon as we finished it (in less than 5 minutes) the waiter took our plates immediately and asked us in a eat-something-else-or-leave manner if we wanted to order something else. I replied "No, just the check please". To our surprise we were charged "2 PANE E SERVIZIO" for 4 euros. 4 euros for 3 slices of bread and the service. You can see the "receipt" they gave us...

The most annoying thing of all was the attitude of the owner, who apparently smiles only when talking with Italians and when taking photos with celebrities to hang on his walls. And from the reply he gave to a person who wrote a review here, it's obvious he is extremely rude.

Frankly, if the restaurant hadn't been right next to our B&B (we stayed at Emanuele Filiberto) I wouldn't have gone there, for sure. But since we were hungry we wanted to eat something quickly, and as the owner of the B&B had suggested it, he thought "why not?". I don't care if they listed what we ordered as primi piatti , I wanted to eat just that and I expect the restaurant to respect it's customers, even if the customers want just a glass of water to drink. I expect many more will give 1 star (for luck of zero stars). If I could, I would have given 1/2 a star just for the pasta. I would never recommend this place to any of my friends or family, so I don't recommend it to any of you, either. At least not to anyone who cares about the service.

Visited March 2013
7 Thank Mrpcrj
Rome, Italy
“Horrible service and undercooked food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I rarely write critiques at tripadvisor, but my experience at this place convinced me to make an exception. After reading several blogs about the greatness of this restaurant, I thought that this would really be the place where I could feel I could be away from tourist traps. After a nice visit to the Coliseum, I decided to walk to the faraway shabby area where the restaurant is located. The place from outside looks kind of messy, but I thought "oh well, it's probably recommended for a reason". Then, I entered and ordered a table for two. After being given the menus to read, a bitter waitress asks us about the food and makes some unwelcoming sarcastic comments. I ordered two plates, pasta and baccala but she insisted that I should also order some vegetables or French fries, so I decided to follow her recommendation. After a long wait, she comes with the pasta. The portion is rather small, but in general it was fine. Then she comes with... lamb! I clearly ordered baccala from the beginning, but the surprising thing was that she got angry at me for a mistake she made totally by herself. I would be eager to forgive a misunderstanding, but I just can't understand why she couldn't just have apologized instead of trying to make me feel guilty and uncomfortable. At that moment, my experience was already ruined, so I decided to cancel my order for the baccala seeing as they hadn't even started it. I insisted on this three times, and after almost entering into the kitchen to make this clear, then they told me that "it will be ready in five minutes". But these guys are not magicians, and you cannot cook a baccala in five minutes! So the result was a TOTALLY UNDERCOOKED dish. I asked them to cook it a little bit more, so they took it and after some time it became a little bit better. However, once again, they tried to make me feel guilty for their own mess. Finally, I ordered the bill, which they served quickly. To my surprise, they charged me twice for bread I never asked for (and didn't even touch the second basket I had been thrown on the table). But even worse, they also charged me for "the service". In other words, I paid for being insulted. This place was completely disappointing, and even ruined my mood during the whole day. The food isn't even that great, and considering the horrible experience, its very expensive. Guys, you've been warned.

• Visited March 2013
9 Thank Ell23_13
Dublin, Ireland
“Too good!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Highly recommend Danilo, my mother and I ate there last night following a recommendation from our hotel concierge and we were not disappointed. On arrival the waiter was very welcoming and made a super wine recommendation. To start we chose a selection of traditional dishes to share, followed by pasta and gnocchi for mains. Each dish was superb and dessert was just as good, melt in your mouth Tiramisu which definitly did "pick me up" as a Tiramisu should! Overall the atmosphere was really relaxed and inviting. It also seemed to be full of locals which I always think is a great sign. It's only a pity this place is not in Ireland - I want this Tiramisu as my wedding cake!!! Amazing :)

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Trattoria da Danilo? Share your experiences!