Tripadvisor
Rome

“Surely one of the oldest and best jewish pastry in the Ghetto”
Review of Forno Boccione

Forno Boccione
Ranked #224 of 1,030 Dessert in Rome
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Ghetto
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I saw many people standing in line. (no name at the front door, a real hole in the wall) Looking at the small window I saw the cakes like in my grandmother dreams (whom I did not know). Immediately, I went to join the group in the line and bought a few peaces of each cake I had in sight. I will probably need 3 months to lose the extra weight but I will never regret it.

Date of visit: January 2020
1  Thank 329jacquesp
Write a reviewReviews (342)

Reviewed January 6, 2020

I feel a need to defend the ladies of the Forno, who have an undeserved reputation for rudeness here. I've been many times over the years and they've always been polite and pleasant and they certainly smile. They keep tabs on those who try to jump the line, which impresses me. They are as civil as you are. Go because they make a few wonderful things brilliantly - no one makes what they make, in the special way they make it, half as well as they do. This is Roman Jewish baking at its best.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed December 18, 2019

Very good bakery and pastry shop, a large choice of cakes and many specialities; a heavy smell of greediness;

Date of visit: January 2019
2  Thank Manuela L
Reviewed December 3, 2019

I stopped because of the smell. The taste was great too. One of the nicest cakes I have ever eaten. Totally worth the que.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed October 8, 2019 via mobile

We came to this bakery located in the Roman Jewish ghetto specifically to get the ricotta and sour cherry tart. We had seen the pictures online and thought it looked amazing so we had to try it.

OMG this tart was everything we had imagined and more! It was absolutely delicious. The creaminess of the ricotta balanced out the tartness and sweetness of the cherries, and the crust was pure perfection. I wish I had gotten my own slice instead of sharing it with my husband, lol!

The ladies at the bakery were so nice and although they didn't speak much English, it was enough to understand and they worked with my broken Italian.

We also ended up getting another pastry that was recommended by one of them as being something we could only taste here in Rome. Of course we had to oblige and we didn't regret it. This second pastry had almonds and dried fruit, had a harder and crunchier consistency and it was baked to almost charred, especially at the edges. It reportedly has Roman-Hebrew roots (called pizza Ebraica) and while the ricotta tart couldn't be outdone, this pastry was still very tasty.

Date of visit: September 2019
1  Thank cmd_fmxo

Been to Forno Boccione? Share your experiences!