“Had a lovely mini-break in Rome”
Review of Hotel Villa Duse

Hotel Villa Duse
Ranked #174 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Barnet, United Kingdom
“Had a lovely mini-break in Rome”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The Hotel Villa Duse is a wonderful place to stay when in Rome. The hotel has a lovely setting and decor, with very efficient and attentive staff. The atmosphere is very relaxing and chilled out. The hotel is positioned conveniently to catch tram number 19 or bus number 360 into the city centre. We had four fantastic days in Rome, and had a room with its own garden terrace, which is highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roy P
Maria Rosaria M, Proprietario at Hotel Villa Duse, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Dear Guest,
I'm delighted to know that your stay with us was just great and meet you expectations. This lovely words make me and my staff work with passion every day and strive to give the best service.

I really hope to see you again at Villa Duse.

Maria Rosaria Mastroianni,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Greek first
London
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights at this boutique hotel in May. The reception staff were very good, friendly, very helpful and efficient. The room was compact but very clean and nicely decorated. The breakfast buffet was good but the service a little slow. The gardens are lovely to sit in and very peaceful. They made a refreshing change from the city centre! The only down side is the distance to the main attractions in the city- this became quite tedious using public transport as the weekend buses were irregular and it was a 5-10 min walk to the tram. This wouldn't matter except if you spent all day walking round Rome ... Other reviews imply it is next to the park but in fact it is at least 10 min walk beyond the park. I would highly recommend the hotel but not sure the extra distance makes it worthwhile.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Helen29London
Maria Rosaria M, Proprietario at Hotel Villa Duse, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Mrs Helen,

First of all we would like to thank you for your comments and we are glad to read you have been satisfied about our reception staff, the room furniture and cleanliness.

Regarding your comments about breakfast service a bit slow, we understand your point of view and we are working on it to improve it as much as we can. Unfortunately it may happens as during your stay that our barmaid receive some room service request at the same time, that's why she got slowed.

It is true that our location is not on the center of Rome, but it is also as you kindly have described it, the reason why you can enjoy lovely gardens in a very peaceful atmosphere, away from city noise.

Not much to say on your remark about public transportation, that is effectively a bit irregular. It is a shame you did not let us know about your worry on spending too much time walking or waiting for the bus because in that case our staff is always at disposal to help you out finding a solution.

During summer time and specially for week end, we receive many scooter or vespa rental request from our guests, just because it is really quick and convenient as you don't need to worry about parking but also because it creates a charming atmosphere and a touch of "dolce vita" to your holidays.

Myself and all the staff will be looking forward to welcoming you again at the Hotel Villa Duse.

Suffolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel where the the staff and service were fantastic! As other reviewers have said, it is not a city centre hotel but that is one of the reasons we chose to stay here! After a busy day in a very hectic city it was sheer bliss to return to a place where you could listen to the birds singing whilst enjoying a glass of wine on the terrace! We part walked/taxid to the city centre rather than brave public transport! The hotel is beautiful, clean and comfortable and the breakfast was more than adequate for us. We would highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
duseduse, Proprietario at Hotel Villa Duse, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear guests,

I'm glad to know that your stay in our Villa was just wonderful and relaxing as you described it! We are very proud to hear that we made your stay so enjoyable! All our staff will be more than happy to welcome you again!

Kindest Regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2014

My husband and i have just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel and could not fault it. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. I would say the location is perhaps not ideal if you want to be is the centre. however, we have been to Rome many times and it suited us to have a quiet district to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
duseduse, Proprietario at Hotel Villa Duse, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Dear guest,

I am so glad to hear that your staying at Villa Duse was an enjoyable one and all the staff thank you for the very nice review!
We really hope to welcome you again in Rome,

Best Regards,
New York
Reviewed April 29, 2014

The very best thing I can say about the hotel Villa Duse my great pleasure every time I had dealings with each member of the staff. As I was treating several friends for their birthdays, I booked well in advance. As the time grew closer, I double checked, more than once, to confirm. Every time I called my questions and requests were treated with utmost courtesy. When we arrived, when we needed a cab to get to our dinner reservation, and certainly when we checked out each staff member at the front desk did all that was possible to meet our not inconsiderable needs. The lovely young woman at check out was outstanding.

Villa Duse was once a private home, and I certainly felt as if I were a guest in that long past era. When we left, I received a e-mail indicating that something was left in our room. Once again, the courtesy and consideration offered, seeing to it that what was left would be returned in the manner that I preferred, indicates the simultaneous warmth and class of the employees.

The Parioli section of Rome is certainly a place one might dream of living. Here, there is a sense of gracious elegance and comfort. As we had spent this vacation in another part of Italy, and only stayed the one night before heading to the airport, I look forward to returning and digesting the pleasures of this neighborhood and the comforts of the Villa Duse.

I might add that because our stay was so brief, we only had the following morning to enjoy breakfast. It most certainly did not disappoint. As they say in Italy, alls prossima.

Room Tip: Enjoy the photos, they are true. Rooms are spacious compared to others closed to the center of Rome.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank newyorkscreen
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 24, 2014

These opinions are read by hundreds, if not thousands, of travellers - not that my opinion means so much. Still, I do feel obliged to be as fair as possible. In this situation, a planned afternoon arrival with time for a stroll to the Villa Borghese, as well as time to enjoy the amenities and grounds of this much-praised hotel, was thwarted by an unexpected delay that caused us to arrive at 8:30 PM. No walk, no nap, no time to do anything but race to change in order to arrive an hour late for our dinner reservation. Thus, all we did was to sleep at Villa Duse and run out in the morning. With that in mind, it is hard to offer a fair assessment of the property. First, there was almost no toilet paper in the bathroom. I carry my own, so I had two rolls, but a full roll of toilet paper with a ribbon or a turned corner is a signal that proper maid service has been completed, so that was worrisome. On the way back in from dinner, we asked the night man for bottled water, which he told us we could find in the room. What we found in the room was one open and partially consumed bottle of water. That's when I noticed that one of the pillow shams was freshly changed and the other one was not. This combination (lack of toilet paper, partially consumed water bottle, and used pillow sham) led me to believe that the room was either not serviced or had been serviced before being fully vacated, both of which are unacceptable for an upscale hotel. We slept, had breakfast, and left for the airport, so our stay in Rome and at the Villa Duse were not what we had hoped for, though the breakfast room is lovely and the food is quite good. However, while packing, I was horrified to see a VERY LARGE cockroach scuttling across the red striped settee, headed right for my suitcase! This was unbelievable to me. Yes, I suppose every building in the world can have a cockroach, but in my hotel room and in my suitcase? We managed to scare it away, but when I went to dispatch it to roach heaven, it slipped under the settee. As we left the hotel, it was to assurances that the room was being sprayed. Ugh. Not a pleasant memory.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank LATraveller77
duseduse, Proprietario at Hotel Villa Duse, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to convey to you our sincere apologies for all the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.

Our chambermaid Theresa, is always very careful in cleaning all the rooms. By checking her daily covertures board, we have noticed that all the pillow cases had been changed before your arrival so we were really surprised that you have found one of them "used".

Regarding your comments about the toilet paper, according to our green program, we do not replace the old roll but we turn the end corners. Unfortunately in your case, as you mentioned in your email, it had not been done and we sincerely apologize.
However, we are pretty sure a new roll was available under the sink, but we understand you might not have seen it just because it was not in evidence, but it’s a shame you did not call the reception because we could have quickly resolved this problem.

Reading your comments about the partially consumed bottle of water, our chambermaid probably did not notice that one of the 4 bottles of water in the minibar, was opened.
It had been a negligence from our end, for that reason please accept once more our apologies for this matter.

Unfortunately, to make matters worse, for some strange reasons, a cockroach managed to get into your room probably from your garden’s private terrace. This is of course absolutely unacceptable and trust me that it has never happened before because we regularly disinfest all the Hotel. We are terribly sorry for this.

We completely appreciate your dissatisfaction, but please rest assure that this is not our normal level of standards. My staff and I
will be really honored to welcome you again at the Hotel Villa Duse.
You can be sure we will do our outmost to make you next stay at our hotel an enjoyable and an unforgettable one.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

In a northern section of Rome, just a stroll from Villa Borghese, waits the Hotel Villa Duse. Tucked away on a quiet block adjacent Via Elanore Duse, the hotel evokes its namesake Duse: intelligent, romantic, captivating.
A former private residence, Villa Duse is an intimate treat for sophisticated visitors to Rome.

This is a place where every detail is cared for and curated--you'll find the exterior courtyard inviting, the staff pleasant and knowledgable, and the rooms elegantly furnished. Book a room with an outdoor space and you'll be treated to a relaxing oasis from the bustle of the city center. This is the kind of place where you'll want to eat room service breakfast on your terrace and sit there all morning reading and adjusting to the time zone. If you're American you'll want to order the organic eggs (listed as "biological eggs" on the menu, a quirky translation). We had the omelette with ham and cheese and the scrambled eggs with bacon: both were excellent, and a relief from the warnings we'd heard about how hard it would be to find a hearty breakfast with eggs in Rome.

If you're worried about how to get around you may want to stay somewhere closer to the sites. However, if public transportation and taxis don't phase you and you need an smart escape every night from the other tourists, if you want to visit and truly do like the Romans then make a reservation at Villa Duse. You'll be very happy with your decision--and especially so if you have an eye for the sublime and appreciate the thought behind a detail, like Duse herself: "If the sight of the blue skies fills you with joy, if a blade of grass springing up in the fields has power to move you, if the simple things of nature have a message that you understand, rejoice, for your soul is alive..."

Thank you for a special experience.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris K
duseduse, Proprietario at Hotel Villa Duse, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Mr Chris,

What an awesome review! By reading it with all the staff, we were really touched. Thank you so much Mr. Cris for the time you spent in sharing on Trip Advisor, your special experience with us in a such detailed and illustrated way.
We are really honored to hear your stay at the Hotel Villa Duse was so wonderful.
Also, be sure Mr. Cris we will keep in consideration your suggestion about translating in our menu “uova biologica” into “organics eggs”.
Actually we were not so sure about the exact words to use, and your observation will be really precious for us to improve our quality and service.

We sincerely hope to welcome you again at the Hotel Villa Duse.