“Not your typical Jumeirah Experience”

Grand Hotel Via Veneto
Ranked #126 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Toronto, Canada
“Not your typical Jumeirah Experience”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

My wifew and I just returned from 5 nights at the Jumeirah in Rome. It is a nice hotel but not at all what we have experienced in other locations.
Check in was smooth and lobby staff was very helpful. Our room was average but was cleaned daily. It is located in a very nice part of the city but is at the top of the hill - if you walk to the sites you will have to return back up the hill.
The lobby bar is a little outlandish. My wife ordered a vodka/soda and it cost 21 Euros. Now I realize that hotel bars are more expensivfe but this is not right. Needless to say we never returned.
Our other issue was when we booked our tour for the Vatican through the concierge. We really wanted to tour the church and was told to book the Vatican Museum tour to bypass the line. When we got there we did not have the proper pass and di end up having to stand in line to tour the church. Just a note - the line lokslong but moves very quickly; maybe 15 minutes to get in.
We will definitely return to Rome but will probably stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ilaria L, Front Of House Manager at Grand Hotel Via Veneto, responded to this review, October 8, 2013

Greetings from Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.

We are delighted to read your great post your stay in Jumeirah. Your comment is important to us, as we always aim at delivering an ultimate experience for every guest.
I was concerned to read that on this occasion we did not meet some of your expectations. I have noted your comment regarding the Bar. Please be assured that our variety of products is in line with similar properties in this area if not superior. We feel that we offer an excellent value, given our unique location and facility. However, should you feel we failed to meet your expectations, I would like to sincerely apologies for that. I would like to thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality. I do hope that this experience will not deter you from visiting Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto in the future and you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the ultimate hospitality Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto is renowned for.

Yours sincerely,
Front of House Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney Australia
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

We were upgraded to the junior suite which was huge & lush! Even the deluxe room was extremely big. Nice bvlgari toiletries. As it was an occasion for us, we were also provided with complementary champagne. The staff were very helpful/friendly.
Location on via veneto, ritzy area so quite pricey but not a bad base to get to other locations (5/10mins walk to Spanish steps etc)
Only criticism was the food and price. We ordered room service one night & it was very ordinary & bland (unheard of in Italy!) also they charged us for the chicken that was supposed to come with a side of mash potatoes however it didn't.. That was disappointing.
We didnt have breakfast as it was astronomical (33 euros per person), you can find really nice breakfasts in local cafes near by for less than half of that..
We ran out of time & didn't get to try the spa unfortunately. It was also overpriced but that comes with 5 star hotels in general. Although we stayed in other 5 star hotels in Italy/Europe and have to comment this was the most expensive & least impressive of all...

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.
Your comment is important to us, as we always aim at delivering an ultimate experience for every guest. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the location which is the true centre of the city and you enjoyed the upgrade given to help celebrate your special occasion. I was concerned to read that on this occasion we did not meet some of your expectations in particular for the restaurant. Kindly note, that our variety of products is in line with similar properties in this area if not superior. We feel that we offer an excellent value, given our unique location and facility. However, should you feel we failed to meet your expectations, I would like to sincerely apologies for that. I would like to thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality. I do hope that this experience will not deter you from visiting Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto in the future and you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the ultimate hospitality Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto is renowned for.

iow
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed her for one night and would thoroughly recommend it, our check in was great with great knowledge from our receptionist Olga who showed us to our room on the 5th floor and supplied us with a map and places to get to easily, the hotel is in a good position, we arrived at 8pm.. checked in and by 12am had walked to the Trevi fountain, Pantheon and spanish steps and also stopped for dinner !! Trevi fountain was stunning at night , our room had the most comfortable bed, large bathroom, and Blvgari toiletries which where lush, we had the best stay in Rome, on check out we left our luggage at the hotel while we explored the colloseum and vaticun, then returned and had a relaxing drink in the lovely lobby before we had a taxi called to the train station. We would like to thank all the staff for making our stay so special and will recommend The Jumeriah Grand to anyone visiting Rome.

Room Tip: we stayed in a room with a street view, not sure what the rooms looking into the hotel are like but...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings from Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.

We are delighted to read your great review post your stay in Jumeirah. It gives us great pleasure to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back in Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed September 12, 2013

There were some very nice and helpful people at Jumeirah, but there were also miscues that suggest that this place is not quite ready to be among the 5 star hotels in the world. I blame this on management as I think the people are trying to do a good job but they lack the training that one get at real 5 star hotels like Four Seasons, the Mandarin Oriental, or the Peninsula. The staff at those hotels pay attention to the guests and remember names and events. Everything work together and as a team. It was not that way in the Jumeirah. I had set up transfers from the airport and the driver was given the wrong name. So it took us 30 minutes to clear that up as he was looking for someone else! Then when this was discussed with the concierge, the response was 'wow, this is strange'. No kidding. I don't care why it happened..I just wanted a sincere apology. Breakfast buffet was simple and ok. Nothing special. That's unfortunate in a city where food can be fabulous. Rooms were clean but again, nothing special. It was about expectations. I had expected more and did not feel like it was worth it. If I had expected a good chain hotel experience, I would not have been disappointed. That's what it felt like--another chain hotel but not a 5 star experience.

1 Thank MRCN

Greetings from Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.

I was concerned to read that on this occasion we did not meet some of your expectations. We do apologize for the inconveniente you encountered while waiting for the driver at the airport.
As per the breakfast, kindly be informed that our variety of products is in line with similar properties in this area if not superior. We feel that we offer an excellent value, given our unique location and facility. should you feel we failed to meet your expectations I would like to sincerely apologise for that.

England of course !
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is a five star hotel that feels like it is part of a chain, the room was adequate and clean and room servicing was done very well.

I chose this hotel after much deliberation and using Tripadvisor, I booked on the internet and a week before arriving received a nice e-mail from the hotel Lifestyle representative letting me know that the The Sky Bar and Grill would be open for my stay and this included a free glass of 'Italian Champagne' this was one of may main reasons for choosing this hotel, in fact their website front page pictures is dominated with photos of the rooftop area. I had this view of spending the evenings up there relaxing after a day of walking around Rome. When checking into the Hotel we were told that The Sky Bar and Grill would be closed for all of our stay (3 nights) due to it being for private functions, I was not happy with this so I went to the front desk and asked to see the Manager, I was directed to 'The Front of house Manager' (Alessia) she told me it was all fine and i could use The Sky Bar and Grill and any problems to contact her. We decided the next day after a long day walking around Rome to go up to The Sky Bar and Grill for a glass of Champagne and to relax looking at the views of Rome, we were stopped as the lift opened by a very rude Toni, he was not letting us step any further, this caused me some real embarrassment, so we left and went downstairs to try and rectify this situation, we were greeted by Olga and Christian that were not willing to help in any way and just said sorry and that we could speak to Alessia in the morning, we checked out the next morning with no Alessia to be seen.
I will never use the Jumeirah brand again as they make promises that they cannot keep to which has caused me personal embarrassment. If you make a big thing out of facility then close it for private functions that is not fair on your guests, I could understand if work was being carried out or for health and safety reasons but this was not to be.

If you decide to stay at this hotel please check out my review of Caffe Strega which is just outside the hotel, This is not attached to the hotel in any way.

Room Tip: Dont expect The Sky Bar and Grill to be open to hotel guests.
6 Thank daneworth
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feed back on the Tripadvisor. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on tripadvisor following your recent stay in Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto. I hope that you had a pleasant return journey. Your comment is important to us, as we always aim at delivering an ultimate experience for every guest.

I was concerned to read that on this occasion we did not meet some of your expectations. I have noted your comment and dissatisfaction regarding not being able to use the Sky Grill Bar which was booked for a private event. In these cases we always give the alternative to enjoy the free welcome drink at our Time Restaurant and Wine Bar, and so we did also with you.

Regarding the behavior of some of our colleagues, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused in this respect. This is certainly not the level of service we want our guests to experience. I have personally looked in this matter and communicated with our outlets managers that more trainings should be provided to our staff to guarantee that all our guests are fully satisfied with the service.

II would like to thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality. I do hope that this experience will not deter you from visiting Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto in the future and you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the ultimate hospitality Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto is renowned for.

Kind Reagrds
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have stayed here now 2 times and have had standard and deluxe units. Considering the cost which for a forst class hotel was reasonable, i would highly recommend this establishment. One has to understand this is not a budget hotel, (300-450 euro/night) but the rooms are fresh the staff is very accommodating and the location is better than the Excelsior(my second favorite in Rome). This is one of my favorite hotels in the world.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank enzovincent

Greetings from Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.

Meanwhile please do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance.

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We checked in late and our room was ready. The receptionist Olga was extremely friendly and helpful. We have booked our train tickets to Venice through concierge very quickly. The location of the hotel is superb! You have the spanish steps nearby, the bus tours are very close and the Termini train station is 5 min away. The only down point was slow wifi internet in the hotel.

1 Thank Mazhit I
Ilaria L, Front Of House Manager at Grand Hotel Via Veneto, responded to this review, September 12, 2013

Greetings from Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.

We are delighted to read your great review post your stay in Jumeirah.

We are also pleased to know that you enjoyed the service provided by our colleagues especially of the lifestyle dp. which is always very helpful!

We have communicated your feedback to the entire team at the hotel and they are all very happy to know that their efforts are so well appreciated. I am certain that this will serve as a source of inspiration for us to achieve higher standards of excellence in the future.