“best pizza al fresco in Rome”

Antica Trattoria Pallotta Dal 1820
Ranked #3,812 of 12,585 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I see that some people were not happy with their experience at Pallotta. Let me explain the basics of restaurants in Rome. I hope that my experience will help other fellow Americans. Waiters in real Roman restaurants (not the tourists stuff) classify clients in several categories. On top are people speaking with a Roman accent. Then, people who speak Italian. Foreigners follow and I don't want to get in classifications that could cause trouble. Let me say that some foreigners are not welcome in restaurants for locals. History is history and I can't do anything about it. Foreigners tend to be loud, arrogant, waste waiter’s time asking for foolish explanations and order the wrong wine. If you are a foreigner and want to have a great experience in a restaurant like Pallotta ask for help from the waiter and follow his suggestions. He will treat you right because he wants you to tip him well. Pallotta is the typical and one of the best restaurants for locals. Managed by an iron lady gives you great pizza, very good Roman cuisine and they really know how to cook beef on the grill. The outside garden is a jewel. The waiters are always in a rush but they know their trade. Book in advance, be patient and enjoy your meal. After all, the prices are low for the quality of the food.

1  Thank Luigi D
There are newer reviews for Antica Trattoria Pallotta Dal 1820

Reviewed June 14, 2012

I have actually been here a few times as colleagues kept on recommending it. The place is really basic, better in the summer as you can eat 'al fresco' (the indoor area is rather depressing).
I totally get the old trattoria feel you can soak up at Pallotta, which is certainly a rarity, however food quality goes from average to poor. Pizzas are just ok, pasta pretty random and meat really not to try. I must have eaten the worse 'saltimbocca alla romana' ever - terrible meat cuts randomly cooked and totally tasteless. I left the whole plate almost untouched but wasn't asked anything. On the way out I gave a sneak look at the kitchen and realized none of the workers was Italian. It feels like at Pallotta they believe they have enough branding they can afford to compromise on quality, But Ponte Milvio these days is full of alternatives, so I would suggest you take a picture at the 'Pallotta dal 1820' sign at the entrance but go and eat elsewhere.

1  Thank WilfDubai
Reviewed June 8, 2012 via mobile

Went to the outside eating area which is super nice in early June. Lucky for us we arrived early enough (7:45p, fri night) so we got seated. It became packed with locals and 'girls night out' groups.
The waiters were fine with our limited Italian. My husband didn't like the ravioli much but the pizza was good. 40 euros for the two of us - no wine.
Great spot for young 20's crowd. Fun to people- watch and near our fav gelato plac- Mondi's.

1  Thank Smith4Roma
Reviewed December 15, 2011

One of the best restaurants in Rome, not far from the stadio olimpico, but quite far from the touristic areas. Excellent antipasti and roman cuisine. Pizzas are also very good (but don't ask for them at lunch as they are a dinner-time dish...). Dessertsare not a roman specialty...better try a gelato. It can get very busy on week-ends (people queuing-up...)

1  Thank Lorenzo F
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Da Pallotta is a famous trattoria in the Ponte Milvio area. Food is very good but swimming in olive oil. Don't come here for the service, which is no frills. There is a nice patio where you can sit in the summer. All the pasta dishes are good and they specialize in local dishes.

1  Thank Superzu