“Rome at Your Doorstep”

Ranked #268 of 3,752 Rome B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Rome at Your Doorstep”
Reviewed March 17, 2010

It is interesting that this hotel solicits quite diverse comments, and therefore one could draw the conclusion that it is not for every type of traveler. For one, the hotel occupies a historic party-wall (sandwiched) building along a historic Roman main-street, and just on this score, the positive would call it 'boutique', but the negative would say cramp, cramp....cramped. Even the name appears confusing--when we booked into the hotel end october last year, it was Stay Inn but now it seems to go with another name--Stay in Rome.
It is easy to see that the premises would have difficulty with families---the ground entrance, void of a foyer, leads immediately into a corridor with a very small elevator at the end. Even for just 2 persons, my wife and I, we loaded our luggages into the elevator, sent them up on their own, walked up the stairs ourselves, and picked them at the 3rd storey reception. Not all rooms have a street view; our window opened into an air-well.
But looking beyond these physical limitations dictated by the building, and if checking in as solos or couples, the room itself, though small, would be just fine---newly appointed, comfortable, neat deco and all. And ohh, it was so easy with Rome at your doorstep! From here, we covered Piazza Spagna, Fountain Trevi, Piazza Venezia, Capitoline Hill, Forum, Piazza Navona, Campo de Fiori, Piazza Popolo, Via Condotti the flashy shopping street---all on foot. We conveniently hopped into the Metro system at Spagna, and surfaced at a number of choice sites, including Colosseo.
And for us, our experience with the staff was simply wonderful. From back home, I corresponded with Nadia and Daniella in advance for a favor, to help me purchase and display a bouquet of roses in our room as a surprise for my wife. This was nicely arranged to the hilt, and they helped us booked a place at a nice restaurant for dinner, and all these set the pleasant tone for our stay in Rome to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary! Passing by the reception en route to the breakfast room every morning, we would always be greeted warmly by Mariana or whoever was manning the reception counter. We enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sing-Roader

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed January 4, 2010

booked the stat inn back in september for a family trip at Christmas. the main reason for booking this place was because of the interconnecting rooms that were available. We needed the interconnecting as were travelling with my parents who were nervous about staying away from home, we booked via a 3rd party internet site. a few days before check in i emailed the hotels main email address and advised them we were arriving early and would it be possible for an early check in, i also requested that one of the interconnecting rooms be made as a twin, i received a confirmation email staying that both my requests would be met. what we encountered on check in i did not expect.

we arrived about 1pm and met what only i can describe as a very rude lady, i produced my internet booking form, she also had a copy of this form on her desk. she said that the rooms were not ready and i said that we had requested them and she siad that there was people still in them, no apology was made. i asked her how long would we be waiting and she said maybe an hour, i asked could she check and when she did the rooms were actually ready, she proceded to hand us two room keys for rooms 303 and 304 and then asked for our passports. i asked why she needed all our passports and she raised her hand to me and said i need them and in a waving gesture said give them to me. i asked her at this stage not to be so rude that i only wanted to know why, she said i will give them back later. i said no i would wait and she sill couldnt no give me a reson as to why she needed them and secondly why she needed to hold onto them, she was annoyed at me at this stage but i felt she had expalined nothing to me, no registration card was produced, no opening times for breakfast expalined to us, nothing. I sent two of my party to the room while i waited on the passports only to have them come back and tell me that the rooms were no interconnecting as we booked and both had double beds. i went and checked this myself and came back to the receptionist to tell her this. she said that she saw that on the requests and i said that we booked interconnecting, she proceded to tell me that they were not available, i asked why and again her hands were raised to me as well as her voice saying i do not have that room. it is occupied, i asked her how when we had reserved it. she said then that one of the rooms was occupied unitl the next day only to turn around and change her story when i told her we would move the next day!! in the end i walked away as i had asked if we could have nicer rooms not overlooking an enclosed area and she said no. i informed this lady that i had sent an email a few days ago regarding the booking and special requests and she siad when was this sent, i said a few days ago and she raised her hands again and said when, at this point i asked her to check her emails as i didnt have a printed copy with me, as i walked away she shouted at me to come back, i asked why and she said i was angry at her, i told her she was doing nothing for me and i certenly was not going back to get shouted at yet again, i work in the hotel industry and understand things can happen but the rudness and the way this lady spoke to me i would never have accepted from anyone.

the rooms were nice however the toilet seats in both bathrooms were broken, these were reported to this same receptionist and never fixed. the corridors were sensor lighted and the light over our bedroom door did not work. the light in the fridge in the bedroom flashed on and off that i had to fix myself with a piece of paper and i also noticed cigarette ashes on our bedroom floor behind the rubbish bin.

on check out we meet a lovely receptionist and i explained all that that happened and she was so so nice, even gave me a discount.

all in all the inn is in an excellent location, i would be concerned about the consent open main door that leads right onto the street but if we hadnt encounted such a rude lady on check in i am sure we would have enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank ToodlesBetty
Mackay
Reviewed December 17, 2009

PERFECT, And I mean, Perfect location... Only a few hundred meters from so many attractions!
I stayed in room 301. It was so lovely, clean and modern. After a looonngggg journey and stress from australia to hong kong, hong kong to rome, all I wanted to do what go to the hotel. We got there early and room wasn't ready. They noticed that we were not feeling well and gave us a replacement room for a few hours until hours was ready, free!
One of the only hotels which I stayed at that had BIG tv's in the room WITH cable TV in english!!!. All other hotels just had BBC & CNN.
If your after an amazing breakfast, The stay inn only offers various meats, cheeses, breads, various filled crossaints and tea/latte/coffee. But all I needed was Custard Crossaint and a coffee!

One more thing. After you are buzzed into the hotel you walk in and it looks very cheap and disgusting down a small hallway. Don't be fooled, you will be very satisfied when you go up. Don't judge the stay inn by it's hallway. lol.

I do not have any hesitations in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2009

stayed there on oct 2009,

the location is PERFECT, in the heart of via del corso, 300 meters away form spanish stairs and 400 from piazza del popolo .

the check in/check-out process was fast.
the breakfast was below basic , and same everyday, bread was very bad, nothing to eat or fresh
the room is fine. nicely decorated but there was a bad smell on room entrance we suffered from .

the hotel is cozy,
a negative point we saw about this hotel was that the reception and the breakfast room was a door away from some rooms (100'sss)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Languedoc
Reviewed September 13, 2009

Attractive modern design in an old building. The rooms are small but nicely decorated, Good AC and high quality on textiles. Breakfast with cappucino just what you need before exploring Rome. The best with this hotel is however the very friendly and service minded staff. All with their different personalities, all reday to assist you with whatever little problem or wish you have. Even after you have checked out they pay you attention....
Great place to stay!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Melbourne, AUS
Reviewed September 10, 2009

The hotel is a small boutique property, in an excellent location along Via de Corso. It had a low key presence on the street and occupies the top floors of its building. I think it recently opened, so is very modern, and the room was clean, with modern furnishings, good shower and comfortable bed. We had a room facing the street so could open the window and shutters and watch as people passed by in the street below. Location was great, with some good restaurants nearby, plenty of shops, and not far from Piazza Spagna (Spanish steps) and we were able to walk to many of the major sights, such as the forum, the colloseum (just!), the pantheon and trevi fountain. Metro station was only 5 minute walk also.

Breakfast was reasonable and in line with breakfasts we had in other hotels in Italy.

Our only complaint related to arriving back one night around midnight and not being able to get a response from reception to let is into the building. After buzzing and banging for twenty minutes, a little bit more aggressive banging on the door saw it magically open (by force, not through anyone unlocking it). However, when we mentioned this the following morning, the staff indicated they do maintain a 24hr reception and will follow up with the staff from the night before, so hopefully this was an isolated incident.

In summary though enjoyed the stay at the hotel, and would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple